4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Old Driver - New Member!

Go down 
+2
roamingman
tecmic
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

Old Driver - New Member! Empty
PostSubject: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Allo,

Well...perhaps not so old but everything aches if I do any decorating!!!! Very Happy

I'm retired but still maintain interests in most things...even politics, but I'll stay clear of that. I indulge in watercolours, photography, writing (sci-fi), computers and gadgets in general. I drive an A4 diesel Audi estate(Avant), which I love driving, but I'm itching to get back into a 4x4...a Freelander in particular. I had one, a Mk 1 TD4, several years ago and enjoyed it except for the excessive noise on the motorway and Land Rover's servicing costs! I don't do the motorway mileage anymore so maybe noise wouldn't necessarily be a problem.

I'm not looking at new and in fact, prefer the Mk 1 to the latest 'Ford version.' Another 2Ltr TD4 (BMW diesel) would do nicely. I particularly like the shape and size of the Mk1, which proved popular and sold well I understand.

I will say that I'm curious about several other 4x4's but am slightly put off by the 'family styling' that Asian manufacturers in particular apply to what's supposed to be a rugged and capable off-road vehicle.

Do you think this is a bad idea?
Back to top Go down
http://www.calnemac.com
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyTue May 15, 2012 9:27 pm

Hi and welcome, i am also retired.
You will find lots of advice on here, and all makes of 4x4 are welcome clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 12:57 am

Hi and welcome! cheers

I'm afraid the styling is going that way across the board. Have you seen the proposed replacement for the Land Rover Defender, the DC100 ... weird?

Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/8905109/Andrew-English-drives-DC100-concept-that-will-replace-Landrover-Defender.html

Whilst it may be a great concept for a brand new model, to market it as a replacement vehicle for the rugged, spacious Defender is beyond comprehension.

In recent years, Land Rover let’s face it are usually spot on with the timing of their new models and the fact they create new segments of the market. Again, I can readily see new buyers wanting the DC100 model (or whatever they eventually call it), but as for asking current Defender owners to swap, I really can’t see it - especially with all the sophisticated electronics it will have. Very strange. scratch
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:14 am

Hi again, thanks for the response.

I can hardly believe this...but I went to LOOK at a Mk1 Freelander earlier and have ended up buying a Toyota RAV4!!!!

I drove the Freelander (a 2006 TD4) and didn't enjoy it. It was rough-ish, sluggish and still very noisy! I was surprised to find the same minuscule clutch pedal travel I had on my 51 model, which I thought was a faulty cylinder and had both the master and slave cylinders replaced!

I appreciate it's a different 'kettle of fish' from an Audi A4 but the Freelander felt decidedly 'agricultural'.

When I got back to the garage and not wishing to have completely wasted my time, I casually asked if he had any other 4x4's. 3 minutes later I was test driving a 2007 Toyota RAV4 2.2 ltr diesel...knocked the spots off the Freelander!!!
Smooth, nippy, far better road holding and a comfortable, well appointed interior and a good spec. I pick it up next Monday. Sorry, Landrover.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 2:41 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Hi and welcome! cheers

I'm afraid the styling is going that way across the board. Have you seen the proposed replacement for the Land Rover Defender, the DC100 ... weird?

Have a look at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/motoringvideo/8905109/Andrew-English-drives-DC100-concept-that-will-replace-Landrover-Defender.html

Whilst it may be a great concept for a brand new model, to market it as a replacement vehicle for the rugged, spacious Defender is beyond comprehension.

In recent years, Land Rover let’s face it are usually spot on with the timing of their new models and the fact they create new segments of the market. Again, I can readily see new buyers wanting the DC100 model (or whatever they eventually call it), but as for asking current Defender owners to swap, I really can’t see it - especially with all the sophisticated electronics it will have. Very strange. scratch

Tom you must keep up with news, the DC100 is now going to be an entry level vehical between Freelander and Defender.
Still awaiting what the new Defender will be. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 10:42 am

Ah, didn't know that Yoda, now that makes far more sense.

tecmic: Don't blame you buying a 2007 Rav4 over a 2006 Freelander, but had you tried a 2007 Freelander, it may well have been a different story altogether. 2007 is when the new Freelander came out, the one that many describe as looking like a mini Range Rover Sport. It is in fact a very different beast to the old Freelander, but as you say ... the decision is made now.

A good friend of mine, a died-in-the-wool Range Rover man having owned both Range Rover Classics and the P38 "2nd generation Rangie, ran a company Rav4 for about three years and he loved it (as a passenger I thought it was pretty good too), so again I think it was a good move.
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyWed May 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Hi Tom Mc,

I understand that the Freelander 2 is an all round 'nicer' vehicle (I've ridden in one) but I didn't consider it because of it's size or maybe it's the styling that makes it look a bigger/bulkier vehicle. It's why I don't like the Range Rover and Discovery...I think they're dinosaurs, along with the 4x4's from Mercedes, Audi, the Toyota Land Cruiser and the Mitsubishi Shogun etc. which probably won't be with us for too much longer! Also, it's fuel consumption performance would have been a backward step!
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 10:40 am

Hello & Welcome to the forum. thumbsup

Jas
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 4:24 pm

Thanks Jas.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:07 pm

Matey, for RELIABILITY, build quality,overall runnings cost etc. you would find it very hard to beat the Rav4. 'tis a lovely vehicle to drive, surprisingly gutsy and not too bad on fuel. It will very rarely break down or go wrong ( unless like mine, it's gets seriously mistreated) Laughing . So I say, GOOD CHOICE for what YOU need it to do.
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyThu May 17, 2012 8:40 pm

That sounds good to me...I know Toyota have a reasonably good reputation for reliability. This will be my first experience of the marque so I hope it holds true.

Nit picking...I can't say I'm totally enthusiastic about the interior design...the dash in particular. Coming from an Audi, it' s a bit of a culture shock but I'll get used to it. I've also given up phone Bluetooth, a 'smart' steering wheel and leather seats, but I appreciate that if I'd spent a bit more, those things would have come with it. I pick it up tomorrow!

Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyFri May 18, 2012 2:26 am

X$@*oc&s! Isn't always the way? I've just seen another RAV4 in Surrey...same model, same year even same colour but less miles, bluetooth and leather seats. A few quid cheaper!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyFri May 18, 2012 11:41 am

Sod's law strikes again. Know that feeling, ain't nice. No
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyFri May 18, 2012 6:14 pm

'tis the luck of the draw when buying used vehicles unfortunately. As Tom said, SOD's LAW kicks in again! mad
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:50 pm

Yus...say la vee!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:07 am

Or you can look at it another way. If you hadn't of spotted the first Rav4, the vehicle you actually bought, you probably have even taken a second glance at the one you missed out on ... so you'd have been none the wiser.

Besides, the second Rav4 could have been a 'Friday afternoon shift' motor (do they have them in Japan I wonder??? scratching chin ) which could have been a bag of nails, or been in an accident so even after major repairs has ever since driven ever-so-slightly out of kilter, or the cam belt could have given up within a month ...

You can never say what might have been, maybe it was fate and you've ended up with a vehicle ten times better than the bling version. TIME WILL TELL.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! EmptySat May 19, 2012 8:32 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum, Rav 4 eh ! not bad the farther in law has one after years of Discovery's now he's retired he prefers the on road manner and the fact he no longer has a boat to tow.

It's not the vehicle it what you do with that counts, enjoy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Old Driver - New Member!   Old Driver - New Member! Empty

Back to top Go down

Old Driver - New Member!
Page 1 of 1