4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

What Photography equipment do you have/use?

Go down 
+6
loncbt
Hilux4x4
Vicar
Tom Mc
maadmaan10
Jas
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Empty
PostSubject: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 5:01 am

I use a FujiFilm FinePix S1600. Standard camera, 3 point Tripod with carry case.

Photography is a new Interest for me and for me this camera has been excellent for a beginner. Easy to use, all kinds of different shutter options, auto or manual focus, flash even takes pictures in black and white.
It has a good zoom, its x15 optical zoom, Ive got a 8gig sandisk memory card in it.
The only issue I have with this camera is the Battery. You need the old school AA batterys. At first I bought the Lithium Ion AA batterys but these are not cheap, now I use Rechargable AA batteries, which might not last as long but it certainly saves the £££££, Ive even got a Vehicle battery AA charger incase they get low out in the field.

I dont have a camera to take a photo of my camera..... So I pulled this pic from the net.

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Finepi10

And here is a link to the techno jargen If anyone wants to know what its all about: http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/specifications/s/finepix_s1600/index.html

What are you www.4x4overlandtravel.com photographers using?

Jason

Last edited by Terracan Jas on Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 am

What Photography equipment do you have/use? ZYFRONT-MD
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18
What Photography equipment do you have/use? 41PVABuhOnL__SL500_AA300_
Sanyo Xacti

These are what I use. Neither are exactly "top of the range" but affordable, easy to use,give good results and have rechargeable batteries. In fact you can get extra batteries from Amazon really cheaply too.
What Photography equipment do you have/use? Salisburysplash
This is a picture taken with the Panasonic while on Salisbury Plain, by my Daughter who was 11 at the time!
What Photography equipment do you have/use? IMG_1886-2
and this one was taken in Wales at the end of October in the rain
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:52 pm

Snap! I too have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18. Bought it when it first came out back in 2007 and it hasn't let me down since. Wonderful piece of kit ... and the 12x optical zoom lens is truly amazing. 36mm - 432mm is one hellava range, so it suits me perfectly.

I took these a few years back when I was experimenting with what it could do, I believe the results speak for themselves. I was sitting in a beer garden (no change there) waiting for my lad to return with another round of drinks so snapped a couple of shots while I was waiting. Not bad eh?

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Dean_s10

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Dean_s11

Once I realised the subject matter was too close, I went for something a tad further away ...

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Dean_s13

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Dean_s14

Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:24 pm

I am currently looking for a small hand held video camera and mount so that I can film outings in the Terracan, any one have any recommendations?

TJ
Back to top Go down
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

PostSubject: What Photography equipment do you have/use   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 8:32 am

I used to have one of those Sanyo Xacti cameras which are far more comfortable and natural to hold than the normal camcorder. I adapted a failed mobile phone holder, with suction cap, to hold the camera in the windscreen. It also came with a remote that was useful. Unfortunately the small toggle s/w went u/s. Possibly because I was taking " action " shots of someone barreling towards me down a shallow stream. affraid Needless to say I got drenched and wonder if some water got into the camera. doh

As photography has been something of a hobby for years, for stills I use a Canon EOS 400D. At the moment it only has one lens so restricted for telephoto or zoom......( there is little use for my old medium format camera )

Replacing the Xacti I bought a Gopro that I can place anywhere over the vehicle either by suction cap or clamp. Takes marvellous footage but has limitations. It doesn't altogether replace the Xacti. Maybe I should bite the bullet and see if the Xacti can be repaired. Could be the price of a more up to date camera. Sad

There are a number of small water proof " sports " cameras on the market that one can fix to roof racks etc or adapt to fit suction caps. idea

Vicar thumbsup
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:06 pm

I have been very impressed with the Xacti - for the price - I have a broken tripod head on the dash and screw it onto this which gives me lot's of adjustment. However, the threaded insert in the bottom of the camera is PLASTIC and you cannot tighten it right up or the thread strips.So for that reason alone I would not get another. I would suggest the Go-Pro as it is a very tough bit of kit. But there are lot's out there - just don't be tempted by those teeny weeny micro cameras on ebay and Amazon. They might be cheap but they are a complete waste of time and money.
Back to top Go down
Hilux4x4
Rookie
Rookie
Hilux4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 7:16 am

Hi,

I just got my GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Edition delivered today clapping clapping They are so clever with all these ad-on's by the time you have all you need it cost you a fortune scratching chin

Does any one of you have one of these? How do you know if you point it in the right direction without the LCD back pack?

