4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Lounge Talk

Go down 
+6
Assassin
Chris S
wideformat4x4
onlyMark
Tom Mc
Jas
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Lounge Talk - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 6:10 am

I'm still having problems getting a reasonable insurance quote for the Terracan.

Best I've had is just under £1300(£1500). 3rd party fire & theft, 20,000 miles a year. No-mods listed-(Listed).

Thats on go compare, compare the market, direct line, swift cover, admiral you name it.

Anyone got any ideas?

This time last year I paid £900 fully comp. What is going on?

Jason
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 10:41 am

Jason:

A good question, the simple answer is the compensation culture, criminal activities such as fraud, and the legal people are responsible for such frauds.

Many fraudulent accidents are deliberately staged by criminal gangs purely for compensation, these are either disabling the brake lights then braking hard to get someone innocent running into the back of them, others simply stage such accidents with both parties involved for claims, and variations of both these scams. These are the criminal elements, and this is a massive problem as many gangs operate nationally in such scams.

The legal people are the Police, solicitors, and even the legal system itself, which conspire against insurers. In the event of an accident the Police may call a recovery company on their approved list of contractors, in return the Police get a referal fee from these recovery companies, the recovery companies then sell details of the cars owners to claims management companies. Claims management companies either sell on details, or submit claims for injuries or other compensation themselves on a no win no fee basis, thus encouraging people to call them and submit a claim for compensation whicn may or not be fraudulent.
Solicitors them become involved and negotiate a settlement, and as the claiment receives 100% of the compensation, the solicitors fees are dealt with seperately, these are exhorbitant, and another growth area for solicitors, and the massive charges and fees.

Who wins??? the Police, solicitors, claims management companies, recovery companies, and he no win no fee companies.

Who loses??? the insurers, and ultimately the motorist.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 am

To reduce it a little, is a limited mileage policy possible?
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 7:04 pm

Try Adrian flux - they have a fairly decent 4x4 department.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 12, 2011 9:05 pm

I'm hearing you Assassin.

Im faced with a depressing situation. £1500 is alot of money. I have also tried Adrian Flux, not one of the cheapest im affraid.

I do have one dismal option. Sell the Terracan. The replacement vehicle would be a pick-up. The reasons why are that I can pick up a 2003 60k miles toyota, ford, mazda, nissan, isuzu, mitsi double/single cab for around £2000 at a trade commercial auction. The second reason is that the Insurance is cheaper, £970 fully comp.

I would lose any mods I have mad to the Terracan, but like ive learned, a standard vehicle is not a bad thing.

Difficult times indeed.

Thanks for help.

Jason

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: modified insurance   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 13, 2011 4:15 am

Have you tried Frank Pickles they only insure modded vehicles they believe people who modify will take more care of their cars.

My Frontera insurance with over size wheels and a 2" lift was 110.00 the lowest other quote I had was 400.00 and that was as standard they wanted 900.00 with the lift etc
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 2:37 am

Frank Pickles is with Adrian flux insurance for 4x4. Prices are the same for me.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 5:05 am

My old 1973 Range Rover ambulance with a 300 Tdi lump is only £142 per year (limited mileage of 7,500 miles)

My younger 1994 Range Rover 200 Tdi is just £270 with unlimited mileage

- both fully comprehensive with 'er indoors as a named driver

... but I don't suppose you wanted to hear that. doh
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 14, 2011 7:22 am

It would probably be that cheap if I was alot older, but at 22, despite 5 years of trouble free motoring the price is high.

Back in 2007 I bought a Mazda BT50 2.5 tdi Single Cab NEW for £9995, The Insurance then was £690 fully comp, when I bolted a host of accessories on to it it went up by £80!

Yet 4 years on Im paying 2x as much, its insane. And I cant even get the £690 on a single cab pick up that I got 4 years ago when I first started driving Im looking at £900, 10,000 miles a year!

My mothers ford fiesta is £610 per year and that's a 1.2. I'm lost for words.......
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 7:29 am

I got the Frank Pickles info from the Frontera's owners website and as you say they are not now doing 4x4's

Try these
http://www.nfumutual.co.uk/you/motor-in ... urance.htm
http://www.noeldazely.co.uk/4x4.html
http://www.sureterm.com/4x4-insurance/

Could be worth a look
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 11:42 pm

Thanks, ill see what they can do.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:49 am

Of course, keep forgetting that in reality I'm an old git. Forgot my own age over the weekend, p****d off when I found out I was two years older than I thought. censored censored censored mad
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 11:19 am

When you get to your age Tom, nobody minds you being a couple of years out.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 11:50 am

Nobody but me!!! No
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 6:23 am

Anyone know of a 4x4 Van? I know of the Renault Kangoo 4x4 but its too small for me. Didn't know if there was anything Vauxhall combo, Fiat dablo siz or bigger. Ive seen some ford vans in canada have 4wd if only........
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 6:11 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Anyone know of a 4x4 Van? I know of the Renault Kangoo 4x4 but its too small for me. Didn't know if there was anything Vauxhall combo, Fiat dablo siz or bigger. Ive seen some ford vans in canada have 4wd if only........

there's a few sprinters and iveco dailys about in 4wd and apparently ford are going to be doing a new 4wd transit
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 10:50 pm

Sounds good. Just having AWD on a van could be useful. When I worked at M4 van centre with my dad we used to sell lots and lots of Citroen Berlingo XTR+ and Dispatch XTR+ because they have a front Limited Slip Diff as standard. Which was very popular with Vets and emergency services. Odd styling but very, very practical. The difference between a Front wheel drive van with a open diff and one with a front LSD is incredible.

