4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Test Run Terracan/Equipment

Go down 
+4
Hillbilly Raider
Assassin
onlyMark
Jas
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Test Run Terracan/Equipment Empty
PostSubject: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

I posted this in the Main chat section as it was not aplicable to go in the Current/completed overland section.

Well basicaly I have installed some extra removable storage in the back of my truck (pics to follow once ive fixed my broken camera) and i wanted to test it out, along with 2x new rear TJM Shocks, Maxxis Mud tyres and fridge etc.

The Journey
I left friday afternoon from my residence in Wiltshire along the M4 to the M25 and up over London to South End on Sea. Not great i know but It was the random place i picked out on the map. Then i moved on along the M25 & M26 to Dover to have a look at the ferries and ships, finding a campsite and settleing down for the night.
I then spent Saterday morning on a host a A roads to portsmouth one again to have a look around and at the ships and docks. After a browse and a fue photo's I moved on to M275 to Southampton once again checking out the are docks and boats then moving on to Lymington. After stopping off saterday afternoon in lymington i drove up through the new forest national park, pulled over and had some Lunch. Then continuing on to salisbury and returning back home saterday evening.

As you have probably guesed i like ships, boats etc. Got a fue good shots and had a good look at the docks etc.

Equipment Test
I tested out my latest addition to the racking system 2x draws and i filled them up with all the items and equipment i would most likely take on a overland trip. I took my tools with me which was usefull in the end as i was able to adjust the draw runners that was to the end of the trip begining to creek and rattle. After this minor adjustment evrything was fine.
The Maxxis Mudz that i had on worked very well as this trip was 95% road. The road was dry for all the trip and the tyres provided ample traction upto 65mph and under barking with a load. Note was that i had to increase the psi from the standard 32psi to 38psi to compensate for the extra weight and kit. And that the narrower 245 tyre didn't carry the weight better than the standard 255 wide tyre.
The Newly bought fridge (cheap camping brand) worked well, conected to the 12v plug in the boot, kept all milk, food and bevo's chilled. The bbq worked fine, had a good couple of meals off it especialy at the New forest north of lymington.
The road from salisbury to Devizes was really terrible, shot to death with pot holes and uneven serfaces. This was a excellent test for my new shocks. They did a great job of stabalising the vehicle and the H/D TJM springs coped great with all the extra weight.

Nothing difficult i know but it gave me a chance to get to know my equipment and surroundings of the vehicle. I will be doing a similar trip from cornwall to scotland over 7 days, to fully get used to evrything. I am confident in my off road abilitys in this vehicle and hopefully after this trip i will be well versed in all equipment.

After that i should hopefuly get a trip planned to europe and from there who knowes.

Anyway it was a good weekend, even if it was not very exotic it was a great 2 days of just me and the Terracan. EPIC

Jason

Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:23 am

There is no need to belittle what you did, It's all experience no matter how far you went or where. The amount of times I've done anything major or minor to cars I've had, thought all was ok after lots of pondering, and then pull out the drive and think "Bugger. It rattles (or doesn't work as I thought or whatever)" then driven straight back in the garage again. Too many people don't do any shakedown trips at all as they've no time or money or for any good reason, and then have to try and fix stuff as they go on their proper trip, with all the stress ('cos it can be stressful the first few days) of everything else.

Do a bit, test it, do a bit more, test that and see if it has any effect on what you did before - it's all part of the fun to me.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Definately do not belittle your trip, if it is what you want then that is your choice and nobody will think any less of you. It is always wise to have a shakedown run, and you have already identified a couple of issues which you have remedied, and are honing your equipment and its use, i agree with Mark, do what you like and get familiar with your kit.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 10:46 pm

Like I said, it was good fun, and was good to get the truck out. A fue teething problems but they were resolved.

Ive penciled in on the calander May 2nd to 9th. The plan is Wiltshire to the Lands End. Stay a night on a campsite then turn and burn for John o Groats stopping off midway overnight on a similar campsite. I am planning to take a fue greenlanes to test the truck out etc. And then spending a day or two fishing before returning to base.
Ive got that Maplin GPS tracker that was recommended in: http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t139-gps-tracker so it will be good to see where i have gone.

