4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Lounge Talk

Go down 
+6
Assassin
Chris S
wideformat4x4
onlyMark
Tom Mc
Jas
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Lounge Talk - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 5:22 am

[quote="Chris S"]
Terracan Jas wrote:

I reckon that manufacturers want them to rot after a certain amount of years to ensure people buy new ones
You have that spot on. mad
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 6:44 am

[quote="Tom Mc"]
Chris S wrote:
Terracan Jas wrote:

I reckon that manufacturers want them to rot after a certain amount of years to ensure people buy new ones
You have that spot on. mad

Yeah its not right.

Previous owner of the Terracan was a elderly man and never took It out between Sept and march and i'm not kidding. Nearly 4 years later on, with me using my truck all year round the side step brackets are starting to flake off. - Road Salt.

I have used some underseal in the most sensitive areas, but I reckon that if I hadn't, the Terry could be looking a bit different underneath.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Jason:

Look at the Dinitrol range of products, not cheap but very effective in treating corroding undersides, chassis and box section internals, and much better than Waxoyl as it penetrates or creeps better into joints on chassis or box sections.

Alternatively you can spray the underside and internals with old engine oil, all you need is a schultz gun and old underseal container cleaned out, using old engine oil is free and uses it again effectively for protection.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 am

That's why folk like me love old Land Rovers/Range Rovers. They may leak like a sieve but they are 'self-basting' when it comes to the chassis and underside. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 7:01 pm

I thought I'd drop into the lounge here just to tell you that the rebuild/resto we have been working on (1964 Aussie Ex-mil landie) is almost finished. What a job it has been....stripped it back to bare metal....7 (at least) layers of paint and lots of body filler. Took a lot of elbow grease that!! Nearly there tho Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 2:34 am

Vixen wrote:
I thought I'd drop into the lounge here just to tell you that the rebuild/resto we have been working on (1964 Aussie Ex-mil landie) is almost finished. What a job it has been....stripped it back to bare metal....7 (at least) layers of paint and lots of body filler. Took a lot of elbow grease that!! Nearly there tho Very Happy

Sounds amazing! Dont forget the pics, cant wait to see.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Open question to the forum. I have alot of memorabilia that I've collected over the years. In particular signed photo's, I'm wondering the best way to keep them in 100% top nick.
At the moment there in a file sleeve in a Heavy Safe. Should this keep my beloved treasures mint till the end of time? Safe from Fire damage and the odd black hole or Nuclear Winter?

Jason
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:20 am

I'll say one thing for you and your tribe, you certainly like a challenge! Yep, piccies when you get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 10:20 am

Tom Mc wrote:
I'll say one thing for you and your tribe, you certainly like a challenge! Yep, piccies when you get the chance.

Piccies I can do. Didn't really think of posting here becaise it's not really overland travel type stuff but yeah....OK....will do right now. I can cut n paste my rebuild thread from another forum to here easy enough Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Know what you mean about the overlanding thing, but this 'Lounge Talk' topic has seemed to develop into an 'anything goes' section. Post away!
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 6:49 pm

I put it here
http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t512-my-landie-s2-resto

If you want to move it to the Land Rover section Tom, move away. I didn't idea to put it there myself until too late Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 3:20 am

Does anyone have any experience with either Saab or Volvo cars? I'm looking for a 2nd car an estate Tourer, and these both come with punchy diesel engines, Auto trans and a host of accessories for very little price.

Ive been looking at the Saab aero 9-3 1.9 & 2.2d auto and the Volvo V60 & V70 2.0 & 2.5d auto's.

Any inputs great.

Jason
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2011 6:38 am

Friend of mine has a V50 estate on a 56 reg, all I know is it's a 2ltr 4cyl diesel but it goes really well and does loads to the gallon (is manual though) - am sure he said he's had 60mpg out of it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:38 am

Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyFri Aug 26, 2011 6:06 am

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=24214

A campervan Towing a Porsche 911 and a RIB Boat. Epic.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyFri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 am

So TomMC is off Over-landing, The USA is skint, there are some Miners trapped underground in wales and according to a documentary, vampires existed.

Whats everyone else up to, got any plans?

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 9:05 am

Work, Work, Work and oh, more work lol!

It's menatl with work but to throw a spanner in we've just exchanged contracts on our first (bought) house and we're due to complete next thursday so have got lots of moving and painting to do angry
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Sep 17, 2011 9:20 pm

Congrats! & What a headache moving can be. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Is anyone watching the Rugby world cup? Ireland's performance against Australia was great, total control and aggression overwhelmed them.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySun Sep 18, 2011 6:00 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Congrats! & What a headache moving can be. Hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Is anyone watching the Rugby world cup? Ireland's performance against Australia was great, total control and aggression overwhelmed them.

TJ

Cheers. Good thing is we've known we were goign for a couple of months or so now so have got a fair bit packed and some decorating done in the old house already. Also, it's only 5 min up the road so I can shift a fair bit on a night after work too.

Not really into sprot much but do occasionally watch dome of the big rugby matches, just not had chance this time round yet.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2011 1:29 am

Would be nice if England can win the Rugby world cup. With all this debt, "world going to end", economy doom talk. A world cup win or event could lift the spirits in these "taxing" times mad mad mad
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 12:19 am

I have finally found a Insurance quote i'm happy with.
£655 annual, 12 months, 15,000 miles, fully comp including mods, EU covered with windscreen and breakdown cover Terracan 2.9 auto. 22yrd old, no No Claims, Insurer is Admiral.

Result.

If I had taken out the policy 3 months ago It would have set me back nearly £1100, that's a saving of nearly 50%!!!!

Result. Im well chuffed. clapping

TJ
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 1:03 pm

Its all round to yours for the housewarming then Chris, that would be a site to behold, lots of 4X4's parked down the street.
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 8:36 am

Assassin wrote:
Its all round to yours for the housewarming then Chris, that would be a site to behold, lots of 4X4's parked down the street.

So far that's the only problem we've had - lack of parking - I suppose you'd call it a hamlet as there's only 12 houses and it's on a very narrow lane. We can just about squeeze the 90 and jimny on the drive together but then the propblem is where to dump everyhting else getting nowhere fast
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 9:06 am

Chris S wrote:
Assassin wrote:

So far that's the only problem we've had - lack of parking - I suppose you'd call it a hamlet as there's only 12 houses and it's on a very narrow lane. We can just about squeeze the 90 and jimny on the drive together but then the propblem is where to dump everyhting else getting nowhere fast

eh, close the street for the day. Most are probably elderly peeps who never use the road anyway.....
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 11:26 am

No excuses Chris, if its a hamlet its surrounded by fields and we have 4X4's, problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 4:51 am

I have now got this web-site based on 4x4's, fishing camp-sites etc. Just a bit of fun to go with this forum. www.jasonsadventures.webnode.com

Have a look and meet the A-Team. clapping

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lounge Talk
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next