4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.

Go down 
+4
Assassin
Tom Mc
Tembo
schaaphs
8 posters
AuthorMessage
schaaphs
Rookie
Rookie

Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. Empty
PostSubject: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 5:17 am

Hello,

My name is Hoite and I´m new on this forum. We are a couple from the Netherlands, living in Spain and we want to go in winter 2015 by Toyota Land cruiser to South Afrika.

Our questions is which land cruiser is advisable. We looked at the Landrover defender first, but because of my length 198cm (6ft,6) the defender is not comfortable enough. So after going through google and reading many travel stories our choice went to a Toyota.

Now everybody will say the Toyota 70 or 80 series, but how bad is the 100, 120 or 200 series. This is something I can't find on the internet. I know the suspension is different and there probably will be more electronic. We are looking at this moment at a 200 series, but I´m wondering how big will the change be the car will brake down in the middle of Africa and what are the consequence.

As well what is the difference in electronics between the different types. When there is electronics in the 120 series a computer is needed anyway to repeat the car?

I hope somebody can help me we this issue.

Ciao Hoite
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 5:37 am

Hello Hoite,

I am sure you will get lots of feedback here...there are a number of members who have run Toyota LCs across Africa who can chip in. For myself, I have driven old FJ40s, 70 series (single cab, 5 door station wagon and troop carrier) and 100 series around Africa for many years. All of them are excellent vehicles and you should have no trouble getting them serviced in most major African towns or cities. The 70 series is by far the toughest of the LC line but harder to find in good shape. Many choose the 100 series and its brethren due to availability and comfort.

The best way to go is find any of the above that is in the best mechanical condition possible and then set it up the way you want it.

I myself prefer the Land Rover...but I am only 6'1"...
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 12:15 pm

Welcome to the forum Hoite.  cheers 

To be honest, I personally don't know a lot about Landcruisers, but do know a couple of guys that do.

Julian Voelcker at www.overland-cruisers.co.uk

and

Andrew St. Pierre White at www.4xforum.com

I would suggest you email both Julian and Andrew stating that Tom McGuigan of 4x4 Overland Travel Forum suggested you contact them, and of course provide a link to your post here - www.4x4overlandtravel.com/t1630-request-advies-which-toyota-land-cruiser-to-buy-for-tour-through-afrika#14326

Both of them are LC experts, so can quickly and easily point you in the right direction.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
schaaphs
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 8:24 pm

Hello Tembo and Tom Mc,

Thanks for your advice. Today I will send an email to overland cruisers and 4xforum. I think this can be really helpful. On the moment we see some interesting 95 series and 120 series. I will let you know the outcome.

Ciao.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 12:34 pm

No problem, hope it helps.  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:34 pm

Tom:

Andy's back residing in the UK now, Lincolnshire.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 12:46 pm

Doh! Sorry mate, which Andy is that?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyMon Apr 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Andrew St. Pierre White
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyTue Apr 22, 2014 10:59 am

Of course! Never heard him called Andy before, always Andrew, so didn't connect the two. Yep, living over here permanently nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 12:20 am

Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. TransAfrica-Flyer

We chose the Land Cruiser 200 for an trip through africa. An good travel comfort, a good security in case of accidents, electronic helpers like ESP, ABS and or Airbags - and a lot of space (sleeping inside with 1.94m) lead us to that car.

I guess the value speak against him, you need much money for the carnet de passage (deposit). To feel relaxed during your journey, you should be able to loose that car without risking your life for it. If you want to handle that, the Land Cruiser 200 till built at 2011 (euro4 spec) would to the job.

Same than any well maintained other Land Cruiser, Prado or Hilux (if you stick to the brand), soon he is not already Euro5.

With less elecronic less can go wrong for shure. But the probability looks small. Other probabilitys like hostage, illness, accidents looks higer to me. To reduce risks is nothing better than stay at home  Laughing 

With any car you can get stuck for a longer time, if your engine blasts at sample.

