4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Namibia 2013

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyWed Apr 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I am planning to ship my Patrol out to Namibia next year (assuming I don't need to take out another mortgage). Does anyone have any recent experience of shipping a vehicle to Southern Africa?

Ideally my destination port would be Walvis Bay but that will almost certainly mean the container changing ship in Capetown. It would be quicker probably to collect the vehice there, but I am not keen to drive solo in SA; done it in Namibia several times without any bother.

Is anyone else planning a Namibia visit between May and July next year? If so, be interested to hear from you.

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:07 am

Hi Transnamib,
Yes you certainly can ship your vehicle to Walvis Bay direct from the UK and you don't have to wait for it to come up from Cape Town as Walvis Bay is the 1st port of call in southern Africa for MACS ships.
Mike & I have used this company 4 times since 2004 and have been very satisfied with the service.

We last went out in 2010 when it cost +/- £1700 to ship out in a 20' container plus the port charges in Walvis Bay which were around £800. The return costs were slightly less. You need a shipping agent in both the UK and Walvis Bay but I could recommend both and give you further details if you wish.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 4:48 am

Dear Margaret

Thanks for your reply. Any information about companies used and so on would be very welcome. The best quote I have had so far is £2600 so with port charges this will reach an eye watering £3400 one way. This is clearly not an economic proposition, so anything you can suggest to reduce costs would be much appreciated.

My plan was to spend at least a couple of months in Namibia in the dry season. Last time I was there I went for a month and I hired a vehicle for about £110 a day, but it was only just up to the job, I didn't like it and I would much prefer to take my Patrol. With the pound worth less now this rate will have gone up, so whether to ship or hire is probably going to be a fine balance.

Many thanks for your offer of help and your quick reply.

Kind regards

Mike
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 5:56 am

Mike you have a PM
Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 12:49 am

Mike,

How are your plans going for shipping your vehicle?

When are you planning to be in Namibia?

I have very little idea what our timings will be, but we should be passing through Namibia in the latter part of 2013. Our aim is to be in Cape Town area some time between late October & Christmas.

Always a chance we meet up?

kind regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Namibia timings   Namibia 2013 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:13 pm

Thanks for your message Girlchild, and apologies for not replying sooner. Plans keep changing, as plans do. My original thought was to be in Damaraland/Kaokoland some time in the early dry season - late May perhaps - and then work south through the Naukluft and Namib Rand down to Fish River canyon. Looks like you will be later?

Vehicle is done - have installed a Madman engine monitoring system just to keep an eye on things while on the road; apart from that the Patrol is ready to go. Would love to visit SA but as a solo traveller this might need some expertise and advice or a hook up with someone who knows the problems there.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 7:38 pm

transnamib wrote:
Thanks for your message Girlchild, and apologies for not replying sooner. Plans keep changing, as plans do. My original thought was to be in Damaraland/Kaokoland some time in the early dry season - late May perhaps - and then work south through the Naukluft and Namib Rand down to Fish River canyon. Looks like you will be later?

Sounds like a great trip! Yip, you'll be much much earlier than us!

transnamib wrote:
Would love to visit SA but as a solo traveller this might need some expertise and advice or a hook up with someone who knows the problems there.

Mike - I am interested in what "problems" you are concerned about? Ok, slightly biased, but most problems are big city problems - and no, I wouldn't go into central Johannesburg or Cape Town, just the same as I'd avoid parts of London or Birmingham too! But I am assuming those aren't really the places you want to go to anyway?

South Africans are very friendly people! There is a huge 4x4 community - if you search for their forums, I am sure you'll find welcoming people who can give you on the ground information, loads of suggestions of places to visit, and maybe even people to hook up with.

IMHO, I'd hate for you to miss out on all that SA has to offer because of a few misconceptions. There are so many wildlife parks, so much natural beauty, so much to see and do, I think it would be sad if you didn't cross the border from Namibia ...

Go on ... give it a chance! cheers

Kind regards
African GirlChild

Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: SA anxieties   Namibia 2013 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for your quick reply. And thanks too for the encouragement. You are quite right about the towns - indeed Windhoek over the past five years has become, depressingly, more and more like Johannesburg. I have been down as far as the Orange River before and was very tempted to cross over, so pehaps I'll give it a go on the next trip. The Richtersveld Transfrontier park sounds interesting anyway.

Still debating about shipping my Patrol out as per original plan; shipping costs are eye-wateringly expensive though and anything less that five weeks or more means it is more cost effective to hire. My wife hates me being away for so long and doesn't want to come along, so I have to weight it all up. The Patrol has proved itself in Saharan dunes, salt marsh, and rock down as far as Western Sahara so I really would like to take it.

