4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners

Go down 
+4
wideformat4x4
Tom Mc
RGuimaraes
Assassin
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners Empty
PostSubject: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 11:14 am

Warning to all landie and Rangie owners, there has been a large spate of thefts of all Land Rover models in the Peak District of Derbyshire, according to the Police they are nearly all fully alarmed and immobilised with standard fit LR systems.

Most vulnerable are Discoveries followed by Defender models, then Range Rovers.

Police are assuming from the evidence thet they are being stolen specifically for breaking for parts as none have ever been recovered, and the victims are not just residents of the Peak District, but also visitors to the area.
Back to top Go down
RGuimaraes
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 12:43 am

Very Sad

Unfortunately is tempting saving a few quid buying parts in dodgy deals, but what is the sad part is the landise and Rangie owners that most contribute for that black market when chose to buy that cheap ignition or tail light.

DON’T BUY LAND ROVER / RANGE ROVER PARTS IF NOT FROM A KNOWN SUPPLIERS.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 am

Surely these days it's got to be sensible to fit an aftermarket tracking device? If I had just shelled out £50,000 it would be the first thing I did.

In fact, this starts a whole new debate - why aren't all new motors fitted with a tracker before they leave the factory? It can't be cost, as the price of trackers would plummet if fitted in such numbers. If nothing else it would be a great piece of marketing.

Anyone know?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 11:43 am

The problem with that is the usual corruption among certain staff who download the codes and sell them to criminals, remember GM/Vauxhall whose staff sold the codes in blocks of 1000, the Ford Workers who sold the master codes for cars, vans, and trucks, the same would certainly apply to coded trackers fitted on mass.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 6:29 am

Ah, the ol' "human error" problem, or rather in this case, "human greed".
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyTue Sep 11, 2012 7:01 am

If they would have brought Fronteras they would not have had the problem of theft.
Firstly no one wants them and they are like herpes once you got it you can't get rid of it.

And secondly it will breakdown in about 3 miles so you don't need to look far for it Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:17 am

In a update following a conversation with one of my sources:

They claim that it is a nationwide gang operating as groups of smaller cells who set up in disassociated areas who are stealing them, they move them to a secure location and transport them elsewhere for breaking. They believe the components are sold through the normal retail type magazines and free papers, and they have several secure locations where they store the parts.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 11:33 am

Surely not a problem with Land Rovers, all the Old Bill have to do is follow the 'snail trail' of oil deposited on the road back to the thieves den; obvious really!

Fronteras ... "they are like herpes once you got it you can't get rid of it." Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Surely not a problem with Land Rovers, all the Old Bill have to do is follow the 'snail trail' of oil deposited on the road back to the thieves den; obvious really!

Fronteras ... "they are like herpes once you got it you can't get rid of it." Laughing Laughing Laughing

You may find this hard to believe but I've just sold my SWB so may be that not that hard to get rid of after all thumbsup
Back to top Go down
lanedriver
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 pm

I have gone for maximum security on my 1110XS TD5 Overlander..........
In addition to the standard manufacturers security system I have added the following.....................
Tracker For Life £590.00 : Clutch Claw £90 : A big chain and Padlock (placed around the steering wheel, pedals and and drivers seat) £35.00
Of course if the thieves came along with a recovery vehicle they could simply lift my 110 on the back, but with Tracker I should be able to recover it fairly soon.....
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 4:33 am

And with that amount of security it would take them a long time to get through it, they would make a lot of noise; and go somewhere much easier and less risky.
Back to top Go down
loncbt
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:59 am

I just have 2 signs in my disco.... Is there life after death... steal my truck and find out.

and the other is..

If you steal this truck i pity you, its a bag of poopie, but the wife has a special set of skills, she will find you and she WILL kill you
Back to top Go down
lanedriver
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Guys, responsibility for vehicle security lies firmly with the us, the owners; we all know that the manufacturer did not provide good security on the older vehicles, so it is up to us. My visual approach with pedal locks and a chain would put off most of the opportunists, the Tracker surprise does the rest for me and the vehicle should be recoverable.
Another good deterrant is to fit a concealed battery isolator switch; buy a small digitally locked safe and bolt it to the bulkhead with the switch installied inside, run the earth cable to the switch and you have a system that will take the thieves some considerable time to sort out.
The main issue for me though is the Insurance aspect; I have not been able to find an underwriter that will provide full value cover for my vehicles, best I can get is market value of the vehicle. The modifications to my trucks cost a lot more than the original doner vehicle; does anyone have any knowledge on this subject? Is there an insurance underwriter in the UK that will provide full value cover?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 7:51 pm

You can get a value agreed with some insurers, just phone around.
just had my insurance done with Lancaster Insurance. They offered to do it for me. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:20 pm

loncbt wrote:
I just have 2 signs in my disco.... Is there life after death... steal my truck and find out.

and the other is..

If you steal this truck i pity you, its a bag of poopie, but the wife has a special set of skills, she will find you and she WILL kill you

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners   Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners Empty

Back to top Go down

Warning - Land Rover/Range Rover Owners
Page 1 of 1