Can't wait to test it this weekend Laughing
Back to top Go down
loncbt
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 9:01 am

Got myself a Fuji finepixs s5200, which i've had for around 6 or 7 years and have taken thousands of photos with including this one thats been in 1 of the britpart catalogues..

What Photography equipment do you have/use? DSCF9479

and my nice camera is a Sony DSLR, which i love using to get some lovely pics

What Photography equipment do you have/use? DSC08903

What Photography equipment do you have/use? Swimmer
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 9:08 am

Quality, That last picture is either someone swimming or a scorpion drowning.......

Fuji also work well for me. For the money there excellent.

Jas
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 10:52 am

Jas wrote:

Quality, That last picture is either someone swimming or a scorpion drowning.......
Thought it was Nessie! scratch
Back to top Go down
wilds92_110
Rookie
Rookie
wilds92_110

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 am

Hilux4x4 wrote:
Hi,

I just got my GoPro Hero2 Motorsports Edition delivered today clapping clapping They are so clever with all these ad-on's by the time you have all you need it cost you a fortune scratching chin

Does any one of you have one of these? How do you know if you point it in the right direction without the LCD back pack?

Can't wait to test it this weekend Laughing

I know this was a while back now, but thought I'd let you know that GoPro have released an app, for Live view (you do have to buy a WiFi bacpac £99.99 :shock: ) but I use one with mine and apart from a four second lag its great for using when you can't get to the camera, I do also have the LCD screen but use the app far more than the screen!

They are an expensive bit of kit but the quality is unrivaled! Very Happy

Oh and I use an Olympus OM-10 (35mm film) but would love a Canon 5D mkIII, think I'll spend the £2k on a truck first though. Smile
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 am

that Panny FZ18 is a great camera. My avatar of the gorilla was taken with one of those. Deep in the Rwandan rain forest, not great light, and still that camera performed. Got some great shots with that camera in Kenya and Botswana too Very Happy

I use the Panny now as my backup camera. Main camera is a Nikon D300s which I love clapping Wifey shoots with a Nikon D90, which means we can share (fight over) lenses

Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 11:13 am

Just as well you had a built in zoom, you wouldn't want to be too close to one of those gorillas. Only David Attenborough can do that and live to tell the tale. A gorilla would never harm him.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 7:51 pm

I find the debate on digital cameras quite interesting, I have a Canon EOS which is now about 4 years old and a Fuji finepix which I've had about a year.

Now if I was going to enlarge a picture to say A3 size or bigger and say print it out on a canvas I would use the Canon no question but I've done that twice in 4 years, most of my snaps are taken on the Fuji and viewed on my laptop, TV or iPad and to be honest I'm looking at the content and not the quality as these day apart from 72dpi as used on a web page quality is taken as read.

In a previous life as a wide format printer customers bringing in holiday snaps wanting them enlarged sometime up to and beyond 1000% was a nightmare one customer wanted a picture taken on a phone enlarged on a canvas 3000x1000mm when I tried to explain to her the image would pixilate beyond belief as the image was not of a high enough res her answer was it should be fine as it was taken in America stupid

In the end I enlarged a portion of the picture to the size she wanted and showed here it on screen, what have you done to it she remonstrated, Mad at that point I threw her out and told her never to darken my door again.

My point is in the digital age most images are viewed on far less sophisticated output device than the input device the original image was taken on. Now there is alway the argument for pride in ownership but to be honest why spend £600 on a camera £200 on a lens and then look at the image on a £300 laptop doh

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 6:09 am

Traveling to Africa for safaris, and being interested in wildlife photography, was the reason I invested in a DSLR camera. In perfect light with static subjects, the Panny is still a star. But with moving animals, especially bids in flight (BiFs), the SLR comes into its own.

This is a Rock Kestrel I got in South Africa with the Nikon - not sure I could have got this with the Panny No

What Photography equipment do you have/use? _dsc5911
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 8:27 am

In short ... you wouldn't! The SLR rules when it comes to action shots, especially at distance.

Nice shot, congrats. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptyWed May 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Cheers Tom Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? EmptySat Jun 22, 2013 1:48 am

i use a Sony 1080 and a Nikon Coolpix 5700 and 3 LTL Acorn cameras What Photography equipment do you have/use? Normal_Tamarack_Scotland_055What Photography equipment do you have/use? Normal_trail_camara_278What Photography equipment do you have/use? Normal_trail_camara_279What Photography equipment do you have/use? Normal_Desert%20Storm%20089
just a few
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Photography equipment do you have/use?   What Photography equipment do you have/use? Empty

Back to top Go down

What Photography equipment do you have/use?
Page 1 of 1