4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

110 CSW What size tyres?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
tonyg
Rookie
Rookie

110 CSW What size tyres? Empty
PostSubject: 110 CSW What size tyres?   110 CSW What size tyres? EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Morning all,
After much researching I have decided on a new set of BFG AT tyres for my 110 csw. Dilema now.... Do I stick with 235/85 x16 or go to 265/75 x16 ? (negligable height difference between the two sizes).
My thinking is 235... standard size so IF I had to replace one anywhere outside UK, it should be relatively easy. Being standard, theoretically, there should be less strain on drive train components.
My thoughts for 265/75...slightly wider track, theoretically, the Landy should be more stable, bigger footprint (not always advisable I know), better / more comfortable on sealed roads (less sidewall to flex).
What do you all run?
All input greatly appreciated
tony
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: 110 CSW What size tyres?   110 CSW What size tyres? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 3:38 am

I have quite a heavy 4x4.
My standard tyre sizes were 255/70/16. Ive since gone down to 245 and 225. I find the 225 the best off road, in snow and on Ice. The wider tyre handled towing better and is slightly more stable. The wider tyre tends to float around on very slippery terrain and the thinner cuts through due to the vehicle weight. Also the Fuel is better on the thinner tyre due to less rolling resistance.

BFG are ace, if you can find some Grabber AT2's have a go with them, pretty much the same thing but about £25 per tyre cheaper.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: 110 CSW What size tyres?   110 CSW What size tyres? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:11 am

Depends what the tyre size for that year the County kit used ?

I run 235 General Grabber TR on my Defender 110 station wagon on Discovery steel wheels. Never had a problem in snow or gravel. Quite good in sand as well.

What wheels do you have. That could be the deciding factor.

Now IIRC there's only five tyre sized homologated for the 110 sw and Csw.

Again IIRC if you go to 255 tyres you get a very accurate speedo.
Back to top Go down
tonyg
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 110 CSW What size tyres?   110 CSW What size tyres? EmptyFri Jul 29, 2011 4:34 am

gemini wrote:
Depends what the tyre size for that year the County kit used ?>>>currently on 7.50x16`s as fitted when I bought it.

I run 235 General Grabber TR on my Defender 110 station wagon on Discovery steel wheels. Never had a problem in snow or gravel. Quite good in sand as well.>>>would love to do some desert driving, but realistically, most of my driving will be on graded roads or tarmac.

What wheels do you have. That could be the deciding factor.>>>I have 8 of 7" modulars ...plenty for spares Smile

Now IIRC there's only five tyre sized homologated for the 110 sw and Csw.

Again IIRC if you go to 255 tyres you get a very accurate speedo.

Tyres, like everything else, seem to be a minefield!
tony
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 110 CSW What size tyres?   110 CSW What size tyres? Empty

Back to top Go down

110 CSW What size tyres?
Page 1 of 1