4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Hello from Portugal!

Go down 
+3
sundowners
Tom Mc
JorgeSC
7 posters
AuthorMessage
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

Hello from Portugal! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 4:21 am

Hi all!

I'm from Portugal, land of good food eating , good people cuddles , good wine drunken and fantastic offroading clapping 

I have a 1999 Disco TD5, and enjoy using it everytime.

I'm here to learn and ear about our hobby in UK, and to tell you about 4x4 in Portugal.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 5:40 am

Hello Jorge ... welcome! cheers 

We have just been talking about Portugal, so your input will be most welcome. thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 6:25 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Hello Jorge ... welcome! cheers 

We have just been talking about Portugal, so your input will be most welcome. thumbsup 
Thanks for the warm welcome, Tom. By the way, good job your project Macks

I'm more than willing to add something to this forum.

All, please don't hesitate to ask anything. Limited to my knowlodge I'll be glad to help or advise.Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:10 am

Cheers, Macks 4x4 info is a real labour of love. Trouble is these days, companies come and go so quickly, keeping it updated can be a real nightmare. You can but try.
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 7:18 am

Hi
we avoid toll roads as much as possible-----what is the latest situation with Auto toll roads in Portugal ???---------do we have09.09.2013 to get a pre-paid card ---can we pay after we have left the road------if so---do we still have to hunt around for a 'pay station' ??
I would appreciate advice on the latest position on them.  (our camper is 5.5 tonne)
Nigel & Pamala
BTW
Welcome to this forum-------I am also new around here
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 am

sundowners wrote:
Hi
we avoid toll roads as much as possible-----what is the latest situation with Auto toll roads in Portugal ???---------do we have09.09.2013 to get a pre-paid card ---can we pay after we have left the road------if so---do we still have to hunt around for a 'pay station' ??
I would appreciate advice on the latest position on them.  (our camper is 5.5 tonne)
Nigel & Pamala
BTW
Welcome to this forum-------I am also new around here
Hi Nigel, Pamala,

We also avoid toll roads as much as possible!! Which means about all highways getting nowhere fast
When we travel in leisure with our LR, we take the national roads and enjoy the ride...

There are 4 levels of cost per km, depending on the type of the car. My guess is if yours is below 9ton, it will be class1 ... unless the height measured in front wheel`s vertical is above 1,10m !!! In this case it will be a class 2 (roughly 1,7x the cost of class1) ... unless you have a trailer, in which case it will be a class4 (yes, 4) and a very high cost per km mad angry 

It is a mysterious and opaque set of rules... even for us. And is a living "thing" always evolving...stupid 

The best way to get it clear is to ask them directly:

(sorry, had the link and email, but new members aren´t allowed for 7 days...)
Search the web by Via Verde Portugal then goto Home / Products and Services / Products / Visitors. It has a English version.

Anyway, my advise is to plan the time required, travel on nacional roads and... enjoy the ride

...and thanks for the welcoming...
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 9:20 am

Welcome, clinking teacups  all advice on Portugal is good, we will be going in two weeks.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 11:44 am

roamingman wrote:
Welcome, clinking teacups  all advice on Portugal is good, we will be going in two weeks.  
Thanks. Should you be around Caldas da Rainha the 26th or 27th, please let me know. I'll be more than happy to show you some nice sites aroud here. (I'll be arriving to Portugal the 26th early in the morning, Africa work travel untill then)
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 9:54 pm

Will be going Dover Calais 02/10/13, so be in Portugal around 09-10/10/13 have to be in Algerciaras for 13/10/13 to catch ferry. Dates may change, for Portugal. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 3:04 am

roamingman wrote:
Will be going Dover Calais 02/10/13, so be in Portugal around 09-10/10/13 have to be in Algerciaras for 13/10/13 to catch ferry. Dates may change, for Portugal. clinking teacups 
Unfurtunatly, on those dates, I'll be out of Portugal (leaving the 7th, and returning the 18th), and the 5th we´ll go on a offroad tour (already apointed and payed)

Shouldn´t be this case, I'd me mora than happy to join you for one day, and guide you on a fantastic offroad tracks known by me - On your way to south.

Pherhaps next time...
(pls note that there isn`t any commercial interest on this, It's just me who doesn´t like to loose a chance of offroading and know new people clinking teacups ...)
Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 8:18 pm

hi jorgesc

welcome to the forum!

myself and family joined a commercial trip last summer and travelled from braganca to sargress on as many off-road routes as possible over 12 days and i'm guessing there must be many hundreds of routes we must have missed,we do intend to return one day,proberly just to concentrate on one area where are you located?,i will up date you later on which areas we visited,campsites etc

kevin
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Hi Jorgesc, once we been will try and get back next year or the next. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
Mudslingger
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi mate and welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
http://www.drivingbeyond.com
titomendes
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
titomendes

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 5:47 am

Hi Jorge
I believe I know you from somewhere else cheers1 
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:05 pm

kevinf wrote:
hi jorgesc

welcome to the forum!

myself and family joined a commercial trip last summer and travelled from braganca to sargress on as many off-road routes as possible over 12 days and i'm guessing there must be many hundreds of routes we must have missed,we do intend to return one day,proberly just to concentrate on one area where are you located?,i will up date you later on which areas we visited,campsites etc

kevin
Thanks for welcoming, Kevin,

I believe that if you concentrate on one region, you'll take the most of it.

In my area (Caldas da Rainha) there are a handful of points of interest.

We have sandy tracks (Pinhal de Leiria), lowland tracks, near Tagus river, hilltop tracks, os Serra de Montejunto, and historical tracks, Linhas de Torres, which is a defense complex that Wellighton built during the French Invasion of Portugal. All this in a radius of 100 Kms!

Other than this, you can take a day to go around the area visiting the Obidos village and the castle, or Peniche and have a nice fresh fish for lunch eating  - and the suggestions goes on and on...

You would have things to do during a week!

I would be glad to meet you, advise you on the sites to go, and (depending on the dates) join you for one or two days offroading.

Tito, a newbie as myself on this forum but not on OffRoad activities, leaves in another region of Portugal, near Setubal. For sure he can also advise you, and give you the same support for his region.

Come and visit us! clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm

roamingman wrote:
Hi Jorgesc, once we been will try and get back next year or the next. clinking teacups 
Come and you'll be welcome. When you return this time, please let me know your opinion...
Hope you have a nice trip! thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Mudslingger wrote:
Hi mate and welcome to the forum
Thanks Mudslingger.  Feeling welcomed Smile thumbsup
Back to top Go down
JorgeSC
Rookie
Rookie
JorgeSC

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 12:16 pm

titomendes wrote:
Hi Jorge
I believe I know you from somewhere else cheers1 
scratching chin Very Happy

I believe so!!
cheers1
Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! EmptyFri Sep 13, 2013 8:10 am

thanks for the offer!

hopefully we will return to Portugal one day and come to see you !
I've just been checking my maps and found we didn't visit your area or Setubal last time.

cheers kevin
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello from Portugal!   Hello from Portugal! Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello from Portugal!
Page 1 of 1