4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Expedition / Camper 110

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

Expedition / Camper 110 Empty
PostSubject: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 8:10 pm

Hello,
does anyone have a van back 110 which they have converted to a camper / expedition vehicle?
just wondering what people have done in the back, i have a good idea with what to do with mine but any new ideas welcome.

Needs a beed that A, sleeps 2 people & B, folds away
Needs storage for clothes, cookware (cooker and gas is sorted)

On board water is the other thing i would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on, i need it but where to put it and how much to pay is the question

Cheers Kieran
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:50 pm

Have a look at this it might help. Most are from a LR.

http://www.azalai.co.uk/galleryInterior.php

TJ
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyTue Jan 31, 2012 11:59 pm

Cheers,
looks nice, and if i had that kinda money... i would spend it on a trip rather than one of them Laughing
Back to top Go down
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:06 am

Hi there,
I rebuilt my 1994 110 into an expedition camper and am currently touring Western Australia using it what it was built for!! You can have a look at the photos of the rebuild here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andyrosy/collections/72157626641904863/

As you will see from the photos we went for a roof tent cos the load area was taken up with other stuff. We went for two water tanks and a scepter style jerry can to carry water. Our total amount is 120lts, 60 in a plastic tank carried internally, 40 lts in an external stainless steel tank and of course the jerry can in an external side locker. So far we've found it works well. We can refill the tanks using a hose pipe if a pressurised source is available or using gravity and the jerry can if the tap is too far away or too low a pressure.

Anyway have a look and if you've got any questions I'll happily answer them. Replies may take time as we may be somewhere where we can't get a signal!

Andy,Rosy and Abby (currently at Hopetoun WA)
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 12:18 am

Hello,
Many thanks for posting that,
Certainly what its meant to be used for!
looks smart
I'm assuming thats the Heavy load terrafirma suspension you have got fitted?
its a very similar 110 ive got, ( alot more battered mind )

i think i wil put a little more uptop than inside as a roof tent isn't that practicle for my particular needs,

How long is the trip you are on?
how much fuel can you carry?

Cheers Kieran
Back to top Go down
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 am

Hi there,
thanks!!

we can carry 135lt of fuel in tanks with the option of carrying another 25lt in a jerry can (this is currently carrying petrol for our stove). The extra capacity is carried in an under wing tank which is plumbed in between the filler and the main tank.

It is Terrafirma suspension I fitted - +2" HD rears with +2" Medium duty fronts, the springs are great but the shocks I replaced later in the build with Old Man Emu as the Terrafirma were rubbish once the Landy started to get loaded up with camping equipment. Once the roof tent went on (which wasn't that heavy) the handling was scarey so OME shocks were fitted (dual on the rear) and the handling returned.

I wouldn't load up the roof too much, we have our roof tent, our ground tent (a Jet Tent) and the high lift jack up there and thats quite enough!!

We're travelling for 5 months this time, we've explored the south west corner of WA and are now waiting for favourable weather (not too hot and wet) to cross the Outback Way through the centre of Australia (2800 kms of dirt road from Lenora to Winton) then head to Toowoomba and Brisbane to visit relatives. We'll then head south to Dubbo NSW where we are going to live as I managed to get a permanent residency visa cos my wife is Australian (why Dubbo? It's where her brother lives).

We wanted to explore the north but the timing was wrong and its too hot for travelling up there, plus they're getting plenty of rain at the moment so many of the roads will be impassable. So we'll do the north at a later date.

My one piece of advice for your build would be don't buy the cheapest gear - 9 times out of ten they are not as good as the expensive stuff. I've learnt from bitter experience if you buy cheap you end up buying twice!! Plus if you're in the middle of nowhere you don't want that cheap bit breaking and causing untold problems.

We were by no means rich so if we wanted something we waited and saved until we could afford the part we wanted. With the vast distances involved in Australia we built Bluey to be as reliable as we could get him. It took me two years to rebuild the Land Rover and another two or three years to kit him out with camping equipment which worked for us the way we wanted to camp!

Apart from rearranging the packing a little we got it right and we're having a great time!

Andy, Rosy and Abby
Back to top Go down
gchinsr
Rookie
Rookie
gchinsr

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm

I am converting our 110 into a camper in the USA, and had these same questions. I have 2 Jerry can lockers made by Rhino in the UK, which hold 2-20ltr jerry cans each. These are available on EBay, and are the ones also sold and installed by Foleys, so proven over time. The best part is they use the dead space of the wheel box in front of the rear wheel. I am a simple kind of guy, and did not want to mount a tank, and will have Scepter water cans for storage. I have an aux fuel tank, and with one water can mounted inside, can carry 100ltrs of water if needed. Its nice to have the option, to mix and match water/fuel needs to changing conditions. Plus having all the heavy weight at frame height between the wheels help keep COG as low as possible. I had asked the chap who makes these to make the rear right hand storage locker that Foleys had installed before, so another 32ltrs of external space available. Using the dead space of the wheel box was a major priority, being a live in design. I have posted in the Custom Builds section for the planned interior layout, with some explanation to design.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expedition / Camper 110   Expedition / Camper 110 Empty

Back to top Go down

Expedition / Camper 110
Page 1 of 1