4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Change of focus

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptyWed Nov 02, 2016 9:29 pm

Morning All

After mud plugging for a few years and then going to the desert 3 times in the last 4 years I'm getting to the stage where I'm getting a bit bored with longer trips away on my own.

The wife just isn't interested in travelling longer distances in the 110 too noisey, drafty, leaky, smelly etc (sounds like a new set of dwarfs) she's quite happy to come along if we had more comfortable accommodation (she wants a motorhome or caravan) is the long or short of it.

Now I have a particular loathing of motorhomes but don't mind the thought of a caravan towed by a 4x4 I think that gives me the best of both worlds, better accommodation and the ability to still go exploring offroad.

So to the heart of the matter what tow vehicle, I've been looking at (and I know they are the sworn enemy of Land Rover types) but for reasonable money the Jeep Grand Cherokee looks to come out favourite the models from 2004 to 2007 still use the Mercedes 2.7 diesel motor a particular favourite of mine but what the rest of the vehicle like reliability wise ?
I did think of going Discovery but they have so many inherent weaknesses and I want something I can use to drive to Greece in comfort without major surgery before and after the trip.

I would like to hear peoples thoughts of the Jeep and other possible alternatives.
I have ruled out Landcruisers, G Wagens and pickups from this era due to price and reliability.

It just seems a 2005/6 Jeep around 75,000 to 85,000 miles on the clock with full dealer service history for just shy of £4k looks to be a bargain.

This would leave me a tidy sum for a decent small caravan and give me an easy life from the wife and the ability to still do some offroading.

So go on people give me a reason to ditch the green oval !!!
Back to top Go down
lost-world-adventures
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
lost-world-adventures

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptySat Nov 05, 2016 1:12 am

Hi

I have had Jeeps since 1994, the Grand Cherokee you talk about with the 2.7 Merc Engine is was the model from 2001 to 2005, it was the same engine in the merc vans, ML, the E class and many more, including a few Koren makes.
the Grand cherokee from 2005 to 2009 had the V6 3.0 CRD engine, again a merc engine.

Its what I currently use for overlanding, Its not to be underestimated as an offroad vehicle, ground clearance is not good so needs a lift but its very reliable and I used to also tow a twin axle caraven with one all around europe.

2.7 crd bad points, Injectors, check they are not leaking, no 4 & 5 go under the bulk head and eneging needs dropping to replace, if they leak it puts like a black tar ontop of the engine, I keep the cover off so you can always see whats going on,

apart from that its brilliant, about 550-600 miles out of a tank, 34 mpg, drops to 24 mpg offroad, I had a 4.7 V8 you were lucky to get 10mpg offroad so I think thats great.

The early models were 3.1TD, (boat engine) for years 1999 to 2001 - do not buy
The next model which ran from 2005 - 2009 was a 3.0 V6, again a very good engine,

The trouble with them is and this is all jeeps cherokee upto 2009, the back seat is small and lower than most cars, Adults will struggle for distant driving. try and sit in the rear of one, your see what I mean,

plus point is the dealer isnt far from you for Jeep, I would say there pretty reliable,
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptySun Nov 06, 2016 2:29 am

Thanks for the heads up I test drove a 2005 2.7 diesel this morning and was really impressed how quiet and comfortable it was. Its not been used off road the guy bought it after having a shogun for years and was blown away by it he's now getting a company car and is sad to see it go.

The interior is immaculate but the rear bumper was a mess with scuffs and gouges taken out of it so the search continues.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptyMon Nov 07, 2016 4:47 am

I grew up with Jeeps and always loved them. I think a Grand Cherokee would be a great rig, both for comfort and towing a camper. If that makes the missus happy and willing to travel then two thumbs up! I certainly enjoyed sharing our last trip with mine, just made it more fun.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 4:38 am

Not sure which year my sons Jeep is will ask he has gone away for a while, but told me this morning that it has to go to the dealership in Aberdeen on firday for recall passenger air bag goes of on its own also if someone hits the back it could puncher the tank.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
lost-world-adventures
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
lost-world-adventures

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus EmptyThu Nov 10, 2016 5:01 am

roamingman wrote:
Not sure which year my sons Jeep is will ask he has gone away for a while, but told me this morning that it has to go to the dealership in Aberdeen on firday for recall passenger air bag goes of on its own also if someone hits the back it could puncher the tank.

The Fuel tank issue didnt affect the UK market, was USA models only, and then only if fitted with a tow hook, and was the earlier model, ZG/ZJ 1995-1999

Yes there was/is an airbag/side curtain recall, It is for the WG/WJ model, 1999 to 2005.
This was initially recalled last year then cancelled and recalled this year starting in May.

If it hasnt been done will be done FOC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Change of focus Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change of focus   Change of focus Empty

Back to top Go down

Change of focus
Page 1 of 1