4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012

Go down 
+5
gemini
Tom Mc
Jas
roamingman
GirlChild
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Hi all!

This is the year! 2012 is the year that we embark on our Big Adventure. The main part of our trip is Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas via the west coast of Africa. We'll be starting in the UK (exact memorable location yet to be determined) and after Cape Agulhas we'll head up the east coast.

I plan to add a weekly update on our preparations, so do follow our progress.

Please also share your thoughts and ideas with us! It is all valuable.

regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2012 9:53 pm

Looking forward to your updates, don't forget we like pics clinking teacups

Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2012 4:34 am

We Like PICS! Hope you have a great time, keep us updated!

Jason
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Sewing Projects   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 7:13 am

Hi all,

While we are all waiting for my weekly update (coming this weekend so keep an eye out!) I thought I'd share some other aspects of our preparation.

So, when my trusty sewing machine died (well, it was 35 years old afterall!) I absolutely 'needed' a new one. This required some negotiation with hubby (who wasn't really convinced on the idea). We reached a compromise - conditions of purchase: I need to make or repair items that we would otherwise have purchased - and so 'earn' my sewing machine. Fair enough. Always up for the challenge, I took it!

In addition, we have developed a new unit of currency in the household ... "1 days worth of travel" !! Laughing So, my sewing projects need to equate to (roughly) 10 days of travel. And yes, there will be a tally!

First project: new tent bag for the ground tent - actually, 2 of them.

On our last camping trip, the bottom finally fell out of the tent bag we had. Looking at the design, it was probably not the smartest: it was a long tube, with a drawstring at the top. Dropping the tent in, invariably put strain on the bottom, and since it wasn’t reinforced, it just tore the stitching away. Moreso, tearing the stitching out also tore the fabric, so no opportunity to repair. Lastly, as generally seems to be case, the bag was not really big enough for a ‘normal’ tent pack up (which, let’s be honest, is never as tight as you want it!). Our camping mate had a similar experience with the bag for his tent, and was using the bag from another ground tent! He needed one too.

The design I had in mind was a zip down the length of the tent bag (not a draw string around the short end) with compression buckles (known as “ladderlocs”) on the side. The idea: there is extra space to put everything you want to put into the tent bag, and then tighten the buckles.

Step1: cut the 3 pieces for the top and 2 sides of the bag. The sides wrap around to meet on top with a zip.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0453

Step2: I joined the panels using a flat seam rather than a typical dress-makers seam. Also, I got to use the fancy stitches on the machine (which, of course, I really ‘needed’ on my new machine). Pretty, huh?!?!!!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0455

Step3: I need some straps on this bag to carry it! I used webbing down the length of the bag for reinforcement (yes, you’ll find this is my favourite philosophy in sewing for the great outdoors), then cross webbing for the handles and the straps to compress the bag.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0463

A slight deviation here: I particularly love sewing projects which stretch the mind. In this case, working out how to turn 2 dimensional fabric into a 3 dimensional bag. Also, the order that steps are carried out is very important in whether you can finish the creation without (i) too much hand sewing (ii) unpicking the sewing. Both of these mistakes I have made many times before in the past!

Anyway, back to step4: the bag needs a zip. The zip comes in a long length, double open end, without the slider. So, let’s create a zip!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0465

As you can see, the slider is in place, and fabric has been sewn over the ends to turn a double open end into a closed end zip. This is a zip I can work with!

Step5: inserting the zip. This is the tricky bit!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0469

As you can see, one side then the other.

Step6: stitch the ends of the bag in – then the tube becomes a bag! Please excuse the photo – slightly out of focus, but I think you get the idea. I chose a square end, but a circular end would work too.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0470

Ta da!! All done with sides compressed!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0474

So, any progress towards 10 travel days? Nope! :shock: All that hard work? Well, the cost to create a bag was the same as if we had bought a new one. The advantage, though, is this one has a slightly more intelligent design - no drawstrings in sight! Hopefully this means that the bag will last ages and ages and ages tongue Also, hubby was really impressed - so that has to count for something cheers1

Oh well. Better luck on progressing towards my 10 days on sewing project 2: repairing the flysheet on the roof top tent!

