4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

WARNING: Anti-malarial medication

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

WARNING: Anti-malarial medication Empty
PostSubject: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 12:38 am

It appears our Sheelah of the Kapp2Cape trip (being the first major trip of this relatively new forum, we've adopted them as the forum's pioneers) has come to a grinding halt. She and her partner Oyvind are holed up in Senegal as Sheelah attempts to purge her system of the anti-malarial drug Lariam. She has had a really bad reaction to the drug so whilst getting herself well again, she is currently seeking an alternative anti-malarial replacement.

The drug company who manufacture Lariam (Roche) claim that Lariam causes serious psychiatric side effects in only one in 10,000 people, but other dispute that claim vehemently.

Whatever your view on the drug, I'd suggest you do your homework thoroughly before attempting a course.

Has anyone heard of this drug or had any side effects themselves?

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 am

To read Tembo's post in the first aid category.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication EmptyMon Jan 21, 2013 8:02 am

Opps, I missed that Yoda.

Yep, refer to Tembo's informative post in the Health & First Aid section.
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes, most Oil and Gas compaines do not allow you to take Larium. (a few people have jumped off the helideck of an oil rig)

They normally prescribe Malarone. With Malarone, its one pill a day and you start taking it two days before you travel to an infected area and then 1 full week when you arrive back home.

Scott.
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication EmptySat Jun 15, 2013 6:39 pm

Absolutely! Why it is still publically available...and often recommended by doctors I cant understand. I lost a few friends to Larium over the years. Where Malarone, after taking it for years when needed, has no side effects that I am aware of and haven't heard anyone else complain about it either.I sure it is not perfect but definitely a better choice that Larium (mefloquine).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WARNING: Anti-malarial medication   WARNING: Anti-malarial medication Empty

Back to top Go down

WARNING: Anti-malarial medication
Page 1 of 1