4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Pumba build thread

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 11:14 pm

I spent years figuring out through trial and error what I wanted to do with my 110, 'Tembo.' Now I have my wife's 90 as my next overland project. She has named it 'Pumba' to carry on the Swahili animal theme. So, we have decided to set it up to be an open-top overland truck in its own right, but also designed to work in concert with Tembo when we want to take both on a trip. We figure on two trucks as Jess really loved our last Morocco trip and so did my son on our 2015 trip. So, we need another truck to fit everyone in. Also means we could, in theory, conduct trips on our own and not have to worry about breaking down in some remote area in a single vehicle. The cost of trips will double, but that if that is the price of sharing the trips with family, then I will happily pay it.

So this was the truck as we got it:

Pumba build thread Pre_pu13

200 TDI engine hooked to a smooth LT77
Pumba build thread Pre_pu14

Some truly crapped out competition seats
Pumba build thread Pre_pu15
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptySun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 pm

Next stage was painting. Jess wanted it Camel Trophy 'Sand Glo' with black trim. So tidied up some rough bits, primed and painted it. We also fitted some half doors so we could run it open top and also because the full doors were rotted anyway.

Pumba build thread Pumba_10

Pumba build thread Pumba_11

Pumba build thread Pumba_12
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 6:43 am

Wouldn't catch me operating a wire brush with that amout of clothing - or should I say 'lack of clothing'! Ouch!!

I remember that particular day, it was called UK summer 2017.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 9:28 am

Like the colour, will you have it finished for the HUBB ?
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 5:24 pm

Probably not finished for the HUBB, but definitely AO17. Some of the work to be done:

-Fit a roll bar similar to Tembo's military one
-New exhaust
-New springs and shocks
-Fit a cargo area hinged lid
-Electric rad fan
-Relocate air filter housing
-Fit CB and antenna
-Fit Ipod stereo with waterproof speakers
-Dual batteries and split charge system
-Hi-Lift jack mounted behind seats
-Centre console
-Canvas Seat covers
-Modify pick up cab to disassemble in a couple of minutes

And probably the usual 1000 other little things that need doing.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 5:50 pm

The truck had come a nearly new set of very tall remoulds. But combined with the 2" suspension lift we found made the truck really unstable at speed. So those got sold on Ebay for £100 and I bought 5 Michelin XZLs, which is the tyre Tembo uses. These were stamped 2013, so not too old. But I liked the idea of being able to swop tyres between the two trucks on any long trip. When this set of XZLs wears out I will have to but a new set of shoes for both trucks, which at the moment is 11 tyres in total with spares.

Pumba build thread Pumba_13

The new XZLs on rims

Pumba build thread Pumba_14

We also replaced the crapped out racing seats with a set of Defender seats I bought for £150 off Ebay

Pumba build thread Jess_i10
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 6:05 pm

Obviously, as Tom had noted, the work above took place last summer and was largely cosmetic. The South Northamptonshire Council graciously made a garage available after six months of waiting, so Pumba went into storage over the winter. I have been doing little bits to it over the Long Dark but now that the weather is starting to improve, will pick up again. It is due an MOT soon, so that is the first focus. Someone along the line fitted a side exit exhaust, that exits just behind the passenger door. But whoever did it was an idiot. It starts off with the right sized tubing but then narrows down into an old Series diameter by the time it exits the side. And the whole thing is rusted and falling off. So that is the first job and any other bits for the MOT. I am going to fit a hybrid 200-300 Tdi exhaust. I have plans for the area under the tub, behind the rear axle where a 110 would have its fuel tank and don't see the advantage of having a lot of extra tubing and second silencer fill that space. So will use the standard front half of a 200 Tdi system and mate it to a 300 Tdi exhaust that just parallels the chassis and exits in the back corner. Then finally sort out the rather ragged whole they cut in the quarter panel.

Pumba build thread Side_e10
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Mar 06, 2017 8:24 pm

It's coming along nicely.

Great idea making as much of the two truck interchangeable makes so much sense.

When traveling I take it you're sticking to the ground tent ?

Like I said I love the colour shame my truck had just been resprayed when I bought it given the choice I would have gone for the Camel trophy colour and look.
That said I was contemplating a Camel D1 but all the ones I've seen are V8s which would be my choice if I didn't live here but a diesel just makes so much sense at today's fuel prices.

Keep up the good work I bet Jess is chuffed to bits with it, can't wait to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am

Looking good, especially sensible going for the Michelin boots - good tyres. Is & Er's, will look good on the stand at AO`17! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm

Pumba is off for an MOT Friday, so fingers crossed. But while the wife is away this week, I decided to hook up her stereo and track down a burning wire in the dash. Basically had to pull off all the dash panels to track down the melted wire. That was sorted quickly, but was sad, and not really surprised, to see previous owners had created a rats nest of extra wires for accessories that had come and gone over the years. Lots or bare leads and connectors for who knows what. I have also been chasing gremlins with headlights, rear fog lamps, fuel gauge readings etc.

