4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

North East Morocco?

Go down 
+11
SafariDude
Silverfox
Mac
roamingman
colley2.8
tuggy
GirlChild
wideformat4x4
Tom Mc
marjal
Tembo
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

North East Morocco? - Page 12 Empty
PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 6:17 am

Hi Guys, just wondered if any body is taking a compressor, if we have to air down and back up?
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 5:05 pm

Its on my list definitely.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:40 pm

Just reading up on the North African news and one article caught my eye. In the Morocco-Algeria border areas there has always been alot of smuggling, especially cheap Algerian fuel. Most Moroccans in the border area rely on this smuggled fuel to run their vehicles, generators and pumps. Apparently Algeria is getting fed up and has been digging trenches across the blocked roads on their side of the border to stop fuel from being smuggled across. This has made fuel scarce and expensive in the border areas. Not sure how much this will affect us but we might want to make sure we top up and grab a couple of jerry cans before heading to Figuig, just in case there isn't much fuel to be had. It may not affect us at all, but good to be safe.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 12:24 am

Been doing some more reading and found out you need a tempary inport form for the motor, D16 ter
link here, http://www.douane.gov.ma/web/16/45#http://www.douane.gov.ma/d16ter/Presentation.jsf

You can fill out online, or the customs officer will copy from your logbook.

I will try and find the instructions, or show you at Overland show. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:50 am

I have a small compressor which I will be bringing along but the duty cycle isn't that long it will top up 4 tyres quite quickly but may be pushing it a bit with 20 tyres lol
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 1:59 am

Tembo wrote:
Just reading up on the North African news and one article caught my eye. In the Morocco-Algeria border areas there has always been alot of smuggling, especially cheap Algerian fuel. Most Moroccans in the border area rely on this smuggled fuel to run their vehicles, generators and pumps. Apparently Algeria is getting fed up and has been digging trenches across the blocked roads on their side of the border to stop fuel from being smuggled across. This has made fuel scarce and expensive in the border areas. Not sure how much this will affect us but we might want to make sure we top up and grab a couple of jerry cans before heading to Figuig, just in case there isn't much fuel to be had. It may not affect us at all, but good to be safe.

Good advice James
A friend of mine has just come back from a trip in morocco and said take spare fuel filters as near the border there's a chance we will be filling from old oil drums smuggled across the boarder I
may have to invest in a couple of jerry cans and a holder for the roof rack
But that said the sort of speeds and mileage we will be doing I was looking at jerry cans as a second source of fuel if we do get dodgy diesel as opposed to using it for top ups as on a full tank I should be good for 400 to 500 miles
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 4:04 am

Why I asked about comperes, I have a mains one witch is small, 240v50Hz 3.4a,
trying to see if it would work from our 1000w inverter, do any of you have a conversion table, please,
just remembered my be Assassin has done a review, will know go and check. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:27 am

well I found Assassin's post on inverters, so will not be bring my compressor, will look out for one to run from battery. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 5:54 am

I think mine was £49.99 from John Craddocks or Paddocks can't remember which one
Back to top Go down
Kipoku
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 7:10 am

glenn321 wrote:
Tembo wrote:
Good research, but yes a bit out of date. Maybe ask Tuggy his thoughts.
Hi Tembo,

I'm 100% new to the forum and what a cracking place it seems to be. can’t believe it’s taken me this long to find it.

Anyway I'm off to Morocco in October, 22nd from Portsmouth, I haven’t got a return date as yet however I'm probably thinking three weeks. I have no real route planned and am heading over with another friend in a 300tdi 90, I too will be in a 90.

Just wondering if you fancied either tagging along with us for a few days or us tagging along with you. either way I will also be at the AO show over the last weekend in September and would be interested to have a look at what your planning.

Hopefully chat soon.

Cheers,

Glenn
Hi Glenn. Also newbie to the site. ( Excellent). I am also going down about that time if the 'tag along' invite stands. Gotta 2008, 110 fully equipped camper and have driven CT- London and North Central America. Planning Morocco as shake down for new truck prior to South America. Actually fancied West side, having driven Eastern Morocco. Was going to leave ( solo) before the AO show but it can wait. Anyway,company would be good. pm me if you wish.
Back to top Go down
Silverfox
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 12:47 am

Hi Guys

I can get a few Jerry cans to borrow for the trip if anybody is interested, give me a shout and I'll bring them with me to the show.

I'm also getting a compressor for airing up/down so we should be covered on that score. has anybody got and tyre levers and tyre repair kits, just a thought.

I was chatting to John Reader from Trailmasters last Sunday and he was saying about because of the problems down in Western Sahara a lot of the smugglers have moved up into the area that we are going to which has resulted in an increase in military patrols in the area.

How is it all going time really seems to be accelerating the nearer we ar getting to the departure date.

clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 1:33 am

Tembo's max loadout is four jerrycans of fuel and four jerrycans of water plus a Lifesaver jerrycan for filtering. Given how close we will be to main roads and in towns every couple of days I was only planning on bringing two fuel and two water. My range on a full tank at the speeds we will be doing will also be similar to Gary's, about 500 miles depending on how sandy it gets, so doubt we will run low. But a filter does sound like a good idea.

