4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Tents wot you got?

Go down 
+28
GirlChild
chrissue
Steve UK
spider
andy-lightweight
rustyrhinos
andyk
mugwump
JSG
RLD
gemini
Stoo
landy andy
wideformat4x4
Jas
roamingman
Chris S
chally2
MrLeadfoot
Mac
Vixen
Assassin
tuggy
4x4overlander
Hillbilly Raider
Tom Mc
horacebat
Reddisco
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

Tents wot you got? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 7:32 am

When Dave and I did the French trip last year we set off with two 2second tent,s , after a sweaty breathless night (tent,s not well ventilated) first thing the next morning they went in the bin, then it was in to the first Decathlon we saw to get two normal dome tents, 24 euro,s each that was money well spent.

Tents wot you got? - Page 2 P1010011

Dave and I are well seasoned campers, so when setting up camp first job is to put the peculator on and by the time the coffee is ready both tents were up and bed,s in and done.
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Reddisco
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 10:25 am

Ive seen guys on the using dome tents on a roof rack with a sheet of ply on it as a cheap way of getting of the ground anybody any experience views on this idea?

Mac wrote:

I am therefore thinking about the Oztent....as you can still use the Disco to pop out for milk etc, as well as cook and get gear out the motor if it's raining.

We like the idea of the awning part on the oz tent back the disco up to it open the back door and youve got a covered room for cooking etc it makes it a very versitile option and one i'd say were we will start.

Was looking at the jet tent on you tube there and it seams a good job few Q's though do all oztents come with/need this fly cover to make them fully water proof? any idea on what the price will be when it comes and also price of the extra sides?

Plan is to try and get to the billing lro show in july never been before so will be something different we usally go till the birmingham classic car show but its the same every year so gonna start mixing them up abit.
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 6:51 pm

The Oz tents are waterproof without the solar reflective fly. However using the fly helps the tent by keeping it cooler and in condensation control. Also gives greater privacy if you go for maximum ventilation.

All tents suffer from condensation to a greater or lesser extent and Oztents and Autohome roof tents are no exception. Lets face it you can get condensation on your bedroom windows at home. Sleep with your head under the big picture window with just the mesh screen in place then you get no condensation. However privacy on a camp site is then compromised. Use the fly sheet then you can have maximum ventilation, maximum ventilation and privacy.

Remember condensation control is a matter of temperature, ventilation control and the permability of the tent fabric. For the permability to work you need a positive water vapour pressure gradient across the fabric. (Am not sure of correct technical terms). Hope have explained that correctly. The more permabile you make a fabric the less water proof it becomes

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 7:42 pm

I just looked at the Oz tent jet tent. It looks like a copy of the Black Wolf Turbo Tent. I think the Black Wolf Tent looks better from the pics on both websites....and it is marginally cheaper. Both pack up to similar size & weight.

http://www.blackwolf.com.au/turbo/turbo-240/

http://jettent.com/index.php?option=com_improducts&view=productdisplay&product_id=2

Turbo Tent is still winning for me.

Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 8:02 pm

Problem with the Black Wolf for UK forum members is

Quote :

BLACKWOLF IS AVAILABLE IN AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND ONLY. Please note that products can only be purchased through approved retail outlets & will not be sold direct.

taken from Black Wolf website

Brendan
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 7:34 am

I've got an oz tent. I got a really good deal on ebay. It came with all the extra panels and poles.
I recommend getting at least the side panels and front screen. This makes the tent basically 2 rooms. and great for cooking in, and the front screen still has an awning to go onto the landy.

First time I used mine it had half a foot of snow on it, and it worked great.

I toyed with the idea of a roof tent but didn't like the fact you can only use it on your landy. I have used mine for guests in the garden and camping normally. Don't think you can do that with a roof tent.