I have just looked at your website, especially the vehicle preparation page. I totally agree about weight. I strip out all the rear seats and install a home made flat loadbed which takes the really useful boxes by day and becomes my bed at night. An awning tent on the back gives enclosed private space with access to the rear of the vehicle. I know a lion won't take you in a tent but do all lions know that? Sleeping in the truck feels steadier than a rooftent (these rock like boats on the skeleton coast dunes) and with a second spare under the load bed I have nothing on the roof - good for stability and fuel consumption.

I envy you your trip and will follow your travels with interest. Hope to say hello at Northampton.

kind regards

Mike
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 3:32 am

transnamib wrote:
I know a lion won't take you in a tent but do all lions know that?
lol!
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Hummm.... I know elephants don't step on tents, well they didn't in Bots so maybe they've read the guidebooks too

But being woken up but obviously large creatures moving around the tent in the night and then finding the bushes behind the tent being stripped clean of foliage the next morning was probabily the scariest night of my life. I was convinced we were seconds away from being crushed.

As for travelling in SA - I drove around everywhere in a hired toyota hatchback (that toyota went where hatchbacks are never meant to go) and never had an issue. I know people who have had more problems in the US (a friend got 2 bullet holes in his car from stopping in motel car parks) than SA

So the costs are say 2.5k ukp each way + carnet. Would it not be cheaper to buy a vehicle in SA, do a trip and then resell the vehicle - talk to enzo @ http://www.africa4x4cafe.com, and alot less hassle.

Rich

Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: SA travel   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks Rich, I have been thinking along those lines myself, and thanks for the contact.

I am still happiest inside a steel structure (which won't help if you really annoy an elephant of course) and the experience you describe makes me glad I sleep in the truck. I am pleased to hear about your positive experiences in SA and will be looking seriously at extending my Namibia trip.

regards

Mike
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 am

If you mail enzo mention me, (he'll know me as rich with tiggurr)

Note my picture - nice campervan type structure, I like sleeping inside too although have camped alot in east africa and southern africa ,never had a real problem

SA is a great place, get in touch with some of the za 4x4 clubs, sure they'll be happy to give you routes etc.

If you want to do a couple of trips and the vehicle is locally registered, you should be able to park it up somewhere for a year and then go back
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:09 am

transnamib wrote:
Thanks Rich, I have been thinking along those lines myself, and thanks for the contact.

I am still happiest inside a steel structure (which won't help if you really annoy an elephant of course) and the experience you describe makes me glad I sleep in the truck.

How often does it really happen that large wild animals enter campsites in SA scratching chin Even when I have done walking trails and wild camped in game reserves, I haven't yet had the privilege of being that close at night. Yes, been charged by rhinos while on foot during the day, but we were being a little silly ... Embarassed

Botswana - different story perhaps ... Wink

transnamib wrote:

I am pleased to hear about your positive experiences in SA and will be looking seriously at extending my Namibia trip.

clapping Now THAT is what I like to hear!! Since you have obviously been to Nambia before, why not skip Nambia this time and head straight to SA Razz 5 weeks in SA will only leave you wanting more! cheers

(Well done Rich - high five!)

rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:31 am

Why thankyou - turns to bow and await standing ovation cheers

Never camped in a reserve in SA, In east africa had elephants infesting the toilet block, and hyenas poking noses into tents.

Bots had a habituated hyena that would try and get fed at camp fires, buffalo that wandered 20 metres away from the tent and we did see what happens if you spook a senior female elli by switching your car lights on as they wander past (she charged the vehicle and gave it a good kicking , not our party thankfully)

My fav reserve in SA was actualy Umfolsi and Sushlui (I apologise to african girl child and any others that may take offence at my spelling there) , you could drive around in any old vehicle and I saw more rhino than you could believe there - this is unheard of in other parts of africa (there are 14 in Ngorogoro crater in Tz I think, and you only see them from miles away in my experience)

Oh we did have to rescue my friends bride (literally - in white dress and all) from a Rhino near PMB in a private reserve they got married in.

Do have a confession though africangirlchild - I'm desperate to go to Namib ! as well as back to SA

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 am

just come back to this thread and am wondering what worries you have in ZA . Yes there are places to avoid just as there are in most big towns and cities worldwide and if your fears are of the wild animal type then don't put yourself in the position that will upset the animal,find out the signs which show aggression and don't overstep the mark. Most game reserves tell you not to leave your vehicle unless at certain points and if you are worried then don't camp in unfenced,unprotected camp sites.

