4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012

Go down 
+19
ExPo
kevinf
GirlChild
freespirit4x4
maadmaan10
shubhra1
rustyrhinos
roamingman
Hillbilly Raider
4x4zone
loncbt
tuggy
tonyg
Mac
wideformat4x4
Jas
mugwump
lou1661
Tom Mc
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 pm

Thanks for the offer of the website advice, I may well take you up on your offer. I have sent you an email about printing. As you say, see you at Stafford.
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 2:17 am

Havent replied to you on this yet as dont know wether we'll be in the country yet , however looking at the attendance list looks like you have plenty of experts already Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 1:01 pm

Hillbilly Raider wrote:
Havent replied to you on this yet as dont know wether we'll be in the country yet , however looking at the attendance list looks like you have plenty of experts already Wink
lol!

Well well, the happy wanderers return ... long time no see! How's tricks? Trust you're both well. Shame that David Round's show at Warwick won't be happening this year. Tried my hardest to persuade him, but to no avail. Basically he left it too late making the final decision whether to go for it or not, by which time the magazine copy deadlines had passed. Disappointing as it could only have got bigger and better. No

As you can see, I haven't been backward at coming forward. Despite saying I'd never run another big event, I have decided to get back into the show scene again with something very different. I wasn't about to run yet another boring Land Rover show, far too many of those as it is in my opinion, but to look beyond the usual off-road scene. I love travel and 4x4's, so decided to hold an event which reflects my passion for both - hence ADVENTURE OVERLAND was born. Add in other interesting stuff like bushcraft, bikes, etc. and I reckon it has the ingredients for a cracking show. Time will tell as they say. Only really launched it on 1st January (officially it was Boxing Day, but you can't count the Christmas holiday as no traders were about until the New Year), as you can see the response has been incredible with a fair few traders, clubs and attractions booked already. My only concern is space as it's filling rapidly. A 'nice headache', but a headache nevertheless. Yes I can open up new areas, but I don't want to run before I can walk, want to do it properly from the off.

Hope you can make it, won't be the same without you!!! cuddles Ahhhhhhh, pass the bucket!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 am

Display vehicles for the show now starting to book ... and they're good un's! Have placed the first couple on the event website:-

www.adventureoverlandshow.com/#/vehicle-display/4557708236

Again, if you know of anyone ...

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 am

Another Iveco 4x4 camper just booked in today. Although currently in South America, the vehicle its lucky owners (been travelling since 2004) should be back in the UK by the summer.

ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 Philan10

Bet they'll have some 'campfire stories' to tell. cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:08 am

It's building! More traders have now booked, plus just heard the Land Rover 101FC Club want a Club Display Stand (love the 101's, so versatile). Also one of the 101FC members is converting a Bedford TL into an expedition vehicle, and he'll be there too.

Looking good! clapping
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 am

Please leave a place for me Tom will definatly have a motor just trying to get a deal with one here in Sunny Scotland, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:33 am

No problem. Perhaps 'er indoors and she-who-must-be-obeyed could help out in the office together for some of the time? Talk about it when we see each other next.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 1:38 am

just spoke to SWMBO, she would like to know the pay, Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 2:06 am

Any good?ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 Lg-tub10

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 3:46 am

Yes perfect, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:30 pm

Hi Tom. I hope you are doing well. This looks interesting to me. I might be able to get the Rusty Rhinos team on board - i.e my Series landie and the beast RRC V8 and perhaps the home brewed expedition trailer - how does that sound or is that not "interesting" enough for display vehicles?

The website - I have to say it is not the prettiest I have seen...but it is to the point and has loads of info - that is how things should be to be honest. I think perhaps that an online booking form would be a good thing though?

Regards,

Alex
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:31 pm

p.s I really do hope this goes well.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 12:47 pm

Not the prettiest true, but I wanted it to be basic and to the point (like you say) ... without the buttons and bells.

To me they distract from the fundamental concept of the event - it's not a show in the sense it will have a central arena with duck-herding and the like, it's more of a gathering of enthusiasts, a 'get-together of like-minded individuals' if you will. We'll provide our own entertainment by seeking out other folk's campers and picking their brains about what heating system they have on board, where they fitted their water tanks, where they've been, where they are intending to venture, etc.

Yes it'll be good to see you there. I've allocated an area for this forum, so it'll be nice to have a gathering of our own. It seems there will be a few of us from on here, so your additions will be welcome. I'll PM you in due course with more info, but for now just make certain you're available over that first weekend in October. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu May 03, 2012 2:30 pm

Sounds good to me Smile

Back to top Go down
shubhra1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: ADVENTURE OVERLAND   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 10:13 pm

Hi,

wow! this is interesting.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 4:05 am

Any excuse for a party! clapping
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:48 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Any excuse for a party! clapping

you don't need a excuse Tom, cheers1
Back to top Go down
shubhra1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Hi,
wow! its interesting. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:33 am

BREAKING NEWS ...