Look what fit your needs. Not what is better in an apocalyptic szenario where you have to maintain it at your own.

Using Euro5 diesel cars for worldtrips:
http://english.4x4tripping.com/2014/02/using-euro5-diesel-cars-for-worldtrips.html

Carnet de passage:
http://www.4x4tripping.com/2013/04/das-carnet-de-passages-en-douane-cpd.html

If you like to read our travel diary (on a daily base with pictures):
http://transafrica2012.blogspot.com

Surfy
Back to top Go down
RobGT
Rookie
Rookie
RobGT

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 6:51 am

Hi schaaphs,

Why do you think organisations in Africa and Asia like the Red Cross, the UN and Doctors without Borders use mainly the LandCruiser J75/J78. It has hardly any electric parts and if it breaks down, people all over the world can repair that truck, in Africa too.
Olders versions of the J78 had the 4 cylinder, 5 cylinder and 6 cylinder diesel engines. Now they are sold with a 8 cylinder engine (the same as in the J200, so with a lot of electric parts). Maybe you can find a good truck in Gibraltar, I don't know a website. You can find the European trucks without airco and the African/Australian version with airco and extra fuel tank.
I'm 194 cm long and I bought a bucket seat as replacment for the original drivers seat.

We had an extra pop top roof made, with sleeping length of 220 cm

Succes, Rob (from Halifax, Canada)
Back to top Go down
http://www.geocruiser.nl
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:02 pm

Forget all the scare mongering about electronics as most of it stems from a lack of understanding and mistrust of them and most is without any foundation, my Mitsubishi Shogun gets hammered off road and has never had an electronics related issue, the only electrical failure it ever had was a blown glow plug fuse and even in the depths of winter it always started without glow plugs.

Toyota electronics are not as robust as the Shogun but they are still only second to Mitsubishi in electronic related issues which means they are very reliable electronically and most issues arise in the first few months when under warranty.

You can buy an engine scanner cheaply these days, all you need is the SD connector location on the vehicle and you plug it in to read the ECU and find any faults, you can clear them with the scanner and see if they reoccur which means their is a problem with a component and you can sort it out before your trip. During your trip you plug in and scan your engine periodically to see if the ECU has logged any faults before it becomes an issue.
Back to top Go down
schaaphs
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 12:44 am

Thanks Assassin for your advise about the scanner. I don´t know anything about this but I will jump in to it.

As well for Surfy, thanks for your advice and your blog which is full off information. Like you say there are as well many advantage in a modern model and I think with some preparation about the electronic part, slowly I start thinking a newer model could´t be that bad.

Like RobGT says about the J75/J78 serie. I fully agree with what you say, but in my opinion there will be many negative points on a older serie to. Special because a good maintained J75 is hard to find. Has many kilometers already done and missing some luxury/safety points.

Thanks for your reply. All information is welcome.

Ciao Hoite
Back to top Go down
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Apr 26, 2014 1:59 am

Well written, Assassin!   thumbsup 

There are many dongles arround, some of them let you connect from your Smartphone with a Bluetooth or Wifi connection, others use a Simple cable including also a small Display.

For Toyota based car this is the most powerful and at the same tame the cheapest solution:

Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. Minivci-toyota-diagnose-techstream-odb2

http://english.4x4tripping.com/2014/01/toyota-diagnostic-software-odb2-dongle.html

It let you do deeper adjustments inside of the car electronic, it gives you access with an USB Adapter. With an WindowsXP based computer you can connect to, using the Toyota Techstream Software who comes with the dongle. You can also delete Errors, but it can much much more.

Surfy
Back to top Go down
schaaphs
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Toyota 100 serie detailed information   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:25 am

Hello all,

In the last few weeks I spoke with two Toyota experts. The conclusion was that the 120 serie has to much electronic and specially the engine with a 3.0ltr - 164hp is a bit on a small side for a overland tour through Africa.

Possible, but they advise me the 80 or 100 serie. Because we want to use the car as well in Spain before and after our Africa tour and the route we gone choose for Afrika will be maximum around 60% asphalt and 40% offroad, they recommend the 100 serie.

