4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

T Max split charger question

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

T Max split charger question Empty
PostSubject: T Max split charger question   T Max split charger question EmptyTue Mar 17, 2015 7:27 pm

Looking for help from anyone who knows about the T Max split charger.

I had a flat starting battery on my truck at the weekend, this is the first time it has happened and think I must have left something switched on.

Anyway, I though no problem I can use the "Link" function on my T Max split charger and jump start myself off my axillary battery. But it didn't work and I couldn't hear the solenoid click in.

So my question is, does the solenoid require power from the main starting battery to operate? I could trace all the wires but it is well wrapped up and hidden away so thought I would ask here first.

If it does require power from the starting battery has anyone overcome this in any way, maybe fitting a switch so it can take power from either as needed?

Thanks,
IJP
Back to top Go down
Dave10101
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: T Max split charger question   T Max split charger question EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 10:06 am

Hi. I have not had much experience with the T max split chargers as I have always gone for twin alternators and a manual link switch - however I do recall hearing this before. The solenoid works from the starter/main battery which means if this is 100% depleted the link function is of no help. You could make a low power link across the batteries to give at least something from one battery to the other however if the T max link did not connect and you cranked the engine over then massive power through a thin wire ends in err, fire (or blown fuse). scratching chin

The only other way is to wire up a battery cable/winch size wire manual link. But if you are going to do this as well as the T max link, and you can get to your batteries you can just use a set of jump leads across the batteries.

Hope this helps, Dave.
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

PostSubject: Re: T Max split charger question   T Max split charger question EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Thanks Dave, that does help, I wasn't sure if it was just my system that was wired wrong.

My wife and 2 kids were in the car when I found the battery was flat, with a superior tone of voice I said "that's no problem, this truck can jump start itself", my triumph lasted as long as it took to push the link button and turn the key. Embarassed

I always carry jump leads so that will now be plan B. Need to check they are long enough though as the auxiliary battery is in the back.

IJP
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: T Max split charger question   T Max split charger question EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 1:23 pm

Agree with Dave, also heard this. Remember a split charging system uses a relay which must be powered from somewhere, you can do what I did with one, not T max though.

Found the power cable connected to the vehicle main battery, ran a separate wire from this wire to the second battery through a switch, leave switched off normally and if you lose total vehicle battery power you can switch on and get power to operate the relay from the auxiliary battery, once started switch the switch off. I fitted a key switch for security.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: T Max split charger question   T Max split charger question Empty

Back to top Go down

T Max split charger question
Page 1 of 1