4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...

Go down 
+11
Tembo
sundowners
colley2.8
Silverfox
sylvia johnson
ratrace
gemini
twende
Mudplugging
jellybenitez
Tom Mc
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 6:57 am

Tembo wrote:
Was looking at ferry dates, prices today and see, not without some horror, that Brittainy Ferries is even more expensive now. Was looking at:

Portsmouth to Bilbao, Wed 01 April
Bilbao to Portsmouth, Thurs 30 April
bunk bed, inboard cabin both ways

£708

Sucks not to be a 'gentleman of leisure' and have the extra time to meander down across France. Might still consider it though, fuel across France compared to that price might make it worth it.  Will keep looking for other deals though.

Anyone else booked a ferry yet?

Hi
I thought I posted a reply to this---------------------------Have you looked into joining their 'club'-----it does cost to join and every year a fee--------but big discounts-----and your mates can use your discount code-----if there are, say, four of you running down they could split their discount with you-----not for you to make a profit but it would mean everybody is quids in
.http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/club-voyage-travel-club
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyFri Nov 07, 2014 9:32 pm

Hmmm....maybe something to consider. Since I only use them once every two year so far, not sure I want to pay a club fee. But will see. Thanks for the tip though!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 12:47 am

I did a little bit of searching for ferries and found leaving 3 days earlier and coming back 2days later the fare was coming out at £508 a saving of £200 odd pounds
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 2:49 am

well done! maybe pass along where you found that deal.

How is the new truck developing?
Back to top Go down
Silverfox
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 4:51 am

That really sounds like a better deal, who is that with Gary. I am Ok with extending the dates to meet that, we would have had to extend the dates anyway if we were going to have to drive down through France to still meet the rest of the dates. I have been emailing Will about the trip and he is very interested if he can get the time off work, so will just have to wait and see there.
How are you guys doing, I'm just waiting for next March to come round to be heading south again.
clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:44 am

I can't remember who it was with I searched through a booking agency, I'm away at the moment when I get home I will check out the history on my laptop and pass on the info
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 5:55 am

Just done a quick check on my iPad, if was direct ferries.com, from Plymouth to Santander march 29th return 28th April but the price has risen to £558 gone up £50 in a week or so
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 11:48 pm

Sounds like a good episode for a Top Gear show... a race between guys on a ferry from Plymouth versus guys crossing at Dover to see who gets to Spain first. Of course in a £300,000 V8 super car with unlimited fuel budget it probably wouldn't be much of a race...but in old overland equipped Land Rovers it would be a challenge!

I would still prefer the ferry option as it is just easier to spend 24 hours sleeping and sipping a beer in the disco bar than searching for euro coins on the French toll roads, but I also have to fly my son over from Western Canada...so that is affecting my budget planning.

Will have a look over the next couple of days and make a call on the ferry...

As to a January planning meeting how does Saturday 17 Jan sound? Location would be close to Abingdon and Gary has the specifics.
Back to top Go down
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 12:04 am

The meeting date is good for us
Back to top Go down
Silverfox
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 1:25 am

Hi Guys
17th good for me too, I'm easy re the venue just let me know Gary and I'll be there.
Regards
cheers1
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 1:18 pm

17th good for myself and Ralf, as he's up for Morocco too.

Since he bought the 3.9 V8 LPG Disco off me he's really gone to town. Bought an Ezi-awn alloy rook rack, Howling Moon roof tent and Hannibal awning set up at Newbury LR autojumble last month, loves the vehicle and the 'extras', now wants to tackle North Africa!

No LPG over there so it'll have to be be unleaded. Prices have really jumped of late. Diesel is 88p and petrol £1.15 ... ouch!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 2:58 pm

17th is good for me.

I will check out the Dog House pub about half a mile from me as our local village pub is closed at the moment as the landlord did a bunk, it may well have reopened by January but the Dog house is a much nicer place, with better food.

If they have no objection to our meeting there I will post address and post code shortly.

The trip can't come soon enough for me getting bored being at home after Route 66 such a come down.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 10:56 pm

We are relly looking forward to the trip. just a shame we will be unable to make the meeting Sad , if things change maybe we will have to wait and see, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 2:09 am

Has anyone got a list of what and what not to take as I am trying to put things together and can put some of the bits on Xmas list that I need cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 5:50 am

Take some warm clothing as it can nippy at night.

Strap a spare door/ignition key to the chassis up on top of a rail.

Make yourself a little lockable storage box to place your valuables - passport/insurance docs/driving licence, photocopies of passport/insurance docs/driving licence, cash, etc.

Don't load up the roof rack too much.

Go as light as possible. Sounds obvious I realise, but everyone makes the same mistake first time out.

