4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Vehicle Mileage

Go down 
+2
Assassin
Dead2travel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Dead2travel
Rookie
Rookie

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 9:55 pm

Hi Guys,

For our trip my vehicle of choice is the 150 Toyota Prado, 4lt petrol , Auto. However by the time we start our trip the car would have done 120000km. Could you give me your opinion on the vehicle and if the mileage is an issue?

Thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Its only 75,000 miles so not a lot. Consider these are a large lump with very low power outputs, very low piston speeds, and a seriously over engineered engine. I would be more concerned about fuel consumption.

Take the usual precautions and it should be fine.
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 11:25 pm

there seem to be more problems with extremely low mileage----we had a Granada with over 300,000 miles it ran like new, our last Dodge Ram had over 250,000 and our present one over 200,000 miles---------I consider that low mileage for a toyota
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:41 am

Incredible to think that my 1974 Range Rover Classic ambulance/camper has only done 50,000 miles, about the same coincidentally as the identical (except for year) 1973 RRC I just sold. It's the one in my avatar photo. Fact is ambulances don't do the mileage of 'ordinary' vehicles.

75,000 miles is nothing for a modern engine nowadays, but have to agree with AssAssIn, the fuel consumption isn't going to be pretty! Which begs the question - why did you go for the petrol version?

Last edited by Tom Mc on Fri May 22, 2015 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VikingExplorer
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
VikingExplorer

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyFri May 22, 2015 3:57 am

Hi D2T,

I'm currently driving a 2001 TLC 100-series 4.5 auto, and it has 243000km on the clock. Engine is still sweet as, despite the fact that I am the 5th or 8th (or anywhere inbetween) owner and it has lived it's life in Dubai and Abu Dhabi (today it was 'only' 39C here).

Not sure where you are going, but I agree with the comments about fuel consumption (and in some cases availability). It would only be here in the Gulf and in the US that long term travel with a petrol would make sense.

From what I understand the Prado is a 'light duty' vehicle - just be mindful of how much weight you pack; you use less than you pack, and remember that you can get Toyota parts (and anything else you need) everywhere. No need to pack too much.

Happy travels,

VE
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape-blog.net
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyFri May 22, 2015 7:02 am

I agree, especially excess weight on the roof. Besides, even light stuff on the roof is crying out to be nicked. You have taken it with you for a reason, so obviously will miss it when it 'sprouts legs'.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyWed Sep 09, 2015 6:18 pm

50,000 70,000 200,000 pa small potatoes my 110 just passed 235,000 miles last week and still going strong, saying that I've heard of 200 and 300 TDIs passing 500,000 mile plus
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 4:19 am

My mates Fourtrak passed 700,000 recently, owned it from new, worked hard on his farm, always covered in shyte but always meticulously maintained, it has towed 20 tonne hay trailers and combine harvesters across ploughed fields, broken down tractors, broken plant, and generally been thrashed within an inch of its life. He says it will go onto light duties at 750,000 miles and into semi retirement.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 5:28 am

Whoops I've gone dyslexic its 325,000 not 235,000 so I'm nearly half way towards your mates Fourtrack !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Vehicle Mileage Empty
PostSubject: Re: Vehicle Mileage   Vehicle Mileage Empty

Back to top Go down

Vehicle Mileage
Page 1 of 1