Jason
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 23, 2011 10:55 pm

Ohhh and the Terracan is staying just will have to save for the high insurance bill.

What can replace it............. and what do i change my name to............. too difficult.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Sounds good. Just having AWD on a van could be useful. When I worked at M4 van centre with my dad we used to sell lots and lots of Citroen Berlingo XTR+ and Dispatch XTR+ because they have a front Limited Slip Diff as standard. Which was very popular with Vets and emergency services. Odd styling but very, very practical. The difference between a Front wheel drive van with a open diff and one with a front LSD is incredible.

Jason

Thats worth knowing - I've been looking at the 4wd kangoo but even just a slippy diff 2wd one could be just what am looking for on those days I don't need the 90 for work. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 24, 2011 12:36 pm

There is always the Skoda Yeti Chris, although still to new to find any secondhand bargains.

"and what do i change my name to............. too difficult." Quite Jas, better sticking to the devil you know. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 am

Tom Mc wrote:
There is always the Skoda Yeti Chris, although still to new to find any secondhand bargains.

I do really really like the look of the yeti - I reckon if they did one as a commercial it could be a good seller also.

Need to replace swmbos' jimny at some point too - she wants a diesel car but I think she really needs to stay 4wd as where we live doesn't usually get gritted til later in the morning and I know the jimny has given her a lot of confidence over winter.

Have owned a couple of older legacy's in the past and they were great just very thirsty (thankfully one was LPG). Theres a few 2000 reg ish audi allroad estates in diesle kickign around for reasonable money or an XC70 volvo would tick a lot of the right boxes but she reckons she'd look like a vet driving one of those Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 am

Both very good but also both large motors, very often the female of the species tend to like smaller cars ... especially after running a Jimny. The Audi and the Volvo would seem like tanks compared to the Suzuki, worth considering.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 3:30 am

The yeti is a great vehicle. I have driven one a few times and its really good on road. Not too sure off it but it has ok ground clearance and 4wd.

Funny you should say about going from a Jimny to a Volvo because my Uncle did that a few months ago. Went from a Jimny off road commuter to a Full on cruise control V70. He has got used to it over the months and the fuel economy is 2x as good as the Jimny was.

The Free lander TD4 commercial is at rock bottom low prices at the moment. We picked up a 2004 TD4 auto commercial with 59,000 miles for £1400 at Manhime Auction @ Dursly. Lots of electrical company's and motorway maintenance groups are swapping for newer vehicles at the moment. Good bargins. All are in White tho.

I'd like to see Van manufacturers offer a super low 1st gear on their transmitions. Like on lorrys, ATV's or even like Low ratio but with no 4wd. Would make it easier getting in and out of building sites or fields especialy if a trailer is in tow, more control. If the van was loaded to the max, stopped in traffic on a hill it could be useful getting the van moving instead of smoking the clutch out.

Jason

& Another thing that would be really worth while is manufacturers sell their new vehicles with the chassis and running gear coated with that waxoil stuff or similar. The amount of salt left on the roads over winter can really wreck the underside of a vehicle if not washed off. I know it can be done after purchase but what a inconvenience....
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:55 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Both very good but also both large motors, very often the female of the species tend to like smaller cars ... especially after running a Jimny. The Audi and the Volvo would seem like tanks compared to the Suzuki, worth considering.

She's quite adaptable - she didn't mind the 130 too much thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 EmptyTue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

The Free lander TD4 commercial is at rock bottom low prices at the moment. We picked up a 2004 TD4 auto commercial with 59,000 miles for £1400 at Manhime Auction @ Dursly. Lots of electrical company's and motorway maintenance groups are swapping for newer vehicles at the moment. Good bargins. All are in White tho.

& Another thing that would be really worth while is manufacturers sell their new vehicles with the chassis and running gear coated with that waxoil stuff or similar. The amount of salt left on the roads over winter can really wreck the underside of a vehicle if not washed off. I know it can be done after purchase but what a inconvenience....

I have considered a freelander van a few times but to be honest, the tiny bit of MPG that I'd save doesn't really swing it. I know they can do 40mpg but in reality it's more likely to be a fair bit lower.

I reckon that manufacturers want them to rot after a certain amount of years to ensure people buy new ones
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lounge Talk   Lounge Talk - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lounge Talk
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next