4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier

Go down 
+2
graeme
kevinf
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier Empty
PostSubject: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 8:17 am

help required

just fitted a recently acquired 2nd hand bonnet c/w spare wheel carrier and i assume may have some bits missing

my question is which way does the wheel fit on the bonnet i.e outer face of wheel up or down.

i,ve tried it both ways and either way seems possible but neither seems to be correct??

cheers kevin
Back to top Go down
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 9:37 am

i`m sure my series 3 had the wheel face facing down , that way i had the jack and tow rope under the cover and not bouncing around in the back .
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 10:12 am

that is correct outside face down then as you say,you can put stuff in it under the cover,,bottle jack tow rope shackles etc,,,,, thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Because in effect you are left with a bowl on the bonnet (as you say, outside of wheel facing the bonnet), when I owned a Lightweight many moons ago I had two decoy ducks in the spare wheel nesting on a bed of hay. Gave the spectators a laugh when trialling in the AWDC (All Wheel Drive Club) back in the early 80's. It was even funnier on the motorway as passing drivers and passengers did a double take. Great ploy for breaking up a long journey Laughing
Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 11:19 pm

thanks for the prompt replies

thats what i thought , but that means i am missing some bits any ideas where i can get a picture/parts list so i know what i need to make!!

cheers kevin
Back to top Go down
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptySat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm

kevinf wrote:

thats what i thought , but that means i am missing some bits any ideas where i can get a picture/parts list so i know what i need to make!!

cheers kevin
Contact Phil Gregson on the OLLR forum http://ollr.10.forumer.com/index.php
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 am

kevinf wrote:

cheers kevin

If it's a Defender the spare goes on nave at the top.

I threw my Land Rover Defender spare wheel carrier away and fitted an MOD series three one. Thae spare now fits nave down. The well carries my sand mats rolled up and I have a RR plastic wheel cover fitted.

Kevin. Where are you. I have bits of a modified one somewhere.
mike
Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 8:23 am

hi mike

thanks for the reply,im in sheffield by the way

the bonnet looks like a defender bonnet,it was bought 2nd hand as a defender bonnet and it fits my defender,so im guessing its a defender bonnet Wink
when i fit the wheel nave up and try and tighten the two bolts the area of bonnet around the mounting pins distorts and pulls up towards the wheel!

when i fit it nave down it seems to tighten down better, but i need to fit spacer tubes over the mounting pins(using two bits of tube cut to a guesstimated lenght)

but do prefer the idea of fitting the wheel nave down and using the well to store tow rope/strop etc

cheers kevin

p.s doesnt the mod version use straps to secure the wheel?
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier EmptyMon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

Yes thye MOD uses a strap. That's what I have with the MOD center fitting. I've modified my straps so they have hooks on the ends allowing them to be removed.

Are you going to Driffield. If so pop ove to see me and look at mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier   bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier Empty

Back to top Go down

bonnet mounted spare wheel carrier
Page 1 of 1