Overall im looking forward to some good pics and bbq food. lol!
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 2:00 am

This is what i hate about forums, why do you feel the need to appologise for posting about your trip out?
I'll tell you why, because there are some out there that think that if you havent been to Africa or Morocco, then you arent worth the time of day. or if you havent got a certain brand of equpiment you are heading for disaster
You post what you want mate.... thumbsup theres more than one way of doing things, and if YOU enjoy it thats all that matters cheers1
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 7:48 am

last year the with the wife as co pilot , we went for a bit of a mooch around scotland .
we got on the m6 and just headed north , with no real destination in mind . the only loose plan we had was to go up one side and return down the other .
with enough food for a 10 day run and 40 ltrs of water . add to that all the camping gear and personal stuff and the disco was full .
we did have a few issues with gear arrangments and needed to pull it all out more than once untill we were happy with the way it was , with the heavy food box`s down the sides and the camping gear by the rear door every thing else was tucked in behind the seats and the netbook with all the maps and music on the elbow box .
first stop was at southerness and a nice little camp site that cost £6 per night ,with all the things you would expect on a more expensive site , hot showers ect .
i think duiring the whole trip the most memerable parts has to be waking up on the banks of loch lomand with the only noise is the birds singing .
after a couple of nights wild camping we ended up at fort william and another nice quite site again around £ 6 a night .then on to thurso and lohn o grotes .the weather was blowing a gale and we arrived at the same time as a charity cycle ride was setting of at 7 the following morning for lands end . being woken to the sounds of bagpipes at 6am is a lot better than any alarm clock.
the whole trip went along these lines and even after clocking up nearly a 1000 miles going backwards and forwards criss crossing scotland it was still a very relaxing trip and we worked out a few bugs in the set up we have and best of all , has any one tried to get a good signal on your mobile phone north of glasgow Laughing
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyWed Mar 23, 2011 8:37 pm

You have to be inventive to get a signal on phones in the Highlands, walk around in circales walking out till about 1-2 miles frome motor, then zig and zag back and forth if sill no signal, jump up and down. lol! clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 5:08 am

One problems that I have is my Spare wheel. The spare wheel carrier is under the vehicle, you wind it up and down. The only problem is that with the factory towbar it was tight with a standard size tyre of 255/65/16. Im currently running on 245/75/16. On my test run I took the spare tyre and layed it down flat on top of the draws and rack. This was fine, it didn't get in the way too much, but i would like it to be outside the vehicle and if there is a passenger it might be tight on space. I cant find a swing away tyre carrier for my vehicle.

Do I get a custom rear mounted tyre carrier by OEC international or do i buy a roof rack and put the tyre up there????
Back to top Go down
lou1661
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 7:34 am

How heavy is your spare tyre? i know its a struggle to lift mine on to the bonnet, i would not like to lift it onto the roof rack, plus its a lot of weight to have up there.
Louis
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 8:17 am

Im hearing ya.

I might have a play around with the Plywood at the weekend and try to incorpoate a Vetical hold for the Spare wheel to be held in place with a retchet strap. Would take up less room with the tyre standing up than lying down i think, and it would be easier access.
I might also have a look at lowering the PSI of the tyre down to 15 or something to see if it will wedge in to the original position under the vehicle. Problem is if i can get it in, will it want to come out???
Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:06 am

On my Pajero the spare tyre is carried on a bracket bolted to the rear door. Not a swing away one.
Would your door hinges be capable of supporting one? If so, could you get someone to drill and fit one or something like it?
Alternatively I have seen from time to time, though I don't know how effective it is, an seemingly ordinary rear door bike rack with a spare wheel fastened securely to it (and obviously no bike). But as before the door would take the weight and it'd move as per opening the door.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:23 am

onlyMark wrote:
On my Pajero the spare tyre is carried on a bracket bolted to the rear door. Not a swing away one.
Would your door hinges be capable of supporting one? If so, could you get someone to drill and fit one or something like it?
Alternatively I have seen from time to time, though I don't know how effective it is, an seemingly ordinary rear door bike rack with a spare wheel fastened securely to it (and obviously no bike). But as before the door would take the weight and it'd move as per opening the door.

Well, this is the thing, the boot is hinged on the top, it opens up. It could possibly support a tyre on the back but in terms of rasing the boot door. It does have those struts to keep the boot open but i feel with a tyre on, it will need dampers to keep it up.

I have actualy found a swing away tyre carrier from australia but it only bolts on to a aftermarket thick steel rear bumper. Im not prepared to spend the £1000 to buy them and have both items shiped over. I'll save my money and build some sort of Tyre hold on top of the racking system.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:35 am

Hillbilly Raider wrote:
This is what i hate about forums, why do you feel the need to appologise for posting about your trip out?
I'll tell you why, because there are some out there that think that if you havent been to Africa or Morocco, then you arent worth the time of day. or if you havent got a certain brand of equpiment you are heading for disaster
You post what you want mate.... thumbsup theres more than one way of doing things, and if YOU enjoy it thats all that matters cheers1
Well said!
Back to top Go down
graeme
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 am

Terracan Jas wrote:
onlyMark wrote:

Well, this is the thing, the boot is hinged on the top, it opens up. It could possibly support a tyre on the back but in terms of rasing the boot door. It does have those struts to keep the boot open but i feel with a tyre on, it will need dampers to keep it up.