I am looking for a box to stow it in on the roof to make packing up a bit quicker.

buy an oz tent you will always need a roof rack
Back to top Go down
Reddisco
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 8:28 am

I do periodically look eBay but I've never seen any on it.
How do you find using it? Is it a bit slow till put away then?
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:20 am

We're using an Oztent RV2 most of the time, had it just over two years now and it works well for what we use it for. From spulling up to going to sleep is less than 5 mins on an overnighter and packing up is just as quick. reckon the bit that takes the longest is getting it off the roof!
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Reddisco
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:32 am

Chris S wrote:
We're using an Oztent RV2 most of the time, had it just over two years now and it works well for what we use it for. From spulling up to going to sleep is less than 5 mins on an overnighter and packing up is just as quick. reckon the bit that takes the longest is getting it off the roof!

That is something I meant to ask wot size model do most people have or think is best to go for? There is at present only the two of us but you never know Wink

Also on a side note what chairs do u have recommend? I read an article in lro last month and picked directors style chairs as best allrounder but @ £75 ish each I thought pretty expensive views?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mac
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Mac

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 am

I like to sleep on an 'american cot' which is 6feet long, so the rv3 would suit me better. Sleep
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 10:14 am

cant say what is best or what you need thats your choice but we find an RV4 is just right for 2. gives you room to move about when dressing etc and somewhere to put bags and stuff plus if you havent put the front awning and sides on and it rains , theres enough room for 2 chairs and a table with plenty of head room
as for chairs we now have the OZ chairs , although for many years the £4.99 supermarket ones have served us well
i have no conection with any retailer of Oz Tent products but can highly recommend both the tents and the chairs.
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Reddisco wrote:
Chris S wrote:

That is something I meant to ask wot size model do most people have or think is best to go for? There is at present only the two of us but you never know Wink

Also on a side note what chairs do u have recommend? I read an article in lro last month and picked directors style chairs as best allrounder but @ £75 ish each I thought pretty expensive views?

Thanks

Allthough we have the RV2 and sizewise it's great for us, I'd say either go bigger or smaller as the RV2 has a different hinge set up and is weaker - weve never snapped a hinge but did send the first tent back under warranty because of the hinges bending to past 45 degrees in the wind.

Also, IMO, unless you plan to stay for more than a couple of nights anywhere at a time, I'd really not bother with the side panels or front panel straight away - we've used ours once and only because we were on one site for a few days and the weather was horrendous.

The floor saver and the flysheet on the other hand are great
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Reddisco wrote:
Chris S wrote:

Thanks

Red try and see the different sizes side by side. Also depends on what you sleep on, sleeping mats, double air bed or campbed/stretchers. As camp beds are about 400-500 mm off ground and a good 2m long this limits your choice to a certain extent as the tent wall slope inwards.

Growing family? Well it is possible to connect Oz tents together and the new tagalong tent hits UK shores in about 3 weeks

So you can extend the Oztent arrangement as time goes on. Best size for you? That I am afraid is down to you.

I know one guy who swears by his RV1 as it fits across the tub of his 90 pick up. We as a couple use a RV4 and the foxwing. We sleep on a double airbed and have a chair inside and sometimes an ali box as a bedside table Razz

As I have said before try and see as many possible different set ups as possible. However one benefit about Oztents is that if you decide that it is not for you then you can sell it on and you will get the majority of your money back if it is in good condition

Brendan

PS Please remember my comments above could be prejudiced as we sell Oztents Embarassed Razz
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 4:16 am

chally2 wrote:
I've got an oz tent. I got a really good deal on ebay. It came with all the extra panels and poles.
I recommend getting at least the side panels and front screen. This makes the tent basically 2 rooms. and great for cooking in, and the front screen still has an awning to go onto the landy.

First time I used mine it had half a foot of snow on it, and it worked great.

I toyed with the idea of a roof tent but didn't like the fact you can only use it on your landy. I have used mine for guests in the garden and camping normally. Don't think you can do that with a roof tent.

