4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Dutch oven cooking

Go down 
+5
Chris S
Jas
4x4overlander
Vixen
MrLeadfoot
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:26 am

Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 pm

Despite Brendan's observation that us Aussies carry heavy gear, like cast iron cooking gear, I would NOT be without a cast iron camp oven on ANY camping trip.

Perfect bread

Dutch oven cooking CampBread

Delicious roasts

Dutch oven cooking DSCF6383

Anything that can be cooked in the oven at home can be done....scones, cakes, pizza...you name it

I would also NOT be without a good BBQ plate. Yes they are heavy, but I like my food and I like decent food Very Happy
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 9:50 pm

I have enjoyed Aussie hospitality and the food from their cast iron cook pots and yes it is great. eating

I love good food and when Barbara is with me we certainly eat very well home cooking style. When I am alone the food can be more basic. affraid

It is all about needs and wants. Different people have different needs and wants, and long may it continue.

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Jas
Admin
Jas

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Thats some great examples, it looks better than my cooking at home......
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySun Jan 30, 2011 5:26 pm

Still learnin with my Dutch Oven but have been a fan of cast iron for a few years now, for christmas this year I got a new skillet with a handle on each side which should be a bit more compact but fit more on than my last one.

as for food being better when away than at home - absolutely - it's great to have time to be a bit more creative with the cooking
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Cobb Oven   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:38 am

It must be said that we've got a Cobb Stove and although not cheap... it really is the best thing since sliced bread!.. very very efficient (just 5 coals required to warm up the oven, and we've cooked the best meatballs ever on it!

Just another point of view!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:44 am

Great looking food Vixen, even the bread that looks like 'a burnt arse'! Razz

That said, anything would look good up against that footwear. They look like 'Chelsea boots' without the heels (you remember them I'm sure), don't Aussies like laces?
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 2:05 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

That said, anything would look good up against that footwear. They look like 'Chelsea boots' without the heels (you remember them I'm sure), don't Aussies like laces?

Blundstone boots...or blunnies as we call them. The best IMHO....who wants to be fiddling with laces in the middle of the night to go out for whatever you might need to leave bed in the dark for Very Happy Not to mention that laces full of Wonthagi Fleas (a very very small and particularly annoying burr) is not fun. Too many nasties to go barefoot...and not just the biting kind!! We have some wickedly horrible burrs that will go thru soft soled shoes........

You can kick burning embers back into the fire, walk through puddles, walk over burning sand....go anywhere in them and the big plus is they are very very comfortable. When I go bush they go on as soon as I have my clothes on and then rarely come off until bedtime
Back to top Go down
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 8:21 pm

Vixen wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:

Blundstone boots...or blunnies as we call them. The best IMHO....who wants to be fiddling with laces in the middle of the night to go out for whatever you might need to leave bed in the dark for Very Happy Not to mention that laces full of Wonthagi Fleas (a very very small and particularly annoying burr) is not fun. Too many nasties to go barefoot...and not just the biting kind!! We have some wickedly horrible burrs that will go thru soft soled shoes........

You can kick burning embers back into the fire, walk through puddles, walk over burning sand....go anywhere in them and the big plus is they are very very comfortable. When I go bush they go on as soon as I have my clothes on and then rarely come off until bedtime

Would you see if your agent will post to the UK? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Jan 31, 2011 9:04 pm

MrLeadfoot wrote:

Would you see if your agent will post to the UK? Thanks.

I've got a pair of these (yes I kow they are horsey ones but the boot is a good boot - I don't ride horse before anyone starts!) and they have lasted well and are comfy too - the one downside is the sole isn't the most aggressive but it is quite solid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:10 pm

There are many styles of Blundstone boot available with different sole types depending on what you like. Myself personally, I like the 500 series boot which is basically the original style. The sole is flat and hard & will withstand a certain amount of heat.

It looks like the UK agents are in Italy. You'll find a contact email here http://www.blundstone.com/web/home.aspx

They are not a walking boot. They are purely good, strong, sturdy footwear of the type you need in the bush, to protect feet from rocks, smakes, hot sand, burrs etc etc
Back to top Go down
brian1234
Rookie
Rookie

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re:Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 5:11 pm

The cooking of the bread in the oven is nice one.The color of the bread is perfect one.The preparation procedure is nice one and everyone can try it in the home.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cookthepart.com
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptySun Dec 04, 2011 3:41 pm

Well things have taken a different path in my life and I don't have the opportunity to go camping as such these days, so I've discovered a new hobby.....sailing Very Happy Not able to do nights away from home really at the moment but one day, and so I've discovered a new source of information.

Cooking and living aboard a yacht is not all that different to camping in many ways

So......a stove top oven that could be used while camping has come to light from the sailing folk. The Omnia
http://theboatgalley.com/omnia-stove-top-baking-oven/#more-5606

According to a fellow sailor, it cooks a damned good batch of scones or bread buns or even a roast, on a gas cooktop. Perfect for those areas where fires are not allowed (becoming increasingly more common in Australia)

I'm going to suggest the rest of the website is also worth a look. Packing a boat for a sea trip is not all that far removed from packing the 4x4 to go offroad Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 6:55 am

Hi Vix!!! Wouldn't catch me within 100 miles of a sailboat, far too much rockin' and rollin' for my liking. Feel sick just looking at a mill pond on a calm day! You seem to like it, though a roo bar on a boat is going to look mighty daft! tongue
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

You had better come on my boat then Tom, the stabilisers work a treat and you think your'e on solid ground even in a rough sea.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyMon Dec 05, 2011 12:48 pm

Yeah, but your gin palace is like something you'd see moored in Monaco harbour over Grand Prix weekend, Vixen's I'd wager is an everyday yacht. All that pitching, makes me feel queasy even thinking about it. sick
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Bet you don't mind all that pitching and rolling when you're on a promise???????????????????????????????
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking EmptyTue Dec 06, 2011 12:46 pm

Last time i was in Monaco on a GP weekend i stayed in a hotel, David Coulthard is a friend and owns one of the best hotels in Monaco so it was free and i like free.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dutch oven cooking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dutch oven cooking   Dutch oven cooking Empty

Back to top Go down

Dutch oven cooking
Page 1 of 1