Does any one has experience with the 100 serie and can help me on some more detailed information. Weaknesses of the car, engine, suspensions or electronics. And what is advisable to buy a car with how many miles/kilometers all ready driven.

I understood that the 100 serie is produced between 1998 and 2007. Is there, apart of the exterior a big difference in engine, suspensions or other parts of the Toyota in a specific production year. I heard something of a different gear box. As well what is advisable, manual or automatic.

Looking forward for some help from the experts Smile.

Ciao

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyWed May 14, 2014 11:35 am

Some interesting stuff on Wiki about the 100 series ... although my advice is view Wikipedia with an open mind, as anybody with a grudge can change the description at will. Basically take it as a guide rather than gospel!

Known problems and issues
The 100-series is generally considered a durable and reliable vehicle, however there have been three known issues identified, generally for vehicles operating in harsh conditions:

The IFS 100-series gained a reputation for front suspension failures in operating conditions where the front suspension was prone to hitting the bump stops. Several companies produce strengthened lower wishbones to prevent cracks from developing.

Both IFS 100 and Live-axle 105 models have been reported as suffering from broken front differential centres when driven in harsh conditions. The most common front differential failures in IFS models are reported in vehicles produced between mid-1997 and mid-1999 (i.e. the model years 1998 and 1999), when Toyota fitted the 100 Series IFS with a 2-pinion front differential (the pinion gear would flex away from the ring gear under shock loads). In 1999 (model year 2000) the IFS Landcruiser received a 4-pinion front differential that was more robust — fewer failures were reported.

Source: www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser
Back to top Go down
VikingExplorer
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
VikingExplorer

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptySat Jul 12, 2014 7:02 pm

Not sure if you have bought your vehicle yet, but here are some points from me:

- You mention a percentage driving on and off road. What type of off-road driving will you do? If it is technical in all types of condition you have to factor this in in your vehicle search. Some of the 100-series models do not have all the diff-locks, so select which ones you want when you do your search.
- I don't think the standard suspension will cope if you plan to do lots of off-road and gravel driving. Look into an upgrade to ensure it can take the weight of your vehicle in the conditions you intend to drive through. A separate tip is to keep the weight down as much as you can - you can get all the clothes and kitchen items you need as you travel, and you use less than you think anyway...
- The newer the model the more difficult it may be to find parts in certain areas of Africa. I don't think you'll have a problem down the east side (both Kampala and Kigali proved easy for us to find parts in), but the west is a different story. For newer vehicles you may need to carry more of the spares that could be difficult to find, or be prepared to wait for parts to be shipped.
- The point about the carnet is good, the newer the vehicle the more expensive the carnet.
- We ended up shipping our vehicle from Dakar to Cape Town (check out our blog for the full story) and our 80-series fitted into a standard 20-foot container. If you know you will be shipping your vehicle in the future then look at dimensions. Finding a standard 20-foot is easier and cheaper than having to go into a high-cube 40-foot on your own.
- I learnt a lot about mechanics and electrics as part of our preparation. For the newer vehicles I guess part of the learning includes electronics and engine diagnostics. This is all part of the adventure.

Having said all of the above, I'm sure you'll be fine whatever vehicle you select. Remember that this is your adventure, and you must do what you feel comfortable with. This is your dream - stay true to it.

Good luck. Happy to help if I can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape-blog.net
jamesfuller
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 7:57 am

Electronics are generally very reliable, get blamed a lot but they are good. But, what if it did have a problem! Can you repair it yourself? Can you find someone that can? Having a code reader will in most cases give you a fault code to work with (but some people think you plug in, read the problem and job done) If its not a simple case of clearing the memory, can you get the parts?

A good 80 series or a Patrol 2.8 would be good trucks to use.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.   Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika. Empty

Back to top Go down

Request advies which Toyota Land cruiser to buy for tour through Afrika.
Page 1 of 1