4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

AT Tyres Poll

Go down 
+2
Assassin
Jas
6 posters

What All Terrain Tyre
Bf Goodrich AT
AT Tyres Poll Vote_lcap50%AT Tyres Poll Vote_rcap
 50% [ 9 ]
General Grabber AT
AT Tyres Poll Vote_lcap11%AT Tyres Poll Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
General Grabber AT2
AT Tyres Poll Vote_lcap11%AT Tyres Poll Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
Cooper Discoverer ATR or AT3
AT Tyres Poll Vote_lcap6%AT Tyres Poll Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
Pirelli Scorpion ATR
AT Tyres Poll Vote_lcap0%AT Tyres Poll Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78
 0% [ 0 ]
Toyo Open Country AT
 6% [ 1 ]
Yokohama Geolander AT II+
 0% [ 0 ]
Bridgestone Dueler AT
 6% [ 1 ]
Goodyear Wrangler AT/R or Silent Armor AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Falken Landair AT
 6% [ 1 ]
Michelin LTX AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Michelin LTX AT2
 0% [ 0 ]
Runway Enduro AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Dunlop Grantrek AT2
 0% [ 0 ]
Dunlop Grantrek AT3
 0% [ 0 ]
Continental Cross Contact AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Maxxis Bravo MA751
 0% [ 0 ]
Mickey Thompson STZ AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ Radial (inc ATZ +)
 6% [ 1 ]
Mickey Thompson ATZ Radial
 0% [ 0 ]
Mastercraft Courser LTR
 0% [ 0 ]
Mastercraft Courser AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Mastercraft Courser AT 2
 0% [ 0 ]
Yokohama Geolander AT/S
 0% [ 0 ]
Avon Ranger AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Firestone Destination A/T
 0% [ 0 ]
Firestone Transforce AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Fuzion XTI AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT / AT
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:38 pm

Ive started a poll for All Terrain tyres.
Mainly to compare what is the most commonly used tyres worldwide. Also It would be beneficial if the forum members posted their experiences good or bad with said brands to help any new or experienced 4x4 owner in choosing a new set of tyres.

Jason

Last edited by Terracan Jas on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:25 pm; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 1:22 am

I run ATR II's and find them a superb tyre, unlike many other premuim brands they do not suffer the compromises on road as others do, they perform well off road, and surprisingly are not as noisy as the previous Bridgestones road biased tyres which the vehicle came with. Everyone i have recommended them to really rates them, and they are used from full off road operating conditions to road conditions, and everything inbetween.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 am

I have run General Grabber AT2 tyres in the past on my current 4x4 and my old truck. A very good tyre, offers high levels of grip on most terrains, runs reasonably well on the road as well, a little noisy and slightly higher roling resistance than a road tyre but thats probably due to the thicker rubber compound and sidewalls. I bought mine off camskill at aroun £89 per corner in 255/70/16. Good tyre overall.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 12:52 pm

Paid £53 per tyre for the Cooper ATR II's 235 / 75 / 15, did 60,000 on them before getting rid of the vehicle, the next owner did at least another 30,000 on them; thats what i call a good buy.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Assassin wrote:
Paid £53 per tyre for the Cooper ATR II's 235 / 75 / 15, did 60,000 on them before getting rid of the vehicle, the next owner did at least another 30,000 on them; thats what i call a good buy.

That is great value money. Has any noticed that some retread tyres are more expensive than a cheaper priemium tyre brand? I thought that retreads were meant to be a cheap option compared to the preniem rubber brands? And has anyone used retreads on a expedition, touring or overland travel?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyThu Jan 27, 2011 1:04 pm

Many retreads made in the UK were actually better then new tyres due to the stringent testing at all stages of the process, it was often more than twice the testing of brand new tyres, in addition retreaders would not use certain tyres for retreading due to their inherent weaknesses.

Most large plant use retreaded tyres, as do aircraft which are retreaded up to nine times.

Unfortunately most of the quality UK retreaders have gone to the wall as the cost of manufacturing new tyres has dropped, this is due to manufacturers dropping their huge profit margins on new tyres.
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 11:29 pm

Terracan Jas wrote:
Assassin wrote:

That is great value money. Has any noticed that some retread tyres are more expensive than a cheaper priemium tyre brand? I thought that retreads were meant to be a cheap option compared to the preniem rubber brands? And has anyone used retreads on a expedition, touring or overland travel?

Yes, I have used, and will use in the future, remoulds. On the last trip I used Insa Turbo Mountains. £50 a corner - so I will review those. They are considered as an ll-terrain tyre - I woud, however, say that they are considerably more beefy than many AT treads I have seen. They are not the best wearing tyre, but then you sort of expect that from the price. They are however, brilliant. On road, I do not have much of a comparison to make, but they are much quieter than the Mud Terrains I had on previously - infact I cannot hear any tyre rumble and they hold the road well, ncluding n the wet. They are very strong - we have been over some stuff which really did make us cringe due to the sharpness of the surface but they held out fine. The sidewalls are also strong.