Wear 'adventure wear' type trousers, that way you always have a pocket on one or both legs for your passport, etc. when strolling around the markets or whatever. I know folk like to wear a bum-bag for their passport/money, me I think they are too much of a target. Prevention is the key, so carrying around a bag with NIKON emblazoned along the said is sheer folly. Far better to have an old hessian bag for your camera if it's a big 'un. Me I do wear a bum bag for my camera, but it's cheap and small enough to get away with it. If you have an expensive jobbie with a gigantic lens, you have to keep it out of sight as much as possible. That's life!

And by the way, whenever I've been shopping abroad (or in London for that matter), when sitting at a cafe ...

1. Never hand a coat or a bag over the back of the seat - especially when you're sitting outside on the pavement, and 2. I always lift the table leg and feed the handles of the bag though so they are secure. Now let's see the little buggers try running off with your purchase!!!

Again, prevention is the key word. Don't think for a second that Morocco is full of tea leaves waiting to mug the tourists, it's not, the coastal resorts of Spain and suchlike are 1000 times worse, but as long as you are aware of the 'potential threat', then the odd idiot won't be spoiling your day.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:40 am

All good advice Tom.

Clothing: Layers. As Tom says, it can be chilly at night and first thing in the morning and then fairly warm by day. Think about 15c at night and 27-30c by day. So being able to add or take off layers as we go is the best way to go. Good walking boots even if we are not walking much as it is sandy and rocky and can be hard on light footwear. It does get dusty, so a bandana can come in handy.

Pers stuff: I burned my lips strangely enough, so in addition to sunscreen I am bringing lip balm with sunscreen. No mosquito's but flies occasionally.

Food: I only carry down things that are sometimes hard to find localy....good ground coffee, oatmeal, tinned corned beef, sauces and ingredients for making group meals. Bottles of wine. Bread, vegetables, fruit, condiments etc are easy to get locally.

Vehicle: Tool kit, basic spare parts all though don't go crazy as whatever will break will be what you don't have. Better to have the tools, greases, spare nuts/bolts, that will allow you to make a temporary field fix. I am bringing a set of tire changing bars but a patch kits, spare valves could come in handy.

Water: I try to leave town at each resupply with about 60 litres of water for three days. never used even close to that, but good to have some extra. My Lifesaver jerry can as well. Also, I carry two large 1.5 litre water bottles in the vehicle for drinking and tea during the day. I won't carry or buy bottles water because the locals just dump them and many areas are just covered in garbage outside of towns.

Towing/Recovery: I carry a 10m tow strap and small shovel. Winches not required. Sand ladders or bridging ladders will probably come in useful. I will be getting either sand channels or bridging ladders for the trip this year.

Oils/Greases: We found it easy to find motor oil but gear oil was not so easy. So I carry a good supply of 90w gear oil, Tranny fluid and some mineral diesel oil as Tembo doesn't appreciate the synthetic stuff.

CB Radio: A decent quality CB with the biggest antennae you can get.

First Aid: Dilys is our designated medic but always good to keep a well-stocked first aid kit, especially with any medications anyone needs. No malaria in Morocco.

Docs: Passport, V5, for the Morocco border. No international drivers license needed. Medical travel insurance a good idea.

Cash: I changed £600 pounds and never managed to spend it all. We are in country a bit longer this time so will probably change £800 into Dirham.

We can go over more of this stuff in January at our planning meeting...

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 9:49 am

All good advice James and Tom take the minimum you can for comfort and a few little treats.

Clothing wise I took a few of the synthetic base layer type tee shirts as you can wash them and they dry in about 10 minutes, cotton tees are a nightmare they get smelly quickly in hot weather and take an age to dry.
Same synthetic outdoor type cargo trousers with zip off legs (trousers and shorts in one) underwear doesn't take up much space so bring along enough to allow a few day between proper campsites with clothes washing facilities.
As already mentioned strong footwear is essential we had a flip flop related injury last time.

As for spares if we have several vehicles of a similar type eg Defenders I would suggest pairing up and sharing
Hoses, fluids etc so we dont duplicate loads of stuff.
I have bridging ladders, shackles and strops which I will bring along.
LED head torches and lanterns are a must as it does get dark early the time of year were going.

Cooking equipment, whatever your preference for fuel petrol is plentiful, gas is also available but you could be limited by regulators and taking enough for the full trip can be bulky and heavy.

Food wise last time I took a fair amount of tinned curries, chillies, packet instant rice with the odd sweet and sour chicken as well as hard cheese, tinned fish, Mathewson type sausage, corned beef, pasta and sauces, fresh fruit, olives, bread and veg are so cheap to buy so don't waste space and weight bringing them along.

Make sure you keep the weight down low and secure it firmly last thing you need is the load shifting on a steep side slope or dune.

Alcohol I found a bottles of wine and spirits takes up less space than cases of beers and soft drinks are readily available to use as mixers.

I hope this helps !

