4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Future trips

Go down 
+4
roamingman
delica
Tom Mc
mugwump
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 2:41 am

Planning a couple of trips for myself and the family over the next couple of years all being well, first of which will be a trip down through Germany to the alps of various countries. This is mainly to see how are set up works, and to see what needs to be improved.
The second trip will be through the low countries across Eastern Europe and up over the top of Scandinavia and back into Germany before crossing back to the UK and then Scotland.If these go well then look at going further afield.
I hope to keep putting up posts as things develope. First decision is whether to stay with present vehicle or change it. It is presently a Terracan with 105k that has had a problem or two but is running well at the moment.
So do I stick with this vehicle or try and buy another one with less mileage, probs with terracans is getting inexpensive parts for them, so do I look to change for Land Rover/Patrol/Shogun where you can get parts a bit easier, also Terracan quite difficult to work on and my mechanical skills are not the best but I suspect this is something that will have to be worked on Rolling Eyes
Due to the fact there will be the four us that we will need trailer and roof rack, so will have to look in to that as well. Was wondering if you can get adapters for a normal tow bar to allow me to buy a sankey trailer, with changing the tow bar.

ATB

Del
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:41 pm

Given the choice, I would go for a vehicle that is ...

1. Easy to fix should the need arise.

2. The accessibility/availability of spares.

3. The price of spares.

4. Assistance you can call upon should the excrement hit the fan.

In all four cases I would go for a Land Rover. Why? Because they tick all the boxes.

Point 1. I know what you're thinking, run a Japanese 4x4 and it will be far more reliable. Don't forget that Jap vehicles may not break down so often as Land Rovers (so some would say) but break they do ... eventually! This being the case, a giant Meccano kit has to be a better option than its more modern counterparts.

Point 2. Official Land Rover dealers (plus many independents) are to be found in virtually every country in the world. Many Toyota, Nissan, Mitso dealers will only carry the parts for their range of cars, not 4x4s. These they often have to order in, thus delaying your journey. When there are ferries or suchlike involved, this can be a real pain.

Point 3. Although not so important, you expect to pay more abroad. Plus you're only too glad to acquire the part when stranded - at whatever price!!! Even so, generally speaking Land Rover parts tend to be less expensive than Jap or Yank parts.

Point 4. When I say "assistance", I'm talking about clubs, groups, organisation or individual enthusiasts that can help out with everything from advice to accommodation. One thing with a Land Rover, wherever you travel you are never alone! Okay you can make your own luck by contacting Land Rover enthusiasts in advance to either meet up with them en route, or at the very least know their contact details 'just in case' it all goes wrong for you while passing though their region. Take it from me, I've travelled all over and apart from Jeep owners, I know of no other group that are so passionate about their vehicles. I really don't know why, but Jap owners just don't seem to have the same commitment and passion (that word again) as the Green Oval brigade. Okay, they may well do of course, but never in the same numbers, the exception being Sweden when they love their Jeeps even more than Land Rovers!

The Terracan may have been good for you here in the UK, but looking for a more popular 'touring alternative' is a very wise move IMHO.

Back to top Go down
delica
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
delica

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 9:28 pm

I had same dilemma and I have bought Mitsubishi.
Spare parts are everywhere/ Russia, Asia, America.../. It is much easier to find spare parts for Mitubishi then for LR.

If you want drive just in Europe and Africa..go for LR, if you want to drive around the world, go for Mitsubishi or Toyota.
Mitsubishi and Toyota clubs are everywhere, I am member in Russia, Kazakhstan, Canada, Australia...great people always willing to help.

Good luck with your travel.
Back to top Go down
http://www.delicajourney.webnode.cz
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 10:04 pm

Due to the fact there will be the four us that we will need trailer and roof rack, so will have to look in to that as well. Was wondering if you can get adapters for a normal tow bar to allow me to buy a sankey trailer, with changing the tow bar.

ATB

Del[/quote]

if thier will be 4 adults, insted of 4x4 car ie- LR Mit, Toyota, jeep,
I would sugest 4x4 truck clinking teacups

just my opinion, good hunting clinking teacups

edit
speak to Uncal Ray about modifcations regarding Sankys nown on this forum as RLD cheers

Last edited by roamingman on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Be careful about the Sankey. I've heard that the EEC are makeing the NATO hitch illegal for civilain use.

One interesting thing that was said to me in Namibia by both a tented camp manager and two of his safari drivers was.
We don't want the Toyota Cruiser because the parts are too expensive, if you can get them. That coming from a country where the Cruiser holds top spot suprised me.

Somewher I have a list of spares I carry. Not that it did much good on our last trip. Thank you to the Land Rover owners in ZA we got going again.
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Ok after further discussion with the boss, this trip is looking to go from home to Dover then using euro-tunnel (Tesco club cards points should make it nice and cheap). Then from Calais to Cologne to spend a few nights there. Before heading to the Czech Republic, after that to Salzburg/Bavaria, then on into Austria, Italy, Switzerland and then home through France over a three week schedule have not got the schedule fully thought out yet, but hope to take in some mountain passes when in the Alps. So need to find more info about passes, in the Alps how safe it is to travel as one vehicle where not to go etc.