Comments welcome!

African GirlChild

PS - I hope that wasn't too many pics. I promise more of the vehicle etc next time Razz
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2012 11:52 am

Well I have to say, you failed miserably in your task, that being to "create a bag the same as if we had bought a new one" ... yours is ten times better than a camping store equivalent!

At first I thought you were going to make a simple 'pillow-case' type bag simply to contain a tent, but instead you've created a bag that any professional would be proud to put their name to - fair play!!! thumbsup

Definitely 1-0 to the sewing machine, with just a smattering of guidance from your good self of course. Can't wait to see the next effort - "Had a couple of hours spare so just ran up a simple flysheet" ...

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 Winner10

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 4:33 am

Definately know the feeling re tent bags.

I adjusted our most recent one by simply opening the side seam from top to bottom and inserting velcro down the opening so we now lay it flat, push in the rolled up canvas and press the velcro closed.

Much easier

margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptySat Mar 10, 2012 7:54 am

Thanks Tom Razz It was fun making it, and we got exactly what we wanted!! Watch out for the flysheet repair - but it really is just a repair rather than being quite so creative Wink

Margaret: I can't imagine we are the only one's with tent bag 'fall outs' - make you wonder why manufacturers can't see the light and use velcro or zips instead tongue Aaah ... I suppose they look forward to us buying new tent bags !!!

African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptySun Mar 11, 2012 12:48 am

We bought an African Dome tent on our 1st trip out and it's bag was fantastic. It was square ended and the top was completely open so the folded tent just dropped inside then the top closed across and velcroed - not a draw string in sight.

Unfortunately we have sold it on after 3 trips as it was single skin canvas and not conducive to English summers.

Our latest D.I.Y. is an off-road sleeping van which will hopefully be ready by Tom's Overland Show

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:18 am

Yes, we have a ground tent for warmer climes and a specific tent fo the UK!!

Looking forward to hearing more about your DIY project! I'd love to see it at the show ... but if all goes to plan we should be on the road tongue

African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Weekly update - Kapp 2 Cape   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyMon Mar 12, 2012 7:45 am

Hi all,

Time for my weekly update. Unfortunately, since I am still a bit of a newbie, today I have struggled to get the forum to allow me to post pics! So, please be patient as this post will be pic-less Sad

The weeks are starting to fly now!  This last one has been impressively speedy.

First up, we launched our new website!  The previous version was created using a online software provided by our host.  As a complete novice, it was very useful in getting a website up and running quickly, and provided a reasonable amount of functionality.  As the website grew and grew, I realised there was so much more I wanted to do with it!  I wanted to let my creativity out of the box.  So, I bought software and took time to recreate the website with a bit more flair to it!  I hope you like it.

I have also been exploring forums to gather more information, meet fellow travellers, and share our experiences with.  Thanks to everyone who has been chatting to me!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0791

On the vehicle front, the interior storage system is taking shape.  The front consol has been replaced with a more spacious version - and very importantly now includes cup / drinks can holders!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0845

In the back, the first layer of the storage is successfully making the transition from paper diagram to real world!  The design has space for 4 Wolf boxes / ammo boxes with 2 purpose built drawers for the middle.  This was constructed using 18mm plywood.  The plan is that heavy, seldom used items will be in this bottom layer: spare parts, our food pantry (i.e. tin cans not needed daily) and similar.  A coat or 2 of varnish should also extend the life of the plywood.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0847

The sewing projects continue too.  The current project under construction is a set of car seat covers.  Keep an eye out next week for more details of progress.

And it’s 25 weeks to go.

Have a great week!