When I bought Tembo I had similar issues with the old military wiring harness and just pulled the whole mess. Bought a Painless Performance harness in America which is built to better than OEM spec and have never had a single electrical issue since. Now thinking about doing the same with Pumba.

Before I do order an American wiring harness, anyone know a company in the UK that would do a bespoke harness that would be an improvement on the Lucas crap that Land Rover always used?
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 8:47 pm

If you find a UK retailer for the harness I would like the details as my 110 is alive with large birds-nests of wiring. Most of which I have left untouched due to incompetence on my part.

I am taking the 110 off the road later this year to prepare for next years trip and have a new rear cross-member fitted and a few other bits and pieces already fitted a roofrack to accommodate a large 270degree awning for shelter in the Greek and Italian summer months and with the side walls with mozzie net door and window panels should make the nights more comfortable for sleeping 2 overweight bodies trying to sleep in the back of a 110 isn't ideal.

Good luck with the planning of the Algerian trip sounds awesome.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 9:09 pm

Sounds like a good set of mods for the 110. If I track down a good wiring harness outfit I will let you know.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Tembo wrote:
Sounds like a good set of mods for the 110. If I track down a good wiring harness outfit I will let you know.

Cheers James, finally got the proper mattress from the foam guys you recommended 4inch foam with 2inch memory on top really comfortable and no chance of a puncture.
Off in 2 weeks to North West Scotland and the Western Isles then crossing the country to the east coast for a week after for a relax, should give the awning and fridge a workout.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:15 pm

Spent last week tackling the dash. Wanted to install an Ipod/MP3 player stereo (same unit as I have in Tembo) and a CB. I gave Jess some waterproof marine stereo speakers for xmas, so had those already. So, pulled the dash out, replumbed the heater output into some tubing and installed the speakers in the lower dash section. Then fabricated a metal box to hold the stereo and eventually a CB radio without blocking the dash air vents. Also added a map reading light.

Pumba build thread Img_1510

Pumba build thread Img_1511
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:19 pm

I have chosen a TTI TCB-900 CB radio. It is fairly compact in size and will fit in nicely next to the stereo.

Pumba build thread Cbmo-t10
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:29 pm

All looking good James , not sure if we can get to the HUBB, hopefully see you and everyone else at overland show. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:32 pm

No worries...look forward to catching up at the overland show then.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Fitted a 16" electric fan and a temp actuator for 95 on/86 off. Threw away the usual zip tie-style fan mounts and built a u-shaped frame out of 10mm wide by 3mm thick lengths of steel from B&Q. The rad fan is then bolted right to the steel frame which in turn is bolted to the radiator housing. Much more secure than the zip tie style mounts!

Pumba build thread Img_1512Pumba build thread Img_1513
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyMon Apr 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Over next couple of days I will install a new exhaust. I decided to change the exhaust layout though which had the exhaust do a somewhat pointless loop into the space behind the rear axle where a rear fuel tank would go. I may fit a Td5-style rear tank to extend the range or fit a storage box into that space that would extend down from the cargo area.

So I ordered a 200 Tdi front down pipe and the rest from the silencer back is the 300Tdi system that exits at the back corner. I don expect to have any real challenges mating the pieces up but may have to fabricate some mounting points for the hangers.

Once that is all done I will have to repair the sloppy hole cut in the quarter panel where the piece-of-crap side exit exhaust was mounted.

Pics to follow....
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 1:04 am

The dash looks really sound ... if you excuse the pun! Looking good.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyTue Apr 11, 2017 3:07 am

Top job James, looking good. adore
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyWed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 pm

Started fitting the new exhaust system yesterday. The 200 Tdi front down pipe mated just fine with the 300 Tdi silencer. The rear tailpipe section ended up being about 250mm too short. Not bothered as this allows me to insert a flexible section ahead of where the pipe crosses the rear axle. Might come in handy if any extreme axle articulation over rough ground forces contact with the exhaust pipe. I had to fabricate and modify a few hangers, but nothing complicated.

There was definitely a big difference in tube diameter and silencer size between the new and the old. Pumba should breath easier and run much quieter now.

Pumba build thread Img_1514Pumba build thread Img_1515
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Pondering what to do about fuel range...

- I could add a second under seat tank under the passenger side which would give me about 90 liters.
- I could fit a TD5 plastic tank in the rear
- I have looked at bespoke stainless steel baffled tanks that would also fit in the rear which might carry a bit more than the TD5 plastic tank
- I could carry a couple of jerry cans

I haven't decided yet. Have to consider keeping the weight balance right. At the moment the fuel under the driver's seat is counter balanced by the battery under the passenger seat. I would rather not keep full jerry cans in the cargo area next to food and sleeping gear. I did see this idea on Pinterest:

Pumba build thread Unders10

So, suggestions welcome!
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptySun Apr 16, 2017 7:56 pm

Hi James, about the fuel carrying am sure on some series vehicles they had two jerry cans on the front, not sure if that works for you.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 11:54 pm

I remember wheel arches being utilised once upon a time, so just typed Land Rover wheel arch fuel tank into Google. Try it, the photos are enlightening.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pumba build thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Pumba build thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next