4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip Empty
PostSubject: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

You are about to embark on a foreign excursion, let's assume it's somewhere remote and the terrain can be arduous, Mongolia or the Sahara for example. What vehicle spare parts do you take with you?

The way I see it, there are a number of categories you have to consider when travelling:-

Vehicle spare parts.
Recovery equipment.
Camping/cooking equipment.
Vehicle kit (fire extinguisher, water containers, etc.)
Tools.
Personal kit.

Here we'll concentrate solely on Recovery Equipment

You can't take too much as weight (and to a lesser extent - space) are overriding factors. So ... what essentials do you take? I'll start the list, then add your suggestions to this 'Master List':-

~ A double loop rope.
~ Two D shackles (these to be stamped).
~ Lightweight plastic sand ladders.
~ Bottle jack.

Would I take a Hi-Lift jack ... mmmm ... maybe? Undecided on this one. They can be so useful, yet again it's a weight thing.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

You must have very good recovery points on your motor. if not !
Don't take any. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
RobGT
Rookie
Rookie
RobGT

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 am

Hi Tom,

Just some ideas if you drive without a second car to help you;

• in these situations I'll take an air compressor along, so I can deflate the tires in loose sand and inflate when necessary;
  • I would use a pair of aluminum sand ladders, they give more grip in stead of plastic. Plastic can melt with spinning wheels and they will loose grip;
  • on a trip like you're referring to, I would have a winch, with snatchblock and a shovel to dig a hole for a spare wheel as a ground anchor;
  • a second spare wheel or an extra tire with extra tire levers and tube can help you out, when you are at the end of the world;
  • GPS with back track;
  • a sat phone.

In Mongolia and in the Sahara you have to be self supporting, because it's possible you have to wait for days for any help.

Cheers, Rob

Last edited by RobGT on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocruiser.nl
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip EmptyWed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 am

RobGT wrote:

In Mongolia and in the Sahara you have to be self supporting, because it's possible you have to wait for days for any help.
Precisely why I used those as examples. Thanks for your input Rob, good advice. It's good to hear what people consider "essential".
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip EmptyWed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am

Ground anchors for sand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip Empty

Back to top Go down

Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip
Page 1 of 1