4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Test Run Terracan/Equipment

Go down 
+4
Hillbilly Raider
Assassin
onlyMark
Jas
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

Test Run Terracan/Equipment - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 6:02 am

Sometimes though you only need to move a few feet and you're out of whatever problem, like a rut. But it's not the thing for more than that.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 1:41 am

Went out this morning with a few friends across the Ridgeway in Wiltshire about 20 miles of tracks. This would be the last off road session for a fue months, I will be taking the truck off the road for a fue weeks/month so that I can service it myself over a few weekends and paint a few bits here and there, then tax and MOT to follow etc.

It was a great time, stopped off and had breakfast and a cup'a and enjoyed the view. The most challenging and interesting section of a trail was along a 1 mile stretch going up a slight hill. The weekend gone I had switched the MT tyres for my AT tyres due to more motorway miles, and these AT tyres soon filled up with the white chalky dirt common to these hills. Needless to say there was not alot of grip provided once this happened. There were shallow ruts which kept the vehicle from going side to side but the only way I could keep the vehicle moving forward was to barely touch the accelerator pedal. I put it in 4 low, with the engine @ 1200rpm and it very slowly but surely climbed to the top after 5 mins. It would not do it if the engine output was any higher, it would just spin the wheels.

This was abit of trial and error on my part, if i hail a hill climb I tent to usually switch gear or get little bit of momentum, but due to the hill being very long this did not work. My friends who went up first in their pair of 70 Series LC's were preparing to return and tow me up but to their surprise I made it, Diff Locks I Sh*t'em.
I Thought the narrower tyres worked better. My previouse AT2 tyres were 265 wide, but these Kumho's are 245, didnt seem to float around as much even if they did clog up pretty good.

A little bit more experiance gained. thumbsup

Jas
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2011 7:59 am

Nice one, especially as the current bun was out 'n' shining!

Haven't driven the Ridgeway for years, mainly because I don't know what sections are still open and legal to drive. Lovely countryside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Test Run Terracan/Equipment
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2