Back to top Go down
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 7:01 pm

Thanks Guys
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 am

Hi all

Again all good stuff mentioned,
Hi we will have  recovery gear, sand mats, compressor, tyre levers shovel, tool box, some spare bits and bob’s, wheel bearings for Discovery/Defender, belts, oil’s power steering, gearbox, box of bits and bob’s for bodge jobs.
We will be bringing fewer clothes as mentioned light stuff that will wash and dry quick, quick dry towels, some tins and other stuff hard to find in Morocco, as said you can buy bread veg and fruit in towns.  We will be cooking with gas, water approx 45-60l.
Make sure have all paper work duplicated, and in different places.  
Dilys will be ok for first aid duties maybe some others as well, both Dilys and I have first aid certificate's.

here are some links to douments needed for Morocco

first is a document for importing your motor
http://www.douane.gov.ma/web/16/45#http://www.douane.gov.ma/d16ter/Presentation.jsf

next an explaination how to fill in, from Chris Scotts book
http://morocco-overland.com/docs/index.htm

next is a doc to fill in if you have a accident
http://morocco-overland.com/docs/images/constat-amiable.pdf

next is a doc to fill in with your name and passport dedails you can give to ploice of hotal instead of passport
you wil find it down the page on Chris Scotts page, fiche.doc

If you can buy one of Chris Scotts books
Sahara overland a route and planning guide  isbn number 1-873756-26-7

Morocco overland isbn978-1-905864-53-9

A nother good book by Chris is Overlanders Handbook isbn 978-1-905864-07-2.

clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 4:33 am

So I have done some numbers in driving versus ferry.

Driving:
Distance by motorway:    1380 miles  (2222 km) Calais to Tarifa
Average price of fuel:       £1.04/litre   (France 1.03/Spain 1.05 as of Sept 2014)
Total fuel cost: £265.00    (Tembo at 25mpg x 3 tanks of fuel in 85 litre tank)
Dover-Calais flexi ticket    £75  (P&O Ferries flexi ticket)
Total cost:  £340 each way
Driving both ways: £680   (not including meals, camping fees, tolls)

Ferries: £668
Fuel across Spain: £206    (600 miles each way at 25mpg average)
Total: £874

Difference in total compared to driving: £194

Last edited by Tembo on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:40 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 4:36 am

Given the above, and the fact that I can't take a leisurely drive due to work commitments, I have opted for a ferry both ways.

I am booked on Brittany Ferries:

Outbound: Portsmouth-Santander, Tuesday 31 March, departs 17:15, Ship is Pont Aven

Inbound: Biilboa-Portsmouth, Thursday 30 April, departs 15:30, Ship is Cap Finistere

Total cost with an inboard 2-berth cabin each way: £668

Have just paid the £35 deposit for now. Balance due in mid-Feb and can cancel anytime up till then.
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 10:50 am

Tembo wrote:
So I have done some numbers in driving versus ferry.

Driving:
Distance by motorway:    1380 miles  (2222 km) Calais to Tarifa
Average price of fuel:       £1.04/litre   (France 1.03/Spain 1.05 as of Sept 2014)
Total fuel cost: £265.00    (Tembo at 25mpg x 3 tanks of fuel in 85 litre tank)
Dover-Calais flexi ticket    £75  (P&O Ferries flexi ticket)
Total cost:  £340 each way
Driving both ways: £680   (not including meals, camping fees, tolls)

Ferries:  £668
Fuel across Spain: £206    (600 miles each way at 25mpg average)
Total: £874

Difference in total compared to driving: £194

It does make a lot of sense to take the 'ferry'------when you consider the stress of driving through France in a hurry --on you and the Landy--wear and tear all has a cost-------also doing it as fast as possible, there is a big chance of you sticking to toll roads, and unless you 'wild camp', night stops will cost. Overall not much difference at all.
We have done it (South of Spain/Portugal) both ways, but now we are never in a hurry it more the weather (time of the year) that is the final decider------But we have got that horribly wrong Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 7:50 pm

If I had the time, I would definitely take my time and drive down, but that won't be an option for another decade and a bit (if then!). The ferry is a pain in the wallet, but since the costs would work our roughly the same (or not enough difference to really matter) with tolls, camping, meals etc, it makes the most sense for me.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Can't blame you James, I'm going to be in the lower half of Normandy for 2 weeks before we set off so I may drive down as driving 250 miles north to catch a ferry to Blighty then catching a ferry back south to Spain doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I may try and meet up in northern Spain and convoy down with the ferry bods.
Are you going to blast down to Tarifa in a day as last time or stop half way down ?
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 4:42 am

I am sure we can meet up in Spain and convoy down. I don't think we need to blast down either if we only need to be in Tarifa by 5 April. Our outbound ferry lands on April 1st, so will have four days to make the RV in Tarifa on the 5th. Maybe if everyone reaches Tarifa a couple of days earlier we can cross to Morocco on the 3rd or 4th. Tom and Ralf, if they can make it a few days later, can still catch up in Bou Arfa or Merzouga.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...   Return to N.E. Morocco 2015... - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Return to N.E. Morocco 2015...
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next