4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

UK to Cape Town - 2012

Go down 
+4
roamingman
peterd0t
Tom Mc
Cello
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Cello
Rookie
Rookie

UK to Cape Town - 2012 Empty
PostSubject: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 12:03 am

Currently planning a trip across Europe, through the Middle East and down Africa to Cape Town for some time during 2012.

Interested in teaming up with another vehicle(s) for part or all of the journey, in no rush to complete the trip and would like to share the planning (e.g.Departure Date, Countries and Cities and places to visit), preparation of both vehicles and crew, etc. that is involved with a trip of this nature.

If you interested would be good to hear from you?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 5:02 am

Now that is tempting ... if only!!! Plus you never know Cello, the Middle East may have calmed down by next year. Nah, on second thoughts, the Middle East has been full of upheavel for thousands of years, so why should 2012 be any different. No

Serious point for a minute, if Gaddafi does go and democracy is introduced with a stable government, Libya may be the ideal entry point to the continent. Here's hoping!

Welcome BTW, it'll be interesting to see how your planning/recruting develops.
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: UK to South Africa   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 2:12 am

My wife and I are planning our own trip for next year probably in August, I`v got a Disco TD5 and I`v got a Sankey trailer which is being converted into an overlander. Would love to have some company for the journey however long it takes we are in no rush.
Peter
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 6:36 am

peterd0t wrote:
My wife and I are planning our own trip for next year probably in August, I`v got a Disco TD5 and I`v got a Sankey trailer which is being converted into an overlander. Would love to have some company for the journey however long it takes we are in no rush.
Peter

Hi and welcome, regarding your trip would like to meet up and have a chat, are you doing any LR shows this year we will be at Billing And Peterbrugh if you can my catch up with you. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:01 am

peterd0t wrote:
Peter
Again ... if only! Sad
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: overland to africa   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Wont be at Billing we will be in South Africa on holiday for a month, but will be at Peterbrugh. Disco 10 years old but only done 80,000 miles,
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: overland to Africa   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 9:53 pm

Of to South Africa on holiday for a month a couple of days before Billing but will be at Peterburgh. Started to get the truck(Disco TD5 Y reg 80,000 miles) as my grandson says ready. I`v had it polybushed next upgrade lights all round of e**y and new shocks and steering damper and thats mostly it for the car. Then I`v got to start on the Sankey trailer.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 11:49 pm

Hello Peter, welcome to the funny farm! geek

I've booked a trade stand at LRO Peterborough, so we'll hopefully see you there. Have a look at the Upcoming Events section for details.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyWed Jun 22, 2011 12:07 am

Hi hope you enjoy your trip to South Africa, am sure you will. as Tom says maybe one day on that one.
We will be on the stand of free Spirit 4x4. If you are looking to buy stickers thats where you can buy them, or on his webb site. clinking teacups

Safe journey and have fun also would be nice to see some pictures. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
gea_man26
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 11:29 pm

hi all im new to this site and im planning same trip but driving uk to south africa but im planning it for 2013
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyFri Jan 06, 2012 8:07 am

When in 2013 and which way are you proposeing to go.
Peter
Back to top Go down
Cello
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Update UK to Cape Town 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 1:10 am

Well, it's been a while since I've logged on here after my initial posting, still planning my departure for this year although having a few problems Syrain and Libyian routes both look to be no goes and vehicle ferries to Egypt are no longer running, so trying to explore the containerised option at the minute. This is all proving rather by computer-22 .

Hoping to enter Eqypt early November and then make the great trek slowly south in true African fashion.

All that being said are there any interested souls planning a similar trip over the similar time period, would be good to hear from you and who knows where our paths might cross.
Back to top Go down
Old Git Ray
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 12:13 pm

Have you spoken to jamescargo

I asked them last week and UK to Kenya (Mombasa ?) was rough quoted at £2-2500.
Back to top Go down
andy-lightweight
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andy-lightweight

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 8:39 pm

as tom says, if only, one day maybe. Very Happy

keep us all informed of planning and how you get on, there wont be many on this site who have not thought about such a jolly.

goodlook.

andy lightweight

clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 8:54 am

Intercargo offer £1125.00 for a standard car ie. fiat punto so for a disco or similar it should`nt be all that much more.
Peter
Back to top Go down
Cello
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 9:07 pm

Hi Peter,

I've tried contacting Intercargo by phone without success and have sent them an e-mail. The service you are talking about is that containerised or RORO also from where to where?

Cheers for pointing me in the right direction, hopefully they can assist.
Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 3:40 am

Had a quote today from auto shippers uk for a 40` container that can hold 2 4x4s and all the kit Felistowe to Alexandria in Egypt for£2175.00.
PETER
Back to top Go down
Cello
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyMon Mar 05, 2012 11:14 pm

Morning,

Old Git Ray thanks for the heads up on James Cargo, Simon Obank has been really helpful and has found me containerised shipping from Istanbul to Alexandria including all costs except for insurance at roughly $950.00, feels like things are coming together now that I have found a way to Egypt and allowing to travel Europe first, pity the whole route is not possible but such is life I guess, cheers1

Peter I assume you planning on leaving from UK? You have a departure date in mind yet?

Back to top Go down
peterd0t
Rookie
Rookie
peterd0t

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 10:27 pm

We are going from Bury to Bulgaria proberbly the middle of June with the Disco & trailor we will be back the middle of Augst. The trailor will be just a large box on top of it full of household gear I`m transporting there, when I get back It`ll be converted to an overland trailor for the journey. We hope to sort out a route and start off in October November time. The route is the problem Its all about getting to Egypt.
Peter
Back to top Go down
Cello
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 1:19 am

Hi Peter,
Sounds very similar to us, except we are leaving Ldn around mid to end of June and into Europe for 3 odd months before ending up in Istanbul.
We will be shipping the Defender from Istanbul to Alexandria which takes about 7 days with approximately a further 5 days to clear, I can put you in contact with a helpful shipping agent and a clearing agent in Egypt if you would like?
We hope to spend some time in Egypt taking in the sights and getting in some diving whilst waiting for the Landy to arrive, also planning on going across to Jordan (Petra) for a few days. Once we have cleared the Landy through Customs, we plan on heading south to Wadi Halfa to enter Sudan via ferry, timing I think will be quite crucial here as the annual Hajj is due to be celebrated around 24-29 October depending on the lunar cycle, so to avoid congestion on the ferries returning south it would probably be better to have made the ferry crossing before the returning pilgrims.
We plan on heading to Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Malawi, Zambia, Botswana, Namibia and finally ending up in home sweet home CT.
We estimating the trip might take us from start to finish about 7-9 months, we have a rough itinerary with places we would like to see and number of days we would like to spend in each but this is flexible. If we don’t like a particular place we’ll leave earlier and likewise if we like a place we’ll stay longer, should make for an epic journey.
It’s been quiet long in the making, a dream if you know what I mean and now it’s all starting to become a reality. Looking forward to it and maybe we’ll meet up enroute somewhere, will you be doing a blog or anything along those lines as might be useful to keep in contact and swap info on places, etc, who knows maybe even travel for a period of time together if our adventures are following the same time and path?
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:42 am

Hi Cello,

Sounds like a great trip! We are also heading south, but we'll be a few months behind you (leaving August / Sept) and we have opted for the western route. I think we avoid the Middle East issues - but have replaced them with plenty of others in Mali, Nigeria etc ...

It would be great to share preparation tips and tricks though! There is always lots to be learned from others. Do drop a note!

kind regards
African GirlChild

Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK to Cape Town - 2012   UK to Cape Town - 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

UK to Cape Town - 2012
Page 1 of 1