4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Camping Stoves

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:31 am

Basic Necessities when camping. Water, Shelter, Food. With one of these, cheap but useful stoves you can boil all your water can cook up some grub to keep you going. £10-£19
Camping Stoves Campin10
There are many of generic types like this, butane bottles are cheap and easy to come by. These common types of stoves come with a tried and tested safety feature with the bottles and ignition. Ive used the same unit for years with no fuss.

Next you have the bigger, more durable colman style stove, these are more expensive, can heat water and food quicker and generally are of higher quality. £20-£110
Camping Stoves Campin11
There are many types of Colman stoves, different gas bottle sizes, larger and smaller emitters, more adjustable gas flow.

Next up are the doubles. Like the Colman range and some other bigger brands these are useful when there are more than one person or your cooking different foods. £40-£300.

For all they are worth I have always bought and used the cheap generic gas stoves for around £15. The bottles are largely available and cheap to buy.

When buying your stove from new, give it a visual inspection before use. Every butane or gas bottle you use also give it a visual inspection to make sure there a no defects that could hamper the stoves use or cause harm to yourself or others.

Avoid cheap, brand-less, label-less butane bottles commonly offered on eBay. You should be looking to pay £1 per bottle. If you can buy 40 cans for £5 I would be hesitant to buy.

TJ

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:12 am

Robust and reliable - with a grill for toast - I use one of these with a 'dumpy' gas bottle ...

Camping Stoves Stove110

Around the £35/£40 mark, although there are cheaper versions for £30. Also just noticed you can get legs for it as well ...

Camping Stoves Stove210

Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:31 am

I have had several of these over the years but I have found they are very slow and 2 of them have leaked.
Camping Stoves Cheapo10
I then changed to one of these, which worked really well but took up too much space in the car and filling the gas bottle is very expensive round here
Camping Stoves 2burn10
I now have 2 of these and I think they are brilliant. Quick,easy,lightweight and if you shop around the canisters are really cheap too.
Camping Stoves Twiste10
But it really a case of "each to their own" as we all have differing requirements.

Last edited by maadmaan10 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:33 pm

Personally i prefer the petrol stoves because fuel is freely and cheaply available, they are much hotter and with much more controllable heat, and mine is over 60 years old and needs nothing more than an annual clean to keep the nozzles clear.

Must admit it did need its seals replacing when it was 46 years old, but its still going strong and is great for defrosting the car, put in the back and light.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Assassin wrote:
Must admit it did need its seals replacing when it was 46 years old, but its still going strong and is great for defrosting the car, put in the back and light.
Mmmmm, had the same problem with 'er indoors! Rolling Eyes

maadmaan10 - See the top section of the forum: How to register, post photos, rules & regs, do’s & don’ts, etc. Like most things, it's easy once you know how. Written in idiot-proof terms (I know, I wrote it), simply follow the instructions, it really very easy ... once you know how!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:16 pm

Tom, i shall refrain from commenting.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 9:01 am

"maadmaan10 - See the top section of the forum: How to register, post photos, rules & regs, do’s & don’ts, etc. Like most things, it's easy once you know how. Written in idiot-proof terms (I know, I wrote it), simply follow the instructions, it really very easy ... once you know how!"

Okay, got it now, bit fiddly though Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptySat Feb 11, 2012 12:46 pm

maadmaan10 wrote:
Okay, got it now, bit fiddly though Embarassed
Congrats! You will get quicker at it ... promise! Know whatyou mean, I'm sure there's a better way, only being a virtual technophobe I found the method described and stuck with it. What can I say, it works for me?! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 7:44 am

I don't know assassin if you have to change the seals every 46 year on the coleman I may not buy one after all  Very Happy

Seriously I was converted to the coleman stoves on our Moroccan excursion.
the fuel is all ways available where ever you buy your fuel, unlike the limited range of gas when in different countries.

my only decision is do I buy the double burner or 2 of the small single burners then if I have a problem with one at least I still have another incase of breakdowns or problems.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves EmptyThu Jan 30, 2014 11:59 am

I would suggest a double and a single.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Camping Stoves Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camping Stoves   Camping Stoves Empty

Back to top Go down