4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Poll: What To look out for?

Go down 
+2
roamingman
Jas
6 posters

What to look out for when buying your 4x4.
Popular Cool Image
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap0%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Comfort
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap15%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 7 ]
Load Space
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap17%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 17% [ 8 ]
Carrying Capacity
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap4%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Reliability
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap21%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 21% [ 10 ]
Off Road Ability
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap15%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 15% [ 7 ]
Badge Make
 0% [ 0 ]
Colour
 0% [ 0 ]
Modifications Available
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap2%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Vehicle Size
 2% [ 1 ]
Driving Position
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap6%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Engine Size
 2% [ 1 ]
Towing Ability
 2% [ 1 ]
Spares Availability
Poll: What To look out for? Vote_lcap13%Poll: What To look out for? Vote_rcap
 13% [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 47

AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Poll: What To look out for? Empty
PostSubject: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 8:48 am

I have started a poll to help New members or guest of this forum and the world.

What SHOULD We/They be looking out for when buying a vehicle for overland travel, touring and general off roading?

Poll option is multiple choice, please chose a maximum of 3 options.

Feel free to add any comments or advice below.

Thanks

TJ
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 9:39 am

I voted for 3, could have ticked a few more.

Depens on what you wish to to, also what you want from a motor, and every body has thier on view on what make. clinking teacups

Good poll to help people chose what they need. clapping
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 3:00 am

I could have voted for more but I chose the ones that the wife and I went through in the purchase of Keg our 101.

The short story is we had a very reliable very capable discovery 2. But when we pulled up somewhere the wife just wanted to get in the back and get her head down rather than faf about with tents.. A roof tent was an idea but I wouldn't want it on the car all the time and it is pretty massive to keep in the garage, so a car we could sleep in was on the list.

Now a nice vw camper van would be great but I am an off roader, I also do a bit of game keeping and green lanes so a car that could have crap and feeders chucked in the back and taken up some tracks was necessary, so the 101 was suggested and she actually said yes so I wasn't going to ask twice.

Mine was bought and converted to basically be a tent on wheels with no nonsense storage capability, that could easily be cleaned out for those dodgy game keeping scenarios.

I also am a keen home mechanic. The d2 was ok to work on but the electrickery was always on my mind. Now with Keg I always have something to tinker with even if I don't have to. I just enjoy it.

So reliability. Well a 33 year old truck probably isn't as reliable as a 10 year old d2 but I know, I and a bush mechanic could fix/bodge it.

Load space, enough for a double bed and our kit.

Off road ability a must with me

Comfort is out the window. I want to feel the road I'm going down. People say bikers get a better overlanding experience because they are closer to the people rather than driving along in an aircon cacoon. Well I feel I am pretty close to it as well.

What I think is the 101's weakness is spares. It shares spares with rrc and series 3 109s and the unique spares I will take along with me or make do with out. But to be honest I hoping that everything should be repairable.

That's my 2 pence worth I why I chose quite a different vehicle

Oh and fuel aint great but every time I'm at the pump I say to my self suck it up cup cake then I jump in and drive off with a smile on my face.

Poll: What To look out for? IMG_1768

Poll: What To look out for? IMG_1769-1

Poll: What To look out for? IMG_1774

Poll: What To look out for? IMG_1771

Poll: What To look out for? IMG_1770

Poll: What To look out for? 400362_3175274265965_1388820421_33303382_161836958_n
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:56 am

A classic case of 'each to their own'. If it does the job for you, then who's to argue? And if they do ... censored 'em!!!
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:18 am

Tom Mc wrote:
If it does the job for you, then who's to argue? And if they do ... censored 'em!!!

Best thing I've heard in a while!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:06 pm

This is another case of people having different requirements, needs and circumstances, but the bike, yes i have to confess while off roading on them i have been too close to the terrain too many times and have the scars from being much too close to the terrain.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 4:57 am

If anyone can think of more options that are valid to this poll then post them UP, Ill add them in and members will then have a designated time period to either alter their poll options or not.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 8:38 pm

Well, as tends to be a theme in my few posts so far, I always put "ease of bush repairs" at the top of my list. I suppose another consideration would be "analogue" (pre-electronic management) vehicles or Computer controlled vehicles. You could also include diesel versus petrol...sea container-sized versus Ro-Ro...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Poll: What To look out for?   Poll: What To look out for? Empty

Back to top Go down

Poll: What To look out for?
Page 1 of 1