4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

4wd car as basis for overland trip?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
davegt
Rookie
Rookie

4wd car as basis for overland trip? Empty
PostSubject: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Hi Folks, I am new to the forum but I have had a trip in mind for a while now.

A friend of mine did the Plymouth to Banjoul event a number of years ago in a battered old M2 Golf and loved every minute of it. I am not planning that type of event but it got me thinking. I have taken my last 5 years of holidays in mainland europe with the car and done a mixture of camping and b&b etc. It was fantastic but I want to push things a bit further.

I have a rough plan in mind to head from Aberdeen over to Norway and head right up to the north of the country into Finland then south to St Petersburg, Kiev and then home west through eastern europe.

I am a big Landrover fan and I have have many landrovers and jap 4x4's in the past. The majority of any overland trip is on road (at least mine would be) and a car with 4wd would be more economical and nicer to be in most of the time.

I was a young fella in 1993 when ford did the overland challenge London to NY in 4x4 Mondeos. I guess its got me thinking about an overland trip in a 4wd car.

So I wanted to get your thoughts on it. I love the bullet proof mature of older Audis so an A6 Tdi Quattro estate is the strongest contender. I am thiking safari roof rack, winter tyres, underbody protection, awning etc.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Dave
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. cheers

An interesting one. At first a Subaru Forester sprang to mind, but this is petrol. Why not go for a practical, easy-to-drive 4x4 such as a Mitsubishi Delica. Diesel so 30mpg should be possible, comfy, can sleep in it, fit a stove and you can brew up, fit a fridge and you will have cold beers at journey's end, reliable motor, auto box, easily fixed the world over. Worth consideration?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:16 pm

Hi and welcome, clinking teacups

Does sound like a good trip, we have a Land Rover Camper, and only 45 miles from Aberdeen, so not far to the start, normally we have to travel 500/600 miles to start, or is it mainly for 4x4 cars. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
davegt
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:19 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply. I used to have a forester and it would be perfect but they are as thirsty as the Delica.

Would need to be 45mpg hence the Audi.

Plus, I kind of just like to do things differently!

Dave
Back to top Go down
davegt
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm

Romingman, its not an organised trip, just something I fancied doing!
Back to top Go down
davegt
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyTue May 14, 2013 7:47 pm

Tried to post a link but was cancelled by forum. Was a chap used a merc 300 estate. It got me thinking.

He had a pressure cooker under the bonnet too and Long range fuel tanks!

Dave
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:22 am

An anti-spam security thingy within the forum software prevents new registrations like yourself posting links and photos. It does however let you after either a few posts or a set period, don't know which? scratch

Try posting the link without the 3 w's and/or spaces, although I think it's probably the www. it picks up on rather than the .com or .co.uk

i.e. 4x4 overlandtravel . com
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 2:33 am

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Going on fuel efficiency the best 4x4 vehicles I have driven are the VW Tiguan 2.0 tdi bluemotion 4 motion and VW Amorak 2.0 twin turbo di 4 motion. These averaged 44 & 39 mpg.
As for the audi a 45mpg will be un-likely. I have owned and toured in a 2.7 a6 quattro in the uk and the average fuel consumption is around 25mpg.
Based on these facts, I recommend a Terracan. Im my ownership i regularly achieved low 30's mpg. Its a 4x4, and robust and capable enough from standard to tackle most of your travels.
These past 12 months I have driven from the UK to parts of france and spain, all by road in a 2.7 twin turbo Jaguar S Type, and I have documented 57mpg, food for thought really.
These are all standard vehicles, carrying myself, one passenger and the usual host of camping equipment.

Once you fill your vehicle up with equipment and stuff, fit over-sized tyres, add a 100KG in accessories and armor, your fuel efficiency will be significantly effected.

Id recommend before you spend lots of money try the trip with the vehicle standard before spending money on bash plates and other equipment or off road accessories that you might not need.
Your vehicle will remain more reliable especially if its an Audi, cheaper to run and insure and you could save ££££.

Jas
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:21 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:23 am

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:36 am

Never mind about an obscure photo off the net, this was parked up at ADVENTURE OVERLAND last year!

4wd car as basis for overland trip? Ao12_c10

(Mr Colley's photo by the way, not mine!)

Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:40 am

Being a bit Mr Thicky here .... what car is that?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyWed May 15, 2013 6:56 am

Definitely an Alfa Romeo, but no idea of the model.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 3:53 am

I think its a 159 alfa
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 5:46 am

Been trawling though Alfa's catalogue for several hours now, but can't seem to find an Ezi-Awn roof tent as an Oprional Extra - can't understand why? scratch

Must be looking in the wrong section, think I'll go back and have another go.
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 6:25 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Been trawling though Alfa's catalogue for several hours now, but can't seem to find an Ezi-Awn roof tent as an Oprional Extra - can't understand why? scratch

Must be looking in the wrong section, think I'll go back and have another go.

It was only a factory fitted extra in the Asian market, so you would need to import one from Japan lol!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? EmptyThu May 16, 2013 10:59 am

Doh! doh

Knew there had to be a reason. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4wd car as basis for overland trip?   4wd car as basis for overland trip? Empty

Back to top Go down

4wd car as basis for overland trip?
Page 1 of 1