4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Desert overlander

Go down 
+3
Tom Mc
maadmaan10
transnamib
7 posters
AuthorMessage
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 6:55 am

New to the forum but not to overlanding. Have driven alone in the Namib and Kalahari and also driven as part of a group to the Moroccon Sahara.

My vehicle is a Nissan Patrol TD6, with uprated suspension and AT tyres. For overlanding I take out the rear seats and put in a flat loadbed. Beneath this goes the second spare wheel and vehicle spares, tools etc. On top during the day go 8 storage boxes lashed down. At night, boxes stored in pop up tent and loadbed becomes my bed, so dry and secure. Rear awning tent completes the set up.

Am considering another southern Africa trip next year or possibly Australia - lots of big desert, though not perhaps for going solo.

Any one else planning desert trips?

Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 8:55 am

Sounds like a great truck, but WHERE ARE THE PICS??
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:52 pm

An official welcome to the forum for yours truly! cheers

Aussies love their Patrols, don't know that much about South Africa though. Think that along with Land Rover, Toyota is the king there.

Yes, photos will be good as it sounds like you've an interesting set-up there, but I think the forum software doesn't allow posting images for about a week after registering. Sorry about that, no control of the software! I realise it's to stop spam, but it's also really annoying for genuine first-timers. No
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:41 pm

Photos in a week then. Welcome.
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Truck pics   Desert overlander EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for the welcome to the site everyone. Will post some pics next week. If anyone has any plans for Namibia, Botswana or Southern Africa generally as well as Oz, would be interested to hear. Sharing experience very welcome - One thing I have learned is that knowing one desert does not prepare you for the conditions and problems in another.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 1:41 am

Hello & Welcome to the forum!

Jason
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 2:29 am

Hi and welcome, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptySat Mar 17, 2012 6:03 am

transnamib wrote:
One thing I have learned is that knowing one desert does not prepare you for the conditions and problems in another.
Very true.
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: My Patrol in the Sahara   Desert overlander EmptySat Mar 31, 2012 1:57 am

Desert overlander Morocc14
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 3:28 am

Yep, that's definitely a Patrol. clapping

Don't know how you managed to get that shot, must be the camera strapped to the back of that trained pigeon of yours? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyThu Apr 12, 2012 4:25 am

Hi and welcome to the forum
Back to top Go down
transnamib
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptyFri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 am

That wasn't a trained bird. The photo was taken by a pleasant but totally mad Norwegian guy I met up with en route to Western Sahara. He had just bought a one year old Defender and decided to go dune bashing. He had two speeds - stop and flat out. He just drove full tilt at any available obstacle (including the gravel heaps marking the edge of the mine fields. In between, he photographed absolutely everything. Will post some pics of the internal layout in a day or two.

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:18 am

Sounds like a total loon ... he'd fit in here a treat! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Desert overlander Empty
PostSubject: Re: Desert overlander   Desert overlander Empty

Back to top Go down

Desert overlander
Page 1 of 1