I am looking for a box to stow it in on the roof to make packing up a bit quicker.

buy an oz tent you will always need a roof rack

don't need a roof rack if you have a D3, lucky only 2 of us so all seats down, oztent (RV4) just fits in, plus all outher gear we also do use oztent camp beds and chairs. We also fix in a raised shelf above tent, so as to be able to take tent out first and put back last. Also have side and front pannels. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 1:31 pm

Storing the tent inside the vehicle like Yoda (roamingman) has to be the best option, but he's lucky it fits in his Disco 3.The Defender definitely can't accept an Oz Tent and now it's been proved neither can a Disco 1 or 2. I bet my Rangie can. I've had two armchairs in the back of it and even managed to shut the upper tailgate. The 3-seater sofa was a bit of a squeeze however, but with the aid of roofbars I managed to get all three items back home in one go. Wish I had taken a photo at the time, it looked comical. Smile
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

D1 will definitiely take an RV2 as that's how we used to carry ours (don't know about the bigger ones but I was told the bag the RV2 comes in is the same size as the rest up to RV5 but I don't know for sure) - just sticks in between the front seats a littel bit but not enought o stop you getting in the cubby box. Definitely wont' go int the 90 though but reckon it would in a 110.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:56 am

Just had a mesure in the D3 it just sits on the cubby box, but can lift up and get suff out, oztent is 6' 10", so checked in D1 it fully covers cubby box also in my opinion if you have a manual would be hard to change gear, shoud be ok if auto. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:13 am

This is from another post on here by me:

http://www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t162-fox-ground-tents

Basicaly for a ground tent it works very well, good value, strong, easy to store.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 2:46 am

roamingman wrote:
Just had a mesure in the D3 it just sits on the cubby box, but can lift up and get suff out, oztent is 6' 10", so checked in D1 it fully covers cubby box also in my opinion if you have a manual would be hard to change gear, shoud be ok if auto. clinking teacups

Sorry, should have said we put it in on top of the boxes so it sits between elbow and shoulder height - it's not great but it worked (and hopefully will work in a coupel of weeks as we'll have to use the new D1 as the 90 won't be ready by then)
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:20 am

Has anybody seen or used the Landy tent I can't remember where I saw it advertised.
It ties on to the side of a roof rack you undo a couple of straps flip it over the side of the rack and peg the bottom tub on the ground, done.

It looked simple enough to work and the price was around the £200 mark so not as frightening as the Oz tent or a conventional roof tent, and as one side of it is close to the side of you truck it would be pretty sheltered from the wind.
Which would be good, I remember the wind at the Stoneleigh show last year, cost me 2 gazebo's came back from the central arena and the first gazebo had gone bye bye's so put the spare up and used 8" coach bolts screwed into the ground with a cordless drill and that went while we were away on the 4x4 course.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 10:25 am

wideformat4x4 wrote:
Has anybody seen or used the Landy tent I can't remember where I saw it advertised.
It ties on to the side of a roof rack you undo a couple of straps flip it over the side of the rack and peg the bottom tub on the ground, done.

It looked simple enough to work and the price was around the £200 mark so not as frightening as the Oz tent or a conventional roof tent, and as one side of it is close to the side of you truck it would be pretty sheltered from the wind.
Which would be good, I remember the wind at the Stoneleigh show last year, cost me 2 gazebo's came back from the central arena and the first gazebo had gone bye bye's so put the spare up and used 8" coach bolts screwed into the ground with a cordless drill and that went while we were away on the 4x4 course.

Just found this link, you have to scroll about half way down to the tent.

www.landiebox.co.uk
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 6:01 am

Thier is one for sale on the D3 forum £275, if you are interested.
can give you a link if you like. clinking teacups

opps someone beet me to it cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Not surprised at that price. Even secondhand I bet it was as good as new. Definitely don't come up too often.
Back to top Go down
landy andy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 7:07 pm

Mine

Tents wot you got? - Page 2 Holiday2230410591

Andy
Back to top Go down
Stoo
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

Anyone have any experience of either of these tents?

http://www.safari-equip.co.uk/index.php?page=200

http://www.terrainvehicles.co.uk/hl/Extended%20tent.html

Be good to get any first hand experiences?

Stoo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tents wot you got?   Tents wot you got? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Tents wot you got?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next