4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Tents wot you got?

Go down 
+28
GirlChild
chrissue
Steve UK
spider
andy-lightweight
rustyrhinos
andyk
mugwump
JSG
RLD
gemini
Stoo
landy andy
wideformat4x4
Jas
roamingman
Chris S
chally2
MrLeadfoot
Mac
Vixen
Assassin
tuggy
4x4overlander
Hillbilly Raider
Tom Mc
horacebat
Reddisco
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mac
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Mac

Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 05, 2011 7:26 am

Nice set up andy
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 am

We have an Outwell Trout Lake. Nice tent. Well designed. Badly put together. It's still under warrenty...What the shopthat sold it is going to say when I plonk it on the floor. It was green. Now it's a sort of grey colour. Mind you six months continual use ???
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 11:15 pm

WEll got one of these on the 130 and one of these on the trailer and then one of these for the winter
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Magg_extr_04
[
co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/10234/normal_Oliver%20camping%20with%20his%20Grandad%20005.jpg[/img]
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Normal_laks%20week%20end%20007
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Normal_laks%20week%20end%20014
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Normal_Oliver%20camping%20with%20his%20Grandad%20005
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm

Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Dark_sky_camp_site_005%7E0
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Dark_sky_camp_site_002

these 2 are mine as well as this

Tents wot you got? - Page 3 7576Varanger%20camp
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 10, 2011 8:27 pm

How long does it take to put up the tipee thing
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 4:00 am

Not very long as you peg out round the base part way stick the center pole up and peg out the rest you can leave the inner tent in all the time then you only have the ground sheet to clip in 1/4 hr most to get it all up
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyWed May 11, 2011 7:32 pm

Nice set up I particularly like the empty stella boxes in picture 4 cheers1
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyThu May 12, 2011 2:44 am

cheers1 lots of that going on glug
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyFri May 20, 2011 5:02 am

I like the fold down shelves on the side of the truck and the easy access selection of knives....
Hitman springs to mind!
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyTue May 31, 2011 7:33 am

No they don't fold down they clip on so i can put them on the 130 when of in that up Kielder last week end

Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Lifting_the_vale_and_next_doors_cat_005
Back to top Go down
JSG
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 2:50 am

After many years of camping the thing that always annoyed me was the time it took to erect tents and take them down - even more so in bad weather - once in Cornwall with a 'family' sized Coleman tent the wind and rain was so bad we gave up and went to a Travel Lodge for the night Laughing

I'd happily pay for a quality item that will last and at the Eastnor show in 2007 I first saw the Oztent demo. Impressed so much I bought one there and then with sides and front. I bought the RV1 on the basis it would fit inside the 110 along one side with the second row seat folded. It was fine for two of us to go away in but too small for all the stuff and the lack of height in the main section made it a pain unless the front and sides were up.

I sold it and bought an RV5 (on the basis that it wasn't much bigger to lug about than a RV3 or 4). I bought the sides and front with it and earlier this year a mate who was working in Oz bought a RV5 tagalong back for me on his companies freight allowance adore That gives an extra room for the kids which is ideal.

Whilst expensive the RV5 is well worth it - it gets used at least six weekends a year plus holidays - last year two weeks in France. In the 90 TR it went in the roof rack at an angle and on the new 110 it sits in Oztent basket on roof bars.

I have a small pop up double skinned tent for the odd overnight but tend to use the basic RV5 on its own as it so quick to erect.

Never tried rooftents on a Landrover but the thing that puts me off is having to pack up to drive to the shops etc. I've always fancied one of the wind up Maggiolina roof tents though .......

We did have a Howling moon roof tent on an off road trailer for a while but the additional ferry costs and storage were an issue.
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 am

you are right putting the roof tent up and down was a pain so i put it on the trailer easy the mag tent well 2 mins really so good only got that to go to Morocco last year was going to sell it but not now was tempted on the Defender 2 site to buy another well i do collect things i am doing another trailer so i thought i would get it anyway no i did not but you never know Wink
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 11:27 am

It's taken a hallava long time and a lot of dosh spent on a host of innovate tents, but now I'm coming to the opinion that simplicity is definitely the best.

Let's face it, when retiring at a show in the UK, at a campsite abroad or wild camping anywhere in the world, you are either ...

(a) totally knackered though driving/heat/cold/whatever, or (b) having had a 'merry' evening with your partner or the locals, are simply too p****d to care, so why bother with sophisticated, expensive tents when all you really need is something soft underneath and something dry surrounding you?

Me, I now go for an inexpensive 3-man (3-person ... sorry!!! ) Embarassed two-layer instant pop-up tent that is 0% hassle, 100% convenience.