I fully expect we will bump into a few military patrols. The consensus seems to be that as long as you let them know who you are and where your headed, they have no problem with overlanders. And even though the area we are going to is off the usual routes for Brits, it does seem the Portugese and Spanish head to this area reasonably often. As for smugglers, if we cross paths with any they are more likely to try to sell us something than cause trouble.

I will also bring along a small compressor but to be honest, unless we get rains and things turn to mud, we won't be in enough deep sand to have to lower pressure all that often.

My prep is going pretty well, I am installing my CB radio this weekend. A few minor things left on my list but all on schedule. started my countdown a few days ago and am at 42 days until the ferry out of the UK!
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 1:54 am

Just on the subject of fuel. I got my map and roamer out and using a bit of guesswork about the routes I have worked out an estimated total distance in Morocco of 1137 miles. This is from leaving Melilla until we return to the port again. So I am going to use that figure for planning purposes with a safety margin for fuel.

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 2:58 am

I didn't really think fuel would be an issue I have been worrying more about water.
But that said I may invest in a couple of jerry cans and holder as I'm driving through Andorra on the way down with fuel there about 80p a litre I would be able to drive through Spain cheaply and then fill up in Morocco and drive the return trip at a discount price too !
I have a heavy duty tubeless tyre repair kit and I did think about taking an inner tube but that would be a last resort.
Back to top Go down
Kipoku
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 3:11 am

Can an old man offer a bit of advice?

Water: carry about 40L.Min. but also carry collapsible plastic thingy's and fill them if you are going bush. Try and keep one of proven fresh and marked "good" water at all times. For drink only. In a black container, inside, or it will go mildew on you.

Tyres: And that part of Morocco can be tough on them. Take a tube or two and assuming you have a compressor ( and the repair kit) don't forget a sixteen inch bicycle tube to re-bead the tyre.

Sorry if sucking eggs.

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 5:10 am

Well getting things together, put 2 tyre leavers in, had a problem with speedo after a wire burnt out, got it all back together was going to do a last weekend away just to check and wo and behold no STARTER, have managed to get it of, we are taking it apart to clean, and been told of a auto electricion who should be able to fix it, on holiday be back Monday, so if we (my son and I) have no luck will be there first thing Monday morning.
Was going to see about repair kit at the show, will be borrowing jerry can from Silverfox, and will be carrying 60L water.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Just read your post James, are we now crossing from Almera to Melilla ?
I thought we were doing Algerciaras to Ceuta ?

It's an age thing I do get a bit confused pale 
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 10:23 pm

wideformat4x4 wrote:
Just read your post James, are we now crossing from Almera to Melilla ?
I thought we were doing Algerciaras to Ceuta ?

It's an age thing I do get a bit confused pale 
me also a bit confused, also age playing tricks, pale 
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 pm

Finally got my roof tent fitted Cool 
North East Morocco? - Page 12 Null_zps4b804d7e
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 3:31 am

Colley you flash git lol
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 6:22 pm

Sorry, yes you are right...Algeciras to Cueta!

And Great job Steve, looks good.

As for water, I just invested in a Lifesaver jerrycan...been on the future required kit list anyway, so good excuse to get it now. It is probably one of the only portable filter systems that can filter down to 0.015 microns, which means even bacteria can't get through. A bit of an investment but better than getting the runs halfway thru the trip.

As for tyres, Tembo still runs his Michelin XZLs which are all tube tires, so bringing a couple of spare tubes.

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptyThu Sep 05, 2013 7:29 am

Have tubeless so will be looking for repair kit , speedo fixed and working, also starter fixed, getting last bits ready to go in, away next week down to Blackpool Daughter getting married, be back monday so 7 days to the start of our Big trip, looking forward to seeing every body at the show. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Timetable finally sorted   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 4:20 am

Right all, now got the ferry booked for Dover, Calais 02.00 02/10/13 driving to my friend campsite in Remalade where the wife and I are staying till Saturday the 5th being joined on the Friday by some friends from Bristol for a meal and a few beers and the odd Pastis then traveling down to Montauban.
Sunday driving to Andorra and going into Spain via the smugglers path camping near the Parc Natural Bardenas and spending the next day driving round the Parc (or dust bowl) as its known to some.
Following day a full days driving staying just south of Valencia and then on to Tarifa on the 9th for a couple of days before taking the wife to Malaga airport to fly back home on the 12th then back to Tarifa on the 13th to meet up with the group ready for our departure on the morning of the 14th

Just a few more items to do on the truck this coming week including a full service and fixing the height sensor on the rear.
Oh and I now need to replace my bottle jack as the Discovery 2 jacks are notoriously bad and mine failed this week while trying to remove the wheels off the Frontera.
Better it fell to bits now and not in the Moroccan desert.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 pm

Sounds great Gary. Looks like you and Yoda have some great travels to do before we even hit North Africa. Wish I had the time to do the same this year. But there is always next year. Actually, this Morocco trip has worked out well because it forced me to get the last bits of gear and upgrades to Tembo sorted for long distance travel. After this, he will be ready to go anywhere. Just had my 51st B-day yesterday and got my Gopro Hero 3 camera, so will be getting some mounting points sorted as well....going to be a great trip!
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 9:56 pm

Happy birthday to Tembo, clapping cheers1 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North East Morocco?   North East Morocco? - Page 12 Empty

Back to top Go down

North East Morocco?
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next