I have actualy found a swing away tyre carrier from australia but it only bolts on to a aftermarket thick steel rear bumper. Im not prepared to spend the £1000 to buy them and have both items shiped over. I'll save my money and build some sort of Tyre hold on top of the racking system.

if you can get clear pics , could you not have your local fabrication place make you one up . got to be cheaper than having them imported .
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:46 am

I didn't think of that.

Ill have a look for a local fabricator and see what they can do.

Thanks for that! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 9:52 am

www.iefeng.co.za/replacement_bumper_rear_wheel_carriers.htm ... but nothing unfortunately for a Hyundai.

or how about buying one for a Toyota and adapting it for yours?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-FJ80-SWING-AWAY-SPARE-WHEEL-CARRIER-/280258983089
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 10:05 am

Tom Mc wrote:
www.iefeng.co.za/replacement_bumper_rear_wheel_carriers.htm ... but nothing unfortunately for a Hyundai.

or how about buying one for a Toyota and adapting it for yours?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-LAND-CRUISER-FJ80-SWING-AWAY-SPARE-WHEEL-CARRIER-/280258983089

Thats quite a useful link. Its pritty much what im after. This one is quite similar: http://www.iefeng.co.za/replacement_bumper_rear_wheel_carriers/landcruiser_100_series.htm

There needs to be sections that run down the side, the hyundai bumper wraps around to the rear wheel arches.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 12:52 pm

Many Pajero's have them fitted to the back door, so how about looking for a carrier from one of them.

Alternatively you could weld a bracket to the towbar main member and make a hinged carrier to fit the new bracket, this would not impede the towbar and it would hinge down to let you open the tailgate, when you do not need it just unbolt it and put it in the garage until it is required.
Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyThu Mar 24, 2011 4:03 pm

I see what you mean about the back door. I thought it might be just one big thing that opens sideways, like a door does, rather than the other way.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyFri Mar 25, 2011 5:13 am

Tom Mc wrote:
www.iefeng.co.za/replacement_bumper_rear_wheel_carriers.htm

Thats quite a useful link. Its pritty much what im after.
I have my uses! tongue
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 1:09 am

Went on a fishing trip friday night & saterday, all fitted well in the truck with the camping gear, no problems.

I was with a mate, who ownes a Disco tdi, and on the route back from the canel we wnt via a byway. Both vehicles are 2" lifted, with 254/5/16 MT tyres.
I drove above and to the right of the ruts while my disco buddy drove in the ruts. Long story short, the ruts got too deep and the disco was stuck, bellyed out on its diffs, wheels spinning. I was in front, so I could not pull out the disco with a rope as the ruts got deeper.
We used a hand crank winch and 2x snatch blocks. There was lots of trees around so we attatched one end of the hand winch to my tow bar, next it went through a snatch block to the left of the disco, then to another snatch block behind and to the left of the disco an then finaly to the tow bar of the discovery. Ensureing that all the tree straps were low on the trees and secure we checked all sections of the recovery line had some form of material on just incase the wire snapped.
After a fue mins of cranking the disco was free enough for its tyres to grip and reverse out.

We ended up reversing a fue meters to a field opening, I had no problem turning in to the field as I was not in the ruts, but the disco was towed out just enough to get his front wheels out, then he was back in action.

We parked up and walked further along the byway, about 30 meters down there the ruts were getting on for 2 feet deep! And you could clearly see where other vehicles had well and truly got stuck. From the look of the tread the only vehicles that go through there are tractors. The ground was so damaged further down where vehicles got stuck etc it didn't look passable even when driving out of the ruts.

We ended up turning around and going back. Ruts are not always good to drive in, Ive found them usefull when the ground conditions are poor when driving on side slopes, but I generaly prefut to stay out of them unless I know the route is passable, but that hand winch (t-max) was invaluable.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyMon Apr 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Sounds as if you would have been well 'n' truly snookered without it. You managed ... nice one.

Precisely the reason I would want to carry some sort of recovery device (electric or manual - but probably manual) on board of the RR camper. Okay, I wouldn't be driving in deep ruts, but things happen out there, so if it could self-recover from a ditch for instance, it has to be a good thing security-wise.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:43 pm

Even though I wasn't driving in the ruts There were sections that were almost axle twisters, gave my suspension a good workout.
Out of interest has anyone removed the rear anti-roll bar on their vehicle? I have herd that it allows more axle articulation. Not something I need, but still, im curious.

TJ
Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:18 am

I've used my HiLift jack as a recovery device. So doubling up on its usage. But it's not ideal but I didn't have a winch or puller of any sort.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 am

Better than nowt, but boy it takes an eternity. Still better than sitting there twiddling your thumbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Test Run Terracan/Equipment   Test Run Terracan/Equipment Empty

Back to top Go down

Test Run Terracan/Equipment
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next