Presently this trip will be in the Terracan, plenty of dealers if needed in these areas and also we are both very comfortable driving the vehicle. Know all the little issues the vehicle has and how to deal with them. Will not be looking at the trailer route so will need to get roof rack in place, for this trip. For the future longer trips will be looking at Mitsubishi L200 older shape aS it seems to fit our needs for a longer trip. Very Happy

ATB

Derek and Family

PS If anybody is planning to be in these areas July/August 2012 would be happy to meet up.
Back to top Go down
delica
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
delica

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:02 am

I am from Czech so if you have any questions, just ask. We also know Switzerland very well.
We always wild camp.

There are old military roads from First World War in Alps which you can drive.

Few pics here:
http://www.cestoffka.cz/galerie/2011alpy6/
http://www.kalovi.eu/fotografie/2011ALPY/index.html
http://www.interlan.cz/chmelik/foto/Alpy_Piemont_2010/index.htm

Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 am

Thank you for that, pictures look fantastic clapping
Back to top Go down
delica
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
delica

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySat Jul 16, 2011 7:00 pm

mugwump wrote:

Always happy to help if I can. Wink
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 am

mugwump wrote:
I'll second that! clapping
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Folks not long back from Ireland where we had a great trip. First week was spent at a house near Galway where we stayed with friends, had a great time fishing walking and touristy bits, and the second week was camping near Clonmel, and trying to ensure we parked on a hill as the starter motor was playing up.
Great campsitehttp://www.theapplefarm.com/index.htm unfortunately very flat so lots of rocking and one thump with hammer, kept us mobile. Starter replaced now after return.
Found that although our tent is good it will be no good for overlanding takes up tooo much room in the vehicle and can be awkward to put up when windy. Also we have far too much stuff as regards cooking, and clothes, how do you get a 13 year old fashion conscious daughter to take less clothes and be as practical (definately not fashion conscious) as her father. getting nowhere fast
Will need roof rack, and after some thoughts we will be changing the Terracan in the spring if we have the money and have decided to go with a Jeep WJ grand Cherokee this is partly a heart choice, have always wanted one. It is really now or never so have decided to go for it.

It will be either the 2.7CRD or 4.0 petrol, and definately automatic. The vehicles are good off road and cruise long distances comfortably, and there is plenty of spares for them out there. I am aware of most of the issues hence the engine choices, hopefully get one with good service record and quiet diffs.

Initially I thought the engine choice was an easy one, I am now having doubts because the petrols are generally cheaper to buy, I then would have spare money to invest in the vehicle, the car will be based uk where petrol is presently cheaper than diesel, it is not the main daily vehicle and will be use for overlanding (3 week trips max) and green laning primarily. The 4.0 l straight six is not a complicated engine and there are more spares to be had but any CRD seems a bit frightening to work on.
Also 4l sounds better but I need and would appreciate some cool headed experienced thoughts on the engine choice. Decided against 3.1TD as it is just a bigger version of 2.5td by VM fitted in Cherokees, which has big issues with cylinder heads, which I have experienced first hand. doh

ATVB
Derek
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 4:46 am

Wondered if anybody knows of any guides as regards routes in the Alps which has any grading as regards difficulty, and where to use as a base to tour around the alps and bearing in mind that we will probably be touring alone. Very Happy

Cheers

Del

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Can’t ever do a job without a hammer, most important tool in the box! cheers

I suppose you could always contact my friend Didier Laroche, one of the leading lights in Club des Aigles (Club of the Eagles) based in Val d’Isère. They are the 4x4 club who run the off-road site at Val d’Isère, the biggest off-road site in Europe! www.4x4valdisere.com

His email is didier@4x4passion.com A ski instructor in winter, off-road instructor in summer, he certainly knows the French Alps. Say I recommended you.

I'm also meeting up with some Italian off-roaders in September. If all goes well I can also pass on their contact info. Watch this space, or give me a gentle dig in the ribs when I'm back.
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 6:35 pm

Thanks for that Tom Very Happy and have a grrreat time on the Landy Rally cheers1

ATB

Del
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyWed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 pm

nice to be recommended Rolling Eyes

www.alpinerovers.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 5:49 am

Made me titter. Was trying to think of folk not related to the forum that mugwump (Del Boy) wouldn't know, everyone knows you Mandy/Mrs Mandy!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: long distant trips 4 up in a pick up, a word of warning   Future trips EmptyThu Aug 25, 2011 1:50 pm

I see in one of the posts you mention the L200 pick up, the load space is indeed good but for 4 people the floor in pick ups are usually quite high and although not a problem in the front the rear passengers soon get fed up with their knees under their chins the rear is not very confortable on long trips unless you have very short legs.

This is certainly true of the Nissan Navara we have just brought for work, the L200 may be different
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 8:40 am

Hullo well choice of vehicle is now down to terracan or RRC either which would be good. Pick ups were written off as my eldest daughter is getting tall now and having looked at L200 complained of feeling cramped in the back. If I do not get a RRC soon I am more than happy to stick with terri.
Have started planning routes with mrs AARGH getting nowhere fast but we are getting there. Which ever vehicle we end up with will post about our planning and put pictures of any mods or changes.