Off road, I cannot complain at all...actually I have to say at several points in the last trip we thought we would almost certainly get stuck, but they held up. One example I can think of in Morocco where we had to do a turn on a steep slope on wet rock- we thought we had no chance, as we could only just about stand on it without falling over! Even with 2 wheels fully on the ground, they held the vehicle - it was the vehicles power and articulation that was our restriction, not the tyre.

They are obviously not a Mud Terrain - but they also hold up in Mud as well. I am not suggesting they are as good a Mud Terrain but they are out not bad at all. I was out green laning in them, and the guys who I were out with were seemingly doing their best to get me stuck but I had no problems and did not get stuck...they do grip suprisingly well - the downside being having a fairly close tread pattern, they do not clear very quickly...so if they do get clogged, you don't have much chance of recovery without effort.

As I say, the only downside is tread wear. I dare say if I spent twice as much on a "branded" tyre, it would last longer. But I would not say this is a big issue - we will do several more trips on these tyres and we have a lot of confidence in them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:03 am

Past fue days i have been helping out a mate work on his 80 series LC he has done quite a fue overland trips in the past and after a 5 year break he is getting back in to the scene.
One item that he bought and we fitted was a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR tyres (x6).
I know i listed them on the poll question but up untill then i have never seen a set of pirelli scorpion atr tyres.
Due to only experiance in the uk off road scene with the BFG, General & Copper brands being most common has anyone else heard of these tyres?

My friend claims that they are the dogs for loose serfaces like sand, dirt, light mud etc. They certainly were not cheap, but they do look like a decent AT pattern.

AT Tyres Poll Pirell10

Talk to me.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:51 am

http://camskill.co.uk/m64b0s491p49356/COOPER_TYRES_4X4_COOPER_DISCOVERER_ATR_-_245_75R16_111S_OWL_TL_

4x Tyres @ £311 Delivered.

As much as I love my Maxxis Buckshot Mudders in the Mud and on hills, when the road temps drop below 8 degrees they are...... pants.....
Im not looking to go find the deep snow in the winter, I simply want a stable handling AT tyre that will be ok on the white stuff and get me out of a wet field.

What do people think about these, yay or nay?

Jas

Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySat Dec 31, 2011 10:17 am

I can't do the poll 'cos my tyres aren't on there. scratching chin

last year after a bit of research (80% on road) I got some FALKEN LANDAIR AT's. They were very reasonable £350.for 5 fitted. I have been out down the greenlanes a lot, and around North Wales recently and have been constantly surprised at just how good they are- especially on rocky tracks.
have done about 20,000 miles on them and they have a LOT of life in them yet so I would consider them as great value.
AT Tyres Poll FalkenAT-1
Back to top Go down
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 11:30 am

Hi there,
a couple of days ago we went on an 'off road' adventure to Israelite Bay in WA and it was a superb drive. A short 65 kms of 4WD track took us 3 hrs.

I deflated our BF Goodrich ATs to 20psi all round and they took us through everything.Soft sand, mud, rocks the lot! We gave them 10 hrs (133 miles) of abuse with absolutely no problems - i was mightily impressed. We ended up having to drive at night along the track so I didn't see a couple of mud holes - quick application of power and the tyres dragged us through. The rocks consisted of 5" to 6" tall rocks littering the track - again no problems. I certainly would recommend them.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.300555413338601.71098.100001524354305&type=1

I think that should take you to the photos!

Andy,Rosy and Abby

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:42 pm

Nope! Just states - This content is currently unavailable.

20psi is a good pressure, especially if the track contains rocks. Any lower and there's always the possibility of the bead breaking. Sure I'm preaching to the coverted, but mentioned it for anyone who doesn't know about dropping tyre pressures.

You can of course drop a lot lower if in soft sand - even down to 10psi - but at this pressure you don't want rocks about and be gentle with spinning the tyres. Put it this way, you shouldn't go this low unless you really have to.

They can actually go lower still, but then you're getting into 'bead lock system' territory. Expensive and uncalled for unless you intend entering off-road competitions or serious rock-crawling. Then you can talk about 'crawler gears', etc. etc.

Hear it so many times - BG Goodrich certainly aren't the cheapest around, but they are very good.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:36 am

maadmaan10 wrote:
I just added it to the list.

I have also added a few other options. I have given all members a 48 hour re-vote period for those wishing to change their vote if there is NOW THEIR choice of tyre listed. The same has been done to the Mud Terrain Tyre Poll.

TJ
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Terracan Jas wrote:
maadmaan10 wrote:

I have also added a few other options. I have given all members a 48 hour re-vote period for those wishing to change their vote if there is NOW THEIR choice of tyre listed. The same has been done to the Mud Terrain Tyre Poll.

TJ

Awww, thanks
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:25 am

Never found the Falken any good on a number of 4X4's so they must suit your vehicle and driving style well, this often happens with many tyres; that they suit a certain vehicle very well but are rubbish on others. Surprisingly they seem very good on a number of agricultural vehicles as well.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 4:00 am

maadmaan10 wrote:
Terracan Jas wrote:
maadmaan10 wrote:

TJ

Awww, thanks

Its all about Team 4x4overlandtravel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AT Tyres Poll Empty
PostSubject: Re: AT Tyres Poll   AT Tyres Poll Empty

Back to top Go down

AT Tyres Poll
Page 1 of 1