4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Basic kit for first time overland?

Go down 
+13
wideformat4x4
Vicar
roamingman
Jas
johnfrombrum
Hillbilly Raider
raff209
landy andy
Assassin
Tom Mc
4x4overlander
Vixen
Reddisco
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
shubhrajoshi1
Rookie
Rookie

Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Hi,
Most important of all. Licence, if you do not want to be caught by traffic police. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.globehunters.com/Flights/Miami-Flights.htm
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

PostSubject: Basic Kit for the first time overland.   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 28, 2011 8:36 am

Whilst in the " library " yesterday I perused a copy of LandRover Owner International Issue 12 November 2007. study On page 109 is a list of 18 best bush repairs ever. The list includes the usual...

Araldite
Superglue
Duct tape and anything stronger.
Aluminium foil

Plus...
Nail file, and for radiator leaks...Porridge oats or tea leaves. The dust in tea bags will probably not work. scratching chin

Naturally there is a load more useful info in the article which I am sure the members are already aware of but thought the last two might be apt considering we had been itemizing food stuffs. eating

Happy travels and remember that licence. thumbsup

Vicar

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 1:30 am

007 has a licence! Laughing

Oats??? Surely that would gum up the entire cooling system? Really don't think that would be a good idea. Even if it worked and got home or to a garage, when a new rad is installed you would still have a load of gloop to flush through the system - and porridge sticks.

As for tea leaves, again I reckon owners are just plucking random footstuffs out of the air. How could tea leaves possibly plug a hole in a rad?

Mmmmmm - sceptical and unconvinced. scratching chin
Back to top Go down
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

PostSubject: Basic Kit for the first time overland.   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 9:47 am

Must admit the same thoughts crossed my mind, especially the oats. They get really gooey when cooked. These suggestions were written by Sam Watson in one his of articles for LRO. The rest of what he writes is very informative and instructive.

The whole gist of the sub section he has written is about a survival strategy should you suddenly find yourself in dire circumstances and how, after a calming cup of tea, one can recover from such a situation using bush mechanics. The main article is about preparation for a trip where one could experience either extreme cold or heat, and maybe both. pale

A lot of what he says is probably not new to some; it just reminds or reinforces the need for clear thinking should one suddenly find oneself in such a situation, combining some lateral thought. He does include eggs and of course Radweld ( if you haven't forgotten it ) as alternatives.

He also mentions the book by Squadron Leader Tom Sheppard...Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide. Not a cheap book according to Amazon but by all accounts an excellent read for any who intend some serious overland travel. sunny

So, I was not trying to "stir" the pot, just reading the tealeaves scratch

Anything that someone else has found to work in the past is knowledge one can tuck away maybe never to be used, BUT...... affraid

Happy days...Got the news yesterday the Diesel Series 2 LWB could be on its way soon. I am sure the wife will be "chuffed" angry to see what she unknowingly bought me for Christmas. Of course there is a good chance this may be my last post. doh

Vicar thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2011 12:16 pm

Sounds as if you'll be needing a vicar soon - to read the last rights! affraid
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 5:57 am

Vicar wrote:

He also mentions the book by Squadron Leader Tom Sheppard...Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide. Not a cheap book according to Amazon but by all accounts an excellent read for any who intend some serious overland travel. sunny

Forget Amazon, buy from the author £36 + £4 p & P. See HERE

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 1:59 pm

Couldn't imagine crossing the Sahara in a 101FC. The heat that comes up from that engine cowl with a V8 is horrendous. affraid

Bet if Tom were to ever repeat the trip it would be in the air-conditioned comfort of a modern 4x4 - and who would blame him?

Great book BTW.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Just got the great mans "Quiet for a Tuesday" book for Christmas.
Waiting for the mongul hoards to depart so I can start reading it
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 01, 2012 9:46 pm

The Oats do work in he rad, as a temporary fix, good for a few days.
When the system cools overnight it sets like concrete - just like the bowl that doesn't get washed up! Then no matter how hot it gets it never really quite "unsets". We used this trick in my Army days over in Africa ( better than eating them) lol!
Back to top Go down
Ben_J85JTY
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 02, 2012 4:48 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Couldn't imagine crossing the Sahara in a 101FC. The heat that comes up from that engine cowl with a V8 is horrendous. affraid

Bet if Tom were to ever repeat the trip it would be in the air-conditioned comfort of a modern 4x4 - and who would blame him?

Great book BTW.

I have had to have the heaters on full blast to keep the engine cool whist bimbling around the edge of the sahara, 42deg outside and about 55 inside!!

Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Theres a nice article in the Feb issue of LRW on what kit to carry
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
shubhrajoshi1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:48 pm

hey,
this is most important part of basic kit for first time overland like-

1st aid kit
Warning triangle
Reflective vest/coat per person in vehicle
Tools for vehicle repairs
Good Spare wheel and wheelbrace jack locking nut remover
Torch
Tin puncture repair?
Spare fuel,air filter
Tent
Sleeping bags / bedding
Fridge? Rent /buy do you really need a£700 engle?
Gps and maps
Water
Spare bulbs
Cooker gas or dual fuel type
Phone
Plates cups etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.globehunters.com/Flights/Miami-Flights.htm
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:07 am

Also need a need a sense adventure, lol!

And be able to have fun when required, cheers1

And DON'T FORGET THE TEA BAGS. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 pm

With all these ingredients all thats missing is a wok.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 9:46 pm

& Mead & BBQ sauce. Other than that I think you guys have got it.
Back to top Go down
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

PostSubject: Basic Kit for the first time overland.   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 22, 2012 9:08 am

I'll add a curve ball to this topic. BALER TWINE. idea Not your everyday item on every bodies list but then no one has added basic string or twine. There will always be an occasion when a length of string comes in handy. I always take a plastic bag of baler twine with me not only as I have heaps of the stuff from our hay bales, but because over time I have found it very useful. In UK some of it may still be made of natural fibre. Mostly it is polypropylene. Reasonably tough, especially when plaited to make a crude rope. scratching chin
A bag of it is not heavy, is easily stowed and can be useful as a stuffer between fragile objects. I am not trying to " String you along ", so check out any nearby farms or stables to see if they have any going free. Most people would just throw it out. stupid

Vicar thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:47 pm

Vicar wrote:
I'll add a curve ball to this topic. BALER TWINE. idea Not your everyday item on every bodies list but then no one has added basic string or twine. There will always be an occasion when a length of string comes in handy. I always take a plastic bag of baler twine with me not only as I have heaps of the stuff from our hay bales, but because over time I have found it very useful. In UK some of it may still be made of natural fibre. Mostly it is polypropylene. Reasonably tough, especially when plaited to make a crude rope. scratching chin
A bag of it is not heavy, is easily stowed and can be useful as a stuffer between fragile objects. I am not trying to " String you along ", so check out any nearby farms or stables to see if they have any going free. Most people would just throw it out. stupid

Vicar thumbsup

Twine yes! Another I always keep handy is paracord. Strong, cheap and can be reused over and over.
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 4:31 am

4x4overlander wrote:
Vicar wrote:

Forget Amazon, buy from the author £36 + £4 p & P. See HERE

Brendan

Pre-Ordered mine from amazon last year, then got an email 4 months ago and said they ran out Evil or Very Mad

So I'll try this link
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:31 pm

Assassin wrote:
With all these ingredients all thats missing is a wok.

And a TRAILER! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Basic kit for first time overland?   Basic kit for first time overland? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Basic kit for first time overland?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2