I have introduced a new feature at the show. As you already know, ADVENTURE OVERLAND is not your usual run-of-the-mill event. It purposely does not have a Central Arena with stunt display teams, car-crushing or duck-herding, instead it focuses solely on “adventure travel and related activities” as its core objective. To this end, I have now added something rather special, something I believe that like the show itself is new and therefore unique to the UK show scene … free seminar sessions featuring talks and lectures.

“Hold on!” I can hear you say, “other shows feature seminars as part of their attractions”. Well yes, but 99% of the time they are always hosted by professionals in the field of travel. What I intend doing is to present to the public not only key figures in the overland scene (i.e. renowned names such as travel writer Chris Scott of Sahara Overland fame and adventure tours biker Austin Vince), but also amateur enthusiasts who have truly ‘been there and got the T-shirt’. Folk like Peter & Eileen Crichton, a British couple who have driven around the world the equivalent of four times in Land Rovers (that’s roughly 200,000 miles!!!) right the way though to our own Sheelah Turner (South African) & Oyvind Helgerud (Norwegian) - Sheelah's username on this forum is African GirlChild - who in their Toyota Land Cruiser are about to embark on their dream journey entitled "Kapp 2 Cape" – an epic journey from the most northerly point on the European mainland - Nordkapp in Norway - all the way down to Cape Agulhas in South Africa, the southern-most tip of Africa.

Whether it be relating tales of ‘daring do’ gained from years of overland travel or simply knowledge acquired whilst preparing for a ‘trip of a lifetime’ as in Sheelah & Oyvind's case (essential paperwork such as visas, vehicle prep, first aid, etc.) these and other amateur enthusiasts will be passing on their hard-won wisdom so that others following in their tyre-tracks can benefit from their experiences.

… and the name of this innovative attraction? The “Been There, Done It” Seminar Sessions … what else?

Incidentally, in case you didn't know by now, the start line for "Kapp 2 Cape" will be from the showground of ADVENTURE OVERLAND at midday on Sunday 7th October 2012.

Those presenting seminars so far:-

CHRIS SCOTT (professional)
Author of “Sahara Overland”, the overlander’s bible of desert travel, plus a host of adventure travel books on two wheels (motorcycles), four wheels (4x4) and even four legs (camels!) Chris also runs desert tours, so is more than qualified to talk about overland routes in Africa, Asia and Latin America pitched at cars and bikes … and maybe even camels! www.overlanders-handbook.com

AUSTIN VINCE (professional)
An avid overland bike enthusiast, Austin runs team-building adventure motorcycling courses in the Pyrenees, is Organiser of the Adventure Travel Film Festival in the UK, Australia and U.S.A., a public speaker, and squeezed in between he promotes and encourages folk to embark on low budget DIY adventures. Any subject he covers will be fascinating. www.austinvince.com

PETER & EILEEN CRICHTON (amateurs)
Peter & Eileen have to be unique, as this British couple have driven around the world the equivalent of four times in their trusty Land Rovers - that’s roughly 200,000 miles!!! Not only will their talks be of great interest, but the Q & A sessions revealing. Just think, folk can ask them about virtually any country on the planet, for they have probably visited it at some point on their travels! No website

SHEELAH TURNER & OYVIND HELGERUD (amateurs)
Although yet to embark on their great adventure entitled "Kapp 2 Cape", an epic journey which is explained below, they have much to tell. How exactly do you prepare for such a journey? It certainly isn’t easy, Sheelah (South African) & Oyvind (Norwegian) will explain all regarding vehicle choice, purchase and preparation, right though to the nightmare known simply as “paperwork” – acquisition of visas, dealing with government bodies such as the Foreign Office and DVLA, etc. www.kapp2cape.com

There will be more, watch this space! cheers

Last edited by Tom Mc on Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:38 am

FLIPPIN' EXCELLENT TOM!!! clapping thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:44 am

Cheers mate - getting there.

More interesting stuff to come I assure you, only the next anouncement will be very different indeed. It's an activity we can all join in, something I would imagine that most of us have never done before. Intrigued? So you should be! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 7:45 am

Well done that man, keep up the good work Tom, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:03 am

As it happens, indirectly we have you to thank for this one, because I believe I'm right in saying that it was you who first mentioned the names Peter & Eileen Crichton on here. This got me thinking, wouldn't it be great to get Peter & Eileen to ADVENTURE OVERLAND so they could tell visitors about their experiences - they must have a host of brilliant stories to relate.

Next thing is, because of their unforeseen delay, I'm suggesting to Sheelah that they make ADVENTURE OVERLAND the start of their "Kapp 2 Cape" adventure. No sooner was the answer yes, she offered to give some sort of talk about "a woman's perspective about attempting an overland trip". This then sparked me into life (I need a good kick up the rear end at times) for I suddenly realised I had two excellent subjects that could be covered by amateurs, something virtually unheard of at major shows. Add some influential professionals into the mix and bang, you have the makings of a fantastic new attraction.

Well done Yoda, well done GirlChild ... take a bow! clapping
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 4:43 pm

This is going to be awesome Tom!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012   ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

ADVENTURE OVERLAND SHOW: 6-7 October 2012
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next