4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT

Go down 
+5
Vixen
onlyMark
Assassin
4x4overlander
Jas
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 am

This can be a problem where sudden turbo power hits, and an area in which the Shogun excels as it has a variable vane turbocharger, unlike the generic Mercedes 2.9 engine, while it is insignificant on road it may become more significant in many off roading conditions. Variable vane turbo's are electronically controlled and bring the extra power delivery in very progressively, and with a combination of other electronics such as traction control, ABS, etc; they will work extremely effectively in most conditions. Automatic transmissions come into their own with a turbo diesel as they have a proportion of slip which gives a transmission a buffer against this power surge and negates most of the effects, and to a degree nullifies bad driving as it is forgiving.

What i would suggest is that you get in some sand with another vehicle and try it out, try all the tips like airing down a little, and try the power out at differing levels to see how your vehicle handles, and do it on many different sand types if possible as no two sands are the same.

With a little practice you will become very proficient and fully understand your vehicle in a very short time, and improve your driving skills considerably.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:59 am

I Have actualy done some off roading on beach recently. Nothing to difficult. There was my Hyundai Terracan and a Mates Disco II. Got the hang of airing down tyres, correct speed, gear ratios etc for that area.

I was getting stuck when the disco wasn't. At 1st i thought that it was just because the Disco is designed more to off roading than my truck. I had MT tyres (245/75/16) , the Disco had Light AT tyres in the same size. I have Centre lock 50/50 + Rear LSD, the Disco had Traction Control.

The Following day we went back to the same spot but this time i had Toyo open country at tyres on in 255/70/16. And to my amazement i didnt get stuck once, going over the same routes as the previous day. - So tyre choice was a big factor.

The other thing we noticed ( if you can follow this ) is that The LSD worked better than traction control. Due to one factor. The LSD doesn't slow you down, it send the drive in the rear axle from left to right while keeping at a average speed. The Traction Control was noted to also send drive in the back axle from left to right but the vehicle momentum was slowed due to the traction control using the brakes to control the wheel spin. - Hope this makes sence.!.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:04 pm

Makes perfect sense, and is the main reason i suggested doing some sand driving to gain experience of the vehicle, traction control works predominantly to slow a wheel, axle, or both in combination as this is how it is set up, that is mainly for mud and other slippery terrain which demands slow speed for control. Modern systems need understanding, and clearly you have more understanding of yours as ten identical vehicles will all operate differently due to slight differences between vehicles.

Now you understand exactly how your vehicle operates you will automatically build on this, knowing that traction control applies brakes and reduces engine power is a start, it is a learning process, and even with more years experience then i will admit to, i am still learning.

But thats part of the fun of off roading, you continually learn.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2011 1:12 pm

One thing i do on sand is to switch to manual mode with the box, then build up speed and envine revs to where i want them, i then switch on the cruise control and you can feel the vehicle working to maintain momentum and speed, it is another way of exploiting the electronic systems to your advantage.

Just a thought.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 3:10 am

I love sand driving. Unfortunately I don't get enought.
The first time I was taken into dunes was by Mola Mola in a defender Td5 with the traction control dissabled. The driver reconed that was the best way.
Driving myself I tend to use a high ratio. That's low range.....Sometind CDL in but sometimes out.
The same on gravel roads. Those who use the gravel roads a lot say CDL or front hubs locked gives you better control. I'm yet to be convinced

Yes I drop my tyre pressures. I already run my Defender at a low pressuer 30 front 34 rear, fully laden. I had to drop my pressures in the Ugab dry river bed last year when I stuck. I dropped to 22 all round and drove out. Then left them at that until I hit tar that I knew would last a long time. I must have done a few hundred miles on tar at 39Deg C without any problems.
I drove most of the Namibian gravel roads with reduced pressures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT   Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Driving on sand: Open diff, Traction Control, LSD, Locker, AT or MT
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2