Arguements against invited ...
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 30, 2011 9:52 pm

Yes they are good, but we were able to put our oztent up or down in the same time it takes for a pop up, but remeber after they are up very quick, you then have to peg them down.
Not mutch differance in time, we have a rv4, and unlike a pop up with the oztent, we have camp beds in, more comfortable
than on the floor. clinking teacups

So depending on personal experiance every body is differant. Good and bad in each. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 01, 2011 12:22 pm

roamingman wrote:
So depending on personal experiance every body is differant. Good and bad in each. cheers
True enough, each to their own. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 12:16 am

I use a Fishing brand Tent when Camping. Really sturdy stuff. Here is a write up on the Tent:

http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t162-fox-ground-tents#3464

Jason
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Have a big green family tent that we got cheap on ebay which has been great for family holidays and has had to put up with some pretty poor weather but suspest at 30 mins to put up would be too much for every night.

Also have small two man tent which proved to be great put up in 5 mins and proved to be very comfy but suspect with smaller tents that are easier to put up when on long trip, and hang on to the old family for hols.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 04, 2011 9:44 am

30 minute to erect a tent is far too much for my liking, doubtless even more when windy (the weather, not those erecting the tent, then again ... affraid )

Like you say, okay if staying a while but you really do need something quick and simple if on the move constantly.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 15, 2011 8:43 pm

i now have the roof tent on my snaky trailer,,,,now takes even less time to put up,,,,,5 mins max,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 8:14 am

Hi there,
well I recently bought an F30 Jet Tent made by Oz Tent.

We already have an RV-2 but were a little worried that the only way we could carry it on the 110 was strapped to the roof bars supporting our Maggiolina. We were worried that the corrugated roads of Australia would damage the tent the way we were carrying it so when the Jet Tent arrived we bought one straight away as it would fit on our small roof rack behind the Maggiolina. It would be a much smaller pack size but much larger tent and we could stand up in it.
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 P1020810
Here we are in the sunny south lakes with our RV-2 and our F30 (we took my sister and son camping). As you can see the F30 is huge compared to the RV-2 yet the Jet tent is easier to carry.

We use the awning part as our kitchen and the sleeping part as our living room, with carpet! where we can sit and talk etc on a night.
Tents wot you got? - Page 3 P1020811
As per the RV-2 the end panel also comes with an awning where the back of Bluey our Landy would normally be parked up to.

The tent has stood up to a massive storm (at this years Dunsfold do) with absolutely no leakage. It isn't as easy as the Oz tent to put up but it is as fast to erect which was handy when it was chucking it down at Dunsfold!

In short not a cheap tent but very good. I'll tell you in about 11 months time how it stood up to 9 months of touring Australia.

Andy, Rosy and Abby
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:14 am

Blimey, you could hold a dinner/dance in ballroom! They've obviously put a lot of thought into the F30, sounds as if it'll be perfect for Oz. When are you off?
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 7:06 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
It's taken a hallava long time and a lot of dosh spent on a host of innovate tents, but now I'm coming to the opinion that simplicity is definitely the best.

Let's face it, when retiring at a show in the UK, at a campsite abroad or wild camping anywhere in the world, you are either ...

(a) totally knackered though driving/heat/cold/whatever, or (b) having had a 'merry' evening with your partner or the locals, are simply too p****d to care, so why bother with sophisticated, expensive tents when all you really need is something soft underneath and something dry surrounding you?

Me, I now go for an inexpensive 3-man (3-person ... sorry!!! ) Embarassed two-layer instant pop-up tent that is 0% hassle, 100% convenience.

Non whatsoever.

It's not the actual pitching of the tent. Rather the filling with gear....That's why we have other plans in the pipeling
Back to top Go down
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 7:43 am

Hi there,
we're shipping Bluey towards the end of September then spending a few weeks touring Europe by rail. We'll then fly straight to Perth to hopefully greet Bluey off the ship then spend the next 8/9 months touring Western Australia before heading off to Dubbo to settle down and make a new life for ourselves.

Andy, Rosy and Abby
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 12:24 pm

Sounds like a plan. When there we'll expect tour reports from WA you know, hope you've got your dingle handy! Oooer Mrs!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 12:53 am

Tom Mc wrote:

I am with you on this. if there are only 2/3 of you then a tent should take 5 minutes max to put up. Anymore than that is just annoying. Our dome tent has done a superb job and was not expensive. We tend not to bother with the outer shell, or tent pegs for that matter! I have the same principal on blow up beds, camping beds on frames etc...dont really see the point!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tents wot you got?
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next