African GirlChild

Last edited by GirlChild on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 3:21 am

You can read/see the on- going project here ......

http://landytown.myfastforum.org/ftopic6288-0-asc-0.php

Margaret
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:49 am

Lookin' good!!

clapping
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Quesetion about bicycles   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 6:52 am

Hi again,

OK, so we are progressing with the vehicle ...

... but I need some input!

We would dearly love to take bicycles with us on the trip. So, where do we put them?

Option 1: put a spare wheel arm on the back of the vehicle and adapt to carry 2 x mountain bike. Probably not the most secure option, but an option.

Option 2: Inside the vehicle has been dismissed.

Option 3, 4 ,5 ... : over to you!

All ideas are welcome.

kind regards

African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:50 pm

Did you mention what your vehicle is - or am I being dense and miss it?

Will the forum software allow you to post piccies now, need to see it?
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Have bicycles - will take with   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Tom,

Sorry - may not have mentioned. We are in an 80 series LandCuiser. The back has a horizontal split, opening up and down.

No piccies yet - I think I have about 24 hours to go tongue but I'll update my weekly update with pics as soon as I can! Should give you a better idea.

Kind rgds

African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 9:49 pm

I'm not a bike rider, but it seems to me you're left with only two choices - bikes on the roof if you haven't already got a roof tent or a swing-away bike rack at the rear.

Both will cost a few bob of course, either for a roof rack or a rear carrier. Out of the two, personally I would plump for the rear carrier as there is less chance of damage from overhead branches, etc.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi yea have to agree with Tom, bike rack on the back, we have one for the D3 it bolts onto tow bar, plus it folds down so we can open tailgate.

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/?gclid=CMyfspXf464CFUEMfAodMUkxZw

Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyWed Mar 14, 2012 9:03 am

Gents - thanks for the input!

**putting thinking cap on**

... scratching chin
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:37 am

OK,

I've had a chance to think.

Roamingman - looks good - however, our kitchen counter is the back of the vehicle, which opens flat.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 IMG_0845

This is the view into the vehicle from the back. Hubby has given me a nice wooden kitchen countertop to work from for the trip! cheers

So, I fear the bikes will only be in the way, and likely end up in a ditch on the side of the road, along with the bike rack (!) on about day 3 Wink

Tom Mc - were you thinking of bikes on the roof standing up or lying down? We will have a roof tent on a roof rack, but I wonder if there might be space if they were lying down (in some way!!)

All ideas are good ideas!

African GirlChild

PS - I can post pics again!! clapping previous weekly update now has pics!

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Far better with piccies! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: weekly Update   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 7:48 am

Hi all!

Time for another weekly update ...

A busy week flew past. Unfortunately, it was more work related (you know, that necessary daily activity that provides the fund for the adventure!) than massive progress on the project, but anyway.

The week started with our second last visit to the nurse at the travel clinic. We have now had the 3rd (and final) rabies innoculation, and our Meningococcal Meningitis jab. We also have a prescription for cholera (oral) which we’ll take in June. Our last jab is the 3rd Hep B, which is also lined up for June. Then, we should be adequately covered for our trip - even if it lasts longer than a year.

On the shopping front, Viking Explorer has been keeping his eye on ebay for any bargains. He watched a refurbished invertor for a few days, but ended up being able to purchase a new one for a sensible price, so that has been added to the equipment.

We have also been investigating some local Pay & Play days to do some driving. There certainly are a few - and not too far away either. Out first date is Easter weekend! Should be fun!

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 JournalIMG_0854

Other projects in the garden took preference today, but progress still made on the interior storage. The interior drawers are starting to take shape. These will fit between the wolf boxes: one at the back, and the other in front of it. Again, items that we don’t need to get to regularly will be housed in there.

