4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... Empty
PostSubject: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 3:19 am

Thought I might start this off;

Been out T-cutting the whole car 'cos it was COVERED in scratches. Coming up quite nicely - I've come indoors for a break. I also wet and dried the bonnet - yes - fed up with sun reflecting off it and no money for black vynil.
800 grade wet & dry, washing up liquid, loadsa water, almost no pressure. Follow up with T cut - bingo, a satin bonnet-actually looks better than I expected too.....
WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... P1050800
WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... P1050798
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 5:04 am

What's the point, you're only going to get it scratched again.

Incidentally, do you know of any other Terios off-roaders, there can't be many about?
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 6:24 am

Good question actually Tom....damned if I know! Laughing , no, she was looking very sad for a 3 year old car!

As for other Terios offroaders...... In this country they are almost non-existant. However a couple of weeks I saw a blue one drive past front of my house - it had definitely had the full 7CM lift** and was sporting mud tyres. Mostly though, there are a few of the old style about - they are a surprisingly good truck, almost as good as a Jimny but tougher.

They are mad about them in Greece, Ialy, Russia, Malaysia, Croatia, and there are quite a few in SA.

** 7CM is the max you can go on one of these without major modifications.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:01 am

Why not get some vinyl on it, you can get it printed in all designs and it just bonds on with water, saw a Terios with the carbon fibre bonnet and roof and it looked brilliant, and it is a matt finish.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 11:22 am

Too late, he now has a 'satin finish' bonnet, although the vinyl idea can be good for side panels as you wouldn't have to worry about scratches when laning.

A mate of mine in Austria had a Defender 90 completely covered in yellow vinyl, seemingly it was cheaper than a full respray. Gotta say it looked very good.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Saw a VW coated totally in a sea scene vinyl, half a days work for two men and £450. Like he said, why respray.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 3:53 am

Assassin wrote:
Why not get some vinyl on it, you can get it printed in all designs and it just bonds on with water, saw a Terios with the carbon fibre bonnet and roof and it looked brilliant, and it is a matt finish.

SKINT
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyWed Jun 27, 2012 10:37 am

Good reason for DIY, one of the best in fact. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 am

That is pretty hard core stuff...sanding down a bonnet or a new-ish car! Good effort!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 6:14 am

rustyrhinos wrote:
That is pretty hard core stuff...sanding down a bonnet or a new-ish car! Good effort!

Well I took a leaf from the Terios Club.com's motto ; There is no TRY......I know what they meant anyway!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 pm

I pranged one of our trucks today, track collapsed under the weight of the truck.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 pm

Blimey, must have been a heavy truck to cause this much damage. Wait until the council send you the bill. affraid

WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... Bridge12
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 12:54 pm

About 130 tonnes, and they approved the track for this weight and ground pressure, so they will be getting the bill.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:07 pm

Opps! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 6:24 am

Flippin'Eck!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:03 am

Not too much damage, been inspected today and loaded onto a trailer and taken for repair, mostly superficial damage.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptySat Jul 14, 2012 12:29 pm

The day began with our truck repaired by the main dealer and one of the Contracts managers was passing, so he dropped me off to collect it, it was 6.50am and they open at 7.00am.
The first employees arrived and I announced myself, they said the truck was ready and it only required the front number plate attaching, as it was parked in their compound they leave them off for security reasons, until the truck is collected. Apparently they have had several thefts of number plates among other things such as diesel despite a security fence, barbed wire, and security cameras.
AS the truck was fired up and bought into the workshop, one of the young lads went to the stores and got the security fixings they now use for attaching number plates and fitted it, I had barely finished my coffee before they shouted me. As I left I hit a dual carriageway and a Police traffic car passed me, once he passed he slowed and I thought he must be attending an incident and passed him, then the blue lights and sirens; as I stopped they began quizzing me about the truck and proceeded to do the cursory checks on the truck. They asked what make it was, obviously I told them it was a Scania, and a custom built heavy haul tractor unit, they sais not a Volvo then, I asked why they asked such a question when it has Scania emblazoned across the front in large chrome letters, then they hit me with it.

Why is your tractor unit carrying the correct rear number plates for the vehicle, and a number plate on the front belonging to a Volvo which has been written off; I was nearly lost for words, and walked round to check the number plate for myself, sure enough it was off another vehicle. I explained I had just collected it and they had just fitted the number plate as they leave them off due to several thefts. After a discussion we decided it was best to return to the dealers as we were less than two miles away and they could rectify the problem, so we did.

Their service manager was totally embarrased when we explained they had fitted the wrong number plate to the vehicle, and all hell broke loose, it appeared the young lad who fitted the plate had picked one up from the written off vehicles they stored, and removed the number plates from, instead of mine. He was half asleep and had not checked the job sheet and verified the chassis number against the registration number either manually, or on the computer. At this the Police were satisfied and said they wouldn't report this to the boss of my company, they were embarrased when I told them I was the boss and the company owner.

After about 1 hour they had managed to remove the security fixings and totally destroyed the number plate, and scratched the newly painted panel which means they now have to repaint it at their expense, but they fitted the correct number plate to the truck.

Incidentally Tom, the council now have a bill for £11,470 for damage repairs and they have agreed to pay.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 6:18 am

"One of those days" eh!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 6:26 am

Yes, but easily resolved.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptySun Jul 15, 2012 10:32 am

Blue lights in the morning, just what you don't need.

Still, that and the council sorted, just the re-painted panel to be re-painted. Phew, what a saga!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... EmptyMon Jul 16, 2012 11:57 am

And at such a busy time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......   WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY....... Empty

Back to top Go down

WHAT I DID TO MY TRUCK TODAY.......
Page 1 of 1