Mike and I have had 4 extended (6 month) trips to southern Africa and are still here to tell the tale.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:29 am

iveco4x4 wrote:
Never camped in a reserve in SA

They are almost always fenced in!! Kalgadi Transfrontier park (SA / Namibia / Botswana border) had jackal which snuck through the camp in the dark, but were like foxes here: quite shy, but don't leave your meat unattended!

iveco4x4 wrote:
My fav reserve in SA was actualy Umfolsi and Sushlui (I apologise to african girl child and any others that may take offence at my spelling there) , you could drive around in any old vehicle and I saw more rhino than you could believe there

Yip! Imfolosi / Hluhluwe is the best place for seeing black rhino. This is where we did an amazing 5 day hiking trail (with armed guides) unsupported and sleeping under the stars! No campsites, so the group (we were Cool chose a campsite, and everyone had to do an hour night watch to keep the fire alive and the animals at bay :shock: There is something truly special about viewing animals from foot (rather than vehicle) and we were fortunate to see lots of rhino (quite rare as Rich pointed out) buffalo, and even African Wild Dog (my first sighting - and they had puppies!) Obviously, you don't get very close but an amazing experience.

iveco4x4 wrote:

Do have a confession though africangirlchild - I'm desperate to go to Namib ! as well as back to SA

Rich - I have a confession too - I can't wait to get to Namibia! I haven't been before, and so looking forward to it! Late 2013 ... I thought Mike - who clearly has been to Namibia a lot - might like a change of scenery and try SA cheers

kind regards
African GirlChild

Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:32 am

gemini wrote:

Mike and I have had 4 extended (6 month) trips to southern Africa and are still here to tell the tale.

Margaret

Hi Margaret - thanks for adding your positive experiences about SA! It is sad that so much negative is printed in the media Sad

kind regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:45 am

Hi Africachild,
I've just realised you are living in Bagshot - my daughter is just down the road in Knaphill.
When do you leave on your trip? I'll be grandchild sitting in the October half term so perhaps we could meet up.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 am

gemini wrote:
Hi Africachild,
I've just realised you are living in Bagshot - my daughter is just down the road in Knaphill.
When do you leave on your trip? I'll be grandchild sitting in the October half term so perhaps we could meet up.

Margaret

Margaret - would be great to say hi! However, we are leaving straight from the Adventure Overland Show on 7th October. Are you and Mike coming to the show?

So no, won't be around during half-term - hopefully we'll be in Nordkapp!! cheers

kind regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:55 am

Get a new map - you need to turn right for africa doh

Look forward to meeting you at the show

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:08 am

Yes Mike & I will be at the show for the weekend - we're setting up a stand based on our D.I.Y. trips so we'll see you there.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 8:19 am

gemini wrote:
Yes Mike & I will be at the show for the weekend - we're setting up a stand based on our D.I.Y. trips so we'll see you there.

Margaret

thumbsup
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Namibia or SA?   Namibia 2013 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Dear Girlchild

I just cannot go to southern Africa and not go to Namibia. It is so beautiful and there is so much of it I haven't seen. I would love to go to SA too of course and ideally would spend several months wandering about taking it all in, but for various reasons really extended stays are not feasible at the moment, hence my change of plan about shipping out the Patrol. Travelling through the country from the Kunene river will give you some stunning wilderness that will vary in drama and beauty as you move south. And there is of course Etosha on the way.

Hope to swap some experiences at the Overland show.

Mike
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: SA worries   Namibia 2013 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Dear Margaret

Thanks for your message. Not really worried about the wildlife so much, though always slightly nervous on my own as changing a tyre solo in lion country is not the most calming of experiences. My "worries" are more just that the culture is unknown to me. I have never met anything except friendly helpfulness in rural Namibia and it is nice to hear from Girlchild that the same is true south of the Orange river.

Look forward to meeting you at the show. Thanks again for all your help with the shipping plans, but with a couple of elderly and infirm relatives now quite ill I can't make plans for being away for months. A great shame as I love my Patrol and I am well practised in living in it from my Saharan trips.

best wishes and hope to speak to you in person at the show.

Mike
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 EmptySat Aug 18, 2012 6:10 am

transnamib wrote:

I just cannot go to southern Africa and not go to Namibia. It is so beautiful and there is so much of it I haven't seen.

Never fear ... we'll keep working on you ... "there is so much of it I haven't seen" of South African either ...

transnamib wrote:

Hope to swap some experiences at the Overland show.

Mike

I'd love to! Make sure to come past cheers1

rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Namibia 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Namibia 2013   Namibia 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

Namibia 2013
Page 1 of 1