The car seat covers are taking shape! We have chosen a brightly coloured deck chair fabric, which hasn’t been too bad to work with. As mentioned previously, the design is very simple.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 JournalIMG_0851

So far, I have adjusted the fabric to fit down the back of the passenger seat, over the top, down the front and reach down in front of the seat. The sitting-onpart needed to have extra panels added for width (deck chair fabric is quite narrow). I also came up with a cunning plan to insert eyelets at the top.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 JournalIMG_0852

The next part of the design will have straps and buckles around the sides - which link the sitting-on-part to the hanging-down-the-back part. I also want to put some pockets on the hanging-down-the-back part for a book or two, and other items needing easy access. Lastly, depending on how the car seat covers feel at that point, I may put straps under the seat to secure the hanging-down-the-back part to the bit in front of the seat. I hope that all makes sense!

And so, that is where we are with 24 short weeks to go …

Comments and thoughts always welcome!

Kind rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Weekly update - 23 weeks to go   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 8:31 am

Hi all!

What a stunning weekend! I can't believe it is still March and we almost managed a BBQ today! We opted for a mountain bike ride instead Wink

Anyway, here is the weekly update from Kapp2cape! Enjoy!

PS - if the piccies are huge, I apologise. I did resize them ... really I did ... Razz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Such a variety of activities in the week gone by - all contributing to us heading out on our journey on time.

Documents! In this past week, we both received our new passports. We now have sufficient blank pages and passport validity to see us through our trip - and more. Great!

Next - the water tank. After many deliberations months back, and viewing many different water tanks, we decided on the water tank we wanted. Our preference is for a thin flat tank that fits along the load guard, rather than opting for a foot well tank. Of course, searches in the UK revealed nothing, but we had tracked down something suitable in Australia and South Africa! Shipping, of course, added considerably to the price! Frontrunner in South Africa referred us to a distributor in Belgium - but they were twice the price before shipping factored in! Despairing slightly, hubby did a final search in the UK ... and found 2 suppliers of the exact model! A few phonecalls, and he established one was less than 20 miles away. Fantastic. Water tank finally on order, and hopefully we should be able to pick it up by the Easter weekend.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 JournalTwodrawerscomplete

The internal storage made good progress. The frame for the bottom layer has now had 2 coats of varnish, so should be sealed against the elements. This is now almost ready for installation in the vehicle. To remind you, there is space for 4 wolf / ammo boxes (2 on the left, 2 on the right) and hubby constructed two wooden boxes for the compartment in the middle. These have had one coat of varnish, so will receive their second in the coming week.

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 Journalinternalstorage

The final feature is piano hinged ‘wings’ on the left and right of the frame, connected to the vehicle interior (that is real girl-speak!) Looking good!

The car seat covers have taken shape - sorry, no photos. I have made good progress on the construction of the driver and passenger seats covers - the ‘third seat’ cover still needs to ne started. There are now buckles in place to connect the front to the back (around the side of the seat). The last design feature is pockets on the back to hold books, pens, notebooks etc. I hope to finish this in the coming week. Then, I can start the ‘third seat’ cover.

Time is gathering speed. As expected. The clocks changed this weekend, and together with warmer weather, it is more realistic now to work on our project in the evenings after work.

Amazingly, it is 23 weeks to go. Next weekend - we hit 5 months. Exciting! Frightening ...
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 8:43 am

So much to do, so little time ...

Yep, scary how fast it goes, but its coming on a treat.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyMon Mar 26, 2012 6:40 pm

Have you thought about folding bikes there are some funky new types out there not like the old moltons of yesteryear.
A friend of mine has two he takes along in his small motorhome they fit in a small bag about the size of a camping chair.
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am

Tom Mc wrote:
So much to do, so little time ...

Yep, scary how fast it goes, but its coming on a treat.

Yes Tom - so little time indeed! I was thinking this weekend, as hubby was working outside in the shed until 8pm - how do people who leave in Jan or Feb manage their preparations in the cold and dark through winter!?!?!!

rgds
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012   Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Kapp 2 Cape - Nordkapp to Cape Agulhas 2012
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next