4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Odyssey battery PC1230 Review

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Odyssey battery PC1230 Review Empty
PostSubject: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:37 am

I have used an Odyssey battery PC1230 In my Hyundai Terracan since June 2007 running the vehicle in all weather conditions and also a host of electronic equipment and accessories. (Standard Terracan Auto - 150amp alternator).

The PC1230 is designed as a direct fitment in original equipment applications for class 75 / 86 batteries. Manufactured with both SAE top terminals and 3/8" x 16 female receptacle side terminals. Measuring 240mm Long, 178mm Wide and 201mm High, weighing 20KG and manufactured with dual post connectors.
The PC1230 provides a vehicle with 12 Volts and 55 amps in normal running with 700 Cranking amps and 150 reserves.

In My opinion for the £220 I paid in 2007 this battery has been great. Along with all the usual stereo, climate control and electric windows the Battery consistently runs an additional pair of day time running lights, 1X pair of Piaa 520 SMR's, 1x pair of reversing lamps, 1x CB radio including additional speaker, 1x Garmin eTrex, 1x Garmin NuvI and a Mobile phone cradle & charger.

So far I have not yet had to charge the battery.

This is the baby of the range but its not a bank breaker, its small size enables it to be fitted in to small compact cars, I even put one in my friends Suzuki Swift car. Excellent cold cranking abilities, last year It started the Terry in -15 several times.
Odyssey battery PC1230 Review Odysse10
For the money it is great, as you can probable see from the picture the cradle for the original Hyundai Battery can accommodate alot bigger battery than the PC1230 but at the moment it really does not need it.

TJ

Last edited by Terracan Jas on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 1:01 pm

Have to say, the amount I have spent on 'cheap' batteries over the years is terrifying. Only once have I spent decent money on a 'proper' battery - an Optima Red Top. Should never have sold it with the vehicle, bad move. doh

Never heard a bad word said about Odyssey batteries, so yet another thing to go on my shopping list.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Have to admit i am not a great lover of these batteries as many quality battery manufacture equivilent items for much less money, over the years i have found Exide, Fulmen, Bosch, and many more battery brands to be as good or better.

My opinion is that many buy for the brand name and not solely for the battery performance, and in most cases i found this to be the case after speaking to buyers.

One of my favourites was Oldham batteries which always served me well, they never wanted anything other than a little drink of distilled water every year and powered everything asked of them, even winches above their rating, and even when severely discharged they would simply recharge without damage, unlike many other brands which would be scrap.

One thing to bear in mind is many manufacturers use generic battery internals, and they come in a range of applications, so selecting the correct application is crucial; a leisure battery is designed for long periods of low current discharge and will stand deep discharges, ordinary car batteries are designed for short bursts of high load applications such as vehicle starting. Leisure batteries should not be used for starting a vehicle as this would damage them, and vehicle batteries should not be used as leisure batteries because they cannot stand deep discharges without damage.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:03 am

Assassin wrote:
My opinion is that many buy for the brand name and not solely for the battery performance, and in most cases i found this to be the case after speaking to buyers.
I'll readily admit to falling into this category, simply because my knowledge of electrics is next to useless. If I hear enough times that Odyssey or Optima are good, that's what I will go for.

In most situations it tends to work well, for if a company's product or service is poor, the word spreads rapidly - especially in these days of emails, forums and messageboards. The old adage "there's no smoke with fire" works most of the time for bad things, but of course one can end up paying over the odds for products (such as car batteries) which are simply 'flavour of the month' and the others which can better value-for-money get ignored. Such is life.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 5:42 am

Tom, if you have a limited knowledge you can always ask for advice, this is free, i only charge for sexual favours these days.

On a serious note, many do buy because of a brand name and this does not necessarily mean a product is bad, often they are very good with consistent quality standards, but i prefer not to use an automotive battery, i prefer a traction battery as this delivers massive sustained power outputs, and will not be damaged by high discharge rates. Not many people realise this, but hopefully more do now. They do take a little searching out but it is worth looking for one as they are available cheaply when compared to names such as Optima or Odyssey and are much higher rated in all areas.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:46 am

Is this what you mean by "traction batteries"? www.powercell.co.uk/products/traction-batteries.aspx
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:30 pm

Yes.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 4:17 am

That looks heavy
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 am

They are heavier than a car battery because they're more robustly constructed with much heavier plates to withstand almost any amount of abuse from use and charging, but come in a range of shapes and styles so they can accommodate being used in odd shaped spaces.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odyssey battery PC1230 Review   Odyssey battery PC1230 Review Empty

Back to top Go down

Odyssey battery PC1230 Review
Page 1 of 1