Del
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 6:46 am

OK have decided to stick with terracan mainly due to better the devil you know Very Happy and the RRC will have to wait for a later day bawling . Also trying to start my own business so most money going into that the moment.

Worked on Henry (Terracan all 4x4's given name by kids) today was not to painful cost wise had leak from top of fuel tank had spare tank ready and was not needed sent back no cost, seal for tank sensor was leaking, also not on very tight and not sealed properly by mister Hyundai's finest. getting nowhere fast

Central locking sorted, no parts needed just relay/actuator contacts dried and cleaned.

Wheel bearing ordered for nearside, start searching scrapyards for headlight unit presently held in by tape, cheap plastic bit broken.
Also cambelt needs replacing before trip to europe. One new AT tyre needed

Also need roof rack(any good CHEAP reccomendations) and put in drawer system in rear of terri. Very Happy

Need to work out how to explain my fashion conscious elder daughter why it is not feasible to take three suitcases worth of clothes. getting nowhere fast

Will try and post picky's as we go on.

Derek Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:10 am

If your Terry comes with roof bars then there is quite a few universal roof racks available that can be bolted straight on. Plastic, Aluminium to steel there are a few options and price choices.
Failing that give Justin @ OEC a call, he should be able to sort something out.

As for the draw system there are many options available. Recently at HardTopsUK we have been using the following company to design, build and supply some pull out alluminium draws for 12x UN Mitsubishi L200's that we have just fitted hard tops to. Here is the link to their site. http://www.njaluminiumlinings.co.uk/4x4-samson-aluminium-pickup-load-liner-pr-16136.html
Its not cheap, but its strong, can be easily removed at a later date and when compared to wood or metal construction it is lightweight.
Another option is by using one of our slide out trays that can be found here: http://www.hardtopsuk.com/our-products/mazda/bt-50-06-on/mazda-bt50-tray-slide/ I will check the width between the Terracan arches tonight and see if the item would fit. Just give me a PM or the company a ring if you need advice or help.

Jason
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 8:56 am

Thanks Justin have used OEC in the past and will see what they have.

Also when in the Alps thinking about going to Briancon and driving some of the Assietta roads and the Col du Parpaillon has anyone been on these roads and are they ok for a single vehicle.

Derek cheers1
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:01 am

As said else where , it depends on how far you want to go in a day, wether you are towing a trailer, etc etc etc.
These routes CAN get busy locals and holiday makers from France/Germany/Holland as well as us Brits use them in all sorts of vehicles and for all sorts of events too .. For example the Tour De France uses this area very HEAVILY and both the tracks and the towns are chock a block and indeed even closed for the period ., so check the dates . THEN the local cycling clubs have their own mini events and the church and the Army have events during July/August as well.
However, i will now stop as i dont want my input to be seen to be only a means of promoting my business.
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 5:53 am

Hillbilly Raider wrote:
As said else where , it depends on how far you want to go in a day, wether you are towing a trailer, etc etc etc.
These routes CAN get busy locals and holiday makers from France/Germany/Holland as well as us Brits use them in all sorts of vehicles and for all sorts of events too .. For example the Tour De France uses this area very HEAVILY and both the tracks and the towns are chock a block and indeed even closed for the period ., so check the dates . THEN the local cycling clubs have their own mini events and the church and the Army have events during July/August as well.
However, i will now stop as i dont want my input to be seen to be only a means of promoting my business.

Hi thanks for that if we do go to Briancon everything still in planning stage, we will be arriving a couple of weeks after tour de France( did check dates), but thanks for the heads up on how busy it probably will be. I do not see this as promotion, only somebody giving sound advice to someone who does not know the area and what goes on at certain times once again thanks very much cheers1
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:07 am

You are most welcome.
I've spent the last 20 years working and playing in the region, and am always happy to help.
HOWEVER i dont tend to post said help on forums much these days as there are too many " 2 weeks holiday a year arm chair overlanders" out there who either want me to impart all this knowledge and experiance FOC or slagg me off with the old " you only post stuff to encorage people to book with you" insults.

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:15 pm

mugwump wrote:
Hillbilly Raider wrote:

Hi thanks for that if we do go to Briancon everything still in planning stage, we will be arriving a couple of weeks after tour de France( did check dates), but thanks for the heads up on how busy it probably will be. I do not see this as promotion, only somebody giving sound advice to someone who does not know the area and what goes on at certain times once again thanks very much cheers1
Agree wholeheartedly with Mugwump, I don't see giving advice as self-promotion. As I've said from the off, we're different here. Because several posters are also traders it can mistakenly be viewed that way by some, but I know otherwise. You have the knowledge based on years of experience, so there is no other way of saying it without sounding a bit like self-promotion, there really is no way of getting around the issue. Carry on Hillbilly, if the day ever comes where it's too much I'll say so via a PM, until then carry on as per usual.

Your input and those like you make this forum what it is - a mine of information. If I was left here on my own, it would be a mine of useless information, wouldn't want that on your conscience would you? Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Future trips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Future trips   Future trips Empty

Back to top Go down

Future trips
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next