4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts

Go down 
+3
Jas
roamingman
Tom Mc
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Empty
PostSubject: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:01 am

Well, have Land Rover got it right with the new Defender?

Personally, while I happen to like the look of it as a brand new vehicle (think it looks brilliant as it happens), as a replacement for the iconic Defender, I have grave concerns.

i.e. panel replacement when they incur battle damage, moncoque construction means the end of live axles, roofracks ... how's that going to work?

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Defend10

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Defend12

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Defend11
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:14 am

Just Googled DC100, the code name for the concept vehicle, and found this:-

www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/defender-concept/photo-and-video

Land Rover want to hear from you, so what are you waiting for?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 6:49 am

From what I have read, the DC100 will not replace the Defender, more of a replacement for the Discovery,
They are still working on a replacement for the Defender, it will be different but no real clue yet.

They will split into Range Rover and Land Rover two sides of the mark. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:43 am

Well that's new, the first I've heard of that. The Discovery replacement eh, can't see that happening. At first the DC100 was being touted as the Defender replacement, perhaps Land Rover Ltd. are listening to it's customers as the DC100 was not initially well received.

Again, great as an entirely new vehicle, but not as a Defender replacement.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:30 am

Defenders are meant to be cheap farmers vehicles am I right? What is this creation?......

Its like paying £500 for a tweed farmers Jacket. Its a Farmers jacket......

Bring back the Daihatsu Fourtrak, Make it simple, and cheap to buy. Problem solved.

Jas
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Well, they basically lost me with the end of the 300tdi.

But Land Rover as a company was largely screwed by the constant changes in management over the last decade plus, with each owner injecting 'new and exciting' ideas to reinvigorate the brand. Granted, they have come out with some great products for the urban lifestyle but increasingly away from their roots.

I think the DC100 concept is a mistake, in terms of replacing the Defender. I would look more at how Jeep has done it with the modern versions of their base vehicle...which is still one of their best-selling models in North America. Modern technology but still maintaining the iconic appearance. Realistically, who is going to take a DC100 out in the bush, or buy it as a commercial vehicle with almost unlimited variations suited to task.

Nope, I will stick with my early model 110, or a series 2A/3 and keep it running until I shuffle off.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyThu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 am

Sadly, with more money than sense, there will be the monied 'adventurers' who will take the DC100 out into the bush - so if Land Rover can sell 'em ...

Wonder how the local corrugated garage in Mali, Bolivia or Vietnam will cope with the diagnostics? Razz

As for "buying it as a commercial vehicle with almost unlimited variations suited to task", I really can't see that at all. Surely there's a reason Land Rover are 'bricks on wheels', you need slab sides for all the variations - don't you? scratch

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 4:17 am

My opinion is they are moving away from the agricultural vehicle which was basic and simple to pander to the image conscious, they may have four wheel drive, but never use it or know how to use it, the furthest they will take it off road is a grass verge, and they will never work it as true off roaders are designed to be worked.
Back to top Go down
loncbt
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 9:32 am

looks like a mini on steroids!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 am

loncbt wrote:
looks like a mini on steroids!!
My thoughts exactly. Mind you, when it comes to odd 4x4's, remember this horror that made an appearance in this forum last year? No

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Bentle10

Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 4:38 am

"Bring back the Daihatsu Fourtrak, Make it simple, and cheap to buy. Problem solved."

That would be good "the land rover recovery vehicle reutrns" Laughing

However, one of the reasons that Toyota bought out Daihatsu, was because D were about to launch the replacement for the Fourtrack and they did not want it on the market! So, bought them out supposedly for the engine that is is the Terios now - they do use use it the Auris for example - and promptly cancelled the Fourtrack because apparently it was so good it would have seriously hurt LandCruiser sales!!!!

Oh, and as for the DC100, weill like Tom, I LOVE the look of it, but as others have said, it will cost a lot more to repair, be easier to write off, is a monocoque (NOT great for offroad)........................so we'll just have to wait and see who buys it methinks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts   The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts Empty

Back to top Go down

The new Land Rover Defender - your thoughts
Page 1 of 1