HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:59 pm

You are about to embark on a foreign excursion, let's assume it's somewhere remote and the terrain can be arduous, Mongolia or the Sahara for example. What vehicle spare parts do you take with you?

The way I see it, there are a number of categories you have to consider when travelling:-

Vehicle spare parts.
Recovery equipment.
Camping/cooking equipment.
Vehicle kit (fire extinguisher, water containers, etc.)
Tools.
Personal kit.

Here we'll concentrate solely on Recovery Equipment

You can't take too much as weight (and to a lesser extent - space) are overriding factors. So ... what essentials do you take? I'll start the list, then add your suggestions to this 'Master List':-

~ A double loop rope.
~ Two D shackles (these to be stamped).
~ Lightweight plastic sand ladders.
~ Bottle jack.

Would I take a Hi-Lift jack ... mmmm ... maybe? Undecided on this one. They can be so useful, yet again it's a weight thing.

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:19 pm

You must have very good recovery points on your motor. if not !
Don't take any. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
RobGT
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:31 am

Hi Tom,

Just some ideas if you drive without a second car to help you;

• in these situations I'll take an air compressor along, so I can deflate the tires in loose sand and inflate when necessary;
  • I would use a pair of aluminum sand ladders, they give more grip in stead of plastic. Plastic can melt with spinning wheels and they will loose grip;
  • on a trip like you're referring to, I would have a winch, with snatchblock and a shovel to dig a hole for a spare wheel as a ground anchor;
  • a second spare wheel or an extra tire with extra tire levers and tube can help you out, when you are at the end of the world;
  • GPS with back track;
  • a sat phone.

In Mongolia and in the Sahara you have to be self supporting, because it's possible you have to wait for days for any help.

Cheers, Rob

LandCruiser HZJ78 (2000) - Innovation Campers pop up roof - BFG T/A 235/85 R16 - A.S.S. bucket seats - LongRanger 180 L extra fuel tank - ARB RooBar + Dobinsons winch - 2 Solar panels - SV4x4 Rear bumper - Eberspächer diesel heating

Last edited by RobGT on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocruiser.nl
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:08 am

RobGT wrote:

In Mongolia and in the Sahara you have to be self supporting, because it's possible you have to wait for days for any help.
Precisely why I used those as examples. Thanks for your input Rob, good advice. It's good to hear what people consider "essential".

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:05 am

Ground anchors for sand.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip   

Back to top Go down

Essential - RECOVERY EQUIPMENT - to take on a foreign trip
Page 1 of 1