4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Stuck in the snow - the next day

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
pixmin
Rookie
Rookie

Stuck in the snow - the next day Empty
PostSubject: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 7:05 pm

http://pixmin.org/photos/Iceland/2011/Langjokul/Day/

So, we stopped trying to get ourselves out of the deep snow at about 4am (after also watching some amazing Northern Lights) and slept a few hours. 8am we continued digging and finally managed to get moving just before lunch time. We passed the deep snow, stopped to realize and celebrate, and the car decided to stop. Impossible to start it again. After a while trying everything we could think of, I remembered hearing about that trick when you gently hammer the starter while trying to start the car... worked wonders!!! And at that point, a Nissan Patrol on fat tires came out of nowhere, after spending 12 hours or so not seeing a soul... Although a little sad it didn't come earlier to pull us out (of our misery one could say) we were very happy it made a nice track for us to follow, otherwise we would probably have had to turn back.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyWed Oct 26, 2011 7:45 pm

Glad to hear you got out at last, some great photos there, we had a farm on top of a hill in Scotland, used to see the Norhern lights. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 am

Glad to hear you got out ok. Love the pics.

What sized tyres do you have on the Jeep?

TJ
Back to top Go down
pixmin
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:24 am

Thanks Smile We were prepared to spend the night out and had warm tea in the thermos Wink Always have to be prepared in Iceland, just in case...

The tires are 35" but they are mud tires, and I'm not sure why (strong walls?) they get fat in the middle and not at the bottom so they don't get much more width on the floor when deflated :/
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 3:56 am

Ive got to admit. I was very close to getting a XJ Cherokee. Fairly easy to mount 33"+ tyres and they are a serious off road tool IMO.

What PSI did you air down to? I usually go down to 15psi from 38psi when it gets real messy.

TJ
Back to top Go down
pixmin
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 4:59 am

Yes, really good off road Smile Not so good on the road Sad

I went down to 5 PSI, I know I could have gone down a bit more (I've seen people go below 1 sometimes) but we were alone and I didn''t want to risk getting the tire of the rim... It's mud tires, not snow tires like most people here in Iceland have.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyThu Oct 27, 2011 5:15 am

I cant really comment on them to be honest.
I do have some Maxxis Buckshot Mudders that last winter I aired down in snowy fields with alot of success. The tyre @ 15psi was wider and the footprint was longer. Mine are 245 wide tho. I do remember my 265 AT tyres aired down fine.

What transfer case does the Jeep have? Is it Quadra-Trak or Quadra-Drive? One of the two has jeeps vari-lok differentials I didnt know if you have them?

Jason
Back to top Go down
pixmin
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 1:44 am

Actually none of the two, it's an old Command Track system Smile

At some point one of the back wheel was spinning when the other was not moving, so I tried to brake a little and after a few seconds I could see more power going to the stuck wheel, but not enough to get moving. A diff lock doesn't really lock, can't beat a locked axle Smile
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:10 am

Command Trak. Thats the one. Laughing

Still the truck looks cool, & glad you got out all safe and sound.
What I would do to live around there!

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuck in the snow - the next day   Stuck in the snow - the next day Empty

Back to top Go down

Stuck in the snow - the next day
Page 1 of 1