4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Playing In The Snow

Go down 
+2
Jas
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Playing In The Snow Empty
PostSubject: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Its been a great evening, locally the snow started dropping around 3pm and continued, then settled over the gritted roads of the East Midlands, so it was time to go and play in the snow. Some friends saw me out and the mobile didn't stop for about 2 hours with people seeing us and wanting to come and play, the other half was once again my secretary taking all the calls while i was driving.

When we hit about 20 vehicles, some we knew, others we didn't as they just decided to tag along for the fun; then the theme tune from Convoy came on the radio and we were in hysterics, and decided to head for the Peak District for a little off road fun; after hitting the local 24 hour petrol station which is always open even during a little snow our numbers were still 20 and we all filled up. Four more Landies came in because they saw us and asked what a large group of us in 4X4's were doing, we told them and they filled up and we now had 24 of us all heading to the Peak District to do some lanes in the snow. As we moved past all the idiots putting our insurance premuims up with their pathetic attempts at driving we hit the quiet lanes and began, as we counted vehicles we saw we had collected another 7 vehicles at the back of our convoy.

We split into small groups and did a number of lanes and a good time was had by all, many other vehicles joined us and we must have had close to 60 vehicles in total as many others had the same ideas.
There were all different makes of vehicles, Landies, Fourtraks, Shoguns Rangies, Troopers, Terrano's, Suzy's and even a Terracan joined our ranks, everyone had such a good time that we felt we had made a few more off roading friends for future forays.

Its 2.33 am and weve only been back about 15 minutes, funny how time flies when you're having fun.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptySun Feb 05, 2012 7:33 pm

Terracan!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:16 am

No, it wasn't you unless you're retired and looking to try your vehicle out like he was.

He did learn a lot though, particularly about off road driving and was surprised what his vehicle could do.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:30 am

No it was not me. Its good to hear another Terracan out and about!

Went to bed last night 50mm of snow, woke up this morning.......all gone........ bawling
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 am

When we came back this morning the onboard temperature sensor was showing around +2 and it began thawing then, and its still thawing so no playing today so we don't trash lanes.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:40 am

At least I got a chance to test out my tyres on the stuff. So now I know their limits in case the 4 foot drifts roll in to town. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 11:30 am

Gutted! Decided to go and have a play yesterday so mid-morning loaded up with ropes, shackles, cans of diesel and petrol (just in case - you never know who or what you're going to come across), sleeping bags, even a stove with gaz bottles ... basically the works!

Thought I'd warm up the cab then it happened - realised the blower wasn't working. Looked high and low but couldn't find the problem. Grrrrr!!!! mad Without a blower you're stuffed, how are you supposed to resuce people when you can't even see where you're going, not to mention feeling cold all day? Don't forget the Range Rover ambulance has no bulkhead, so that's a BIG area to warm up.

No choice, had to bite the bullet and unpack. No playing in the white stuff for Tom. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 12:49 pm

Did they even come with heaters Tom?

We have a two burner petrol stove which is amazing, 5 minutes at -15 and the Shoguns as warm as toast, great for defrosting.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 9:36 pm

What a fantastic result! Not so sure it would have worked down here as "southeners" generally are not that friendly...though saying that there is definitely a "community" feeling when the 4x4's get together.

I was at Harbour Hill yesterday with fourwheeldriveclub. Everyone had a great day with a lot of new members and even one who was driving by and got curious! he was in a stock Vitara with road tyres and was still amazed at what it managed, so he's now looking on ebay for a second set of wheels and tyres..he's got the bug!!

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyTue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 am

maadmaan10 wrote:
he was in a stock Vitara with road tyres and was still amazed at what it managed, so he's now looking on ebay for a second set of wheels and tyres..he's got the bug!!
... and some fat bills heading his way, that joy is yet to come! Wink
Back to top Go down
anka
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyFri May 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Thank for you sharing information.

Back to top Go down
vikash91mehta
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 4:30 pm

Playing in snow is really amazing experience ! I love snow infect. I would say that snow must be falling in every month. so we would surely enjoy the snow & will keep playing in snow !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:11 pm

vikash91mehta wrote:
Playing in snow is really amazing experience ! I love snow infect. I would say that snow must be falling in every month. so we would surely enjoy the snow & will keep playing in snow !
EVERY month!!! Where in the world do you live? I would guess - The Himalayas.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 am

Maybe Snowdonia.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:59 am

Or Snow Hill in Maryland, U.S. where they sit about all day listening to Snow Patrol? I see where this is going. tongue
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:03 pm

Would have replied earlier but I was snowed under.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

... a flakey excuse!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Playing In The Snow   Playing In The Snow Empty

Back to top Go down

Playing In The Snow
Page 1 of 1