4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt Empty
PostSubject: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 am

I had the misfortune of having a brake caliper bolt snap on my Disco.

I have managed to drill it out and re threaded the hole with 7/16th tap.

Now the replacement bolt is somewhat loose in the threads when screwed in by hand.

Any suggestions as to what I can do now to make sure the bolt has decent purchase, or do I go to a larger diameter bolt?

If so what size?

I am sure someone else has had this misfortune.

Cheers,

George.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:20 am

Well i would try to get bolt same diamater as the hole you drilled, you don't say how loose, if it is not to bad use locktight. clinking teacups

ps some one else will be along to give some more info, cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:32 am

What year Discovery George.
There's two different sizes. 7/17" for the early ones and 12mm for the later ones.
Back to top Go down
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 3:43 am

gemini wrote:
What year Discovery George.
There's two different sizes. 7/17" for the early ones and 12mm for the later ones.

It is an early 93 model.

According to Microcat, it is a 7/16 or an M12

When I said the bolt was loose when screwed in, it is not a tight fit like normal. There is quite a bit of play from side to side.

I have put it in coated with locktite in the meantime and did not tighten it to the torque value, but it is pretty tight.

Have to get my wife to work and back. £6-50 each way is ridiculous for a trip of just over a mile.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:04 am

The 7/16 bolt has a normal bolt head.
The 12mm bolt has a 13mm 12 hex spanner size.
The M12 bolt has a very fine thread 1.25mm pitch IIRC

Now you shouldn't be able to fit the 7/16 bolt into the 12mm bolt hole because the bolt head won't clear inside the calliper.

AFAIK the callipers changed at the 200Tdi to the 300Tdi HOWEVER who's to say what Land Rover used because I know of 200Tdi Defenders that have the later axle fitted at the factory.
Back to top Go down
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am

Thanks for all the info so far. It is the normal bolt head, not the hex one.

Maybe what I am asking in a very round about way, is what size up should I look at to retap and make sure the bolt is as secure as it should be.

Been a long frustrating day and the mind is not where it should be Laughing
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 4:49 am

George.I think you've done the job as best you can. Is tyhe bolt shank a fairly tight fot in the calliper. If yes then I would leave it.

The only other thing you could do in the intrests of safety, is to drill the bolt heads and lock wire them to each other.

HTH

mike
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:46 am

if your happy with the fix then check it daily till your satisfied its not coming out,,,other wise get a second hand hub and change it,,,better to be safe than sorry,,,think safety,,,there brakes,,,it aint worth relying on locktite,,,, doh thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:22 am

tuggy wrote:
other wise get a second hand hub and change it,,,better to be safe than sorry,,,think safety,,,there brakes,,,it aint worth relying on locktite,,,, doh thumbsup

Better to be safe than sorry - well, that is exactly the reason I have been seeking advice here Smile

I was under the impression that the caliper mounting point was part of the rear axle casing, or am I wrong?
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:09 pm

No I don't think so. IIRC, I haven't done one, the axle end stubs are changable. That's one way to convert to rear discs.

Actually the bolt should screw in by hand as both the bolt and the hole have clean threads. The problem lies if the bolt is slack in the calliper and in the threads. There's really a huge difference between a 7/16 bolt diameter and 12mm.

Just looked at your sig. Is the rest of the axles imperial ?
mike
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 6:11 pm

Gandalf wrote:
tuggy wrote:
other wise get a second hand hub and change it,,,better to be safe than sorry,,,think safety,,,there brakes,,,it aint worth relying on locktite,,,, doh thumbsup

Better to be safe than sorry - well, that is exactly the reason I have been seeking advice here Smile

I was under the impression that the caliper mounting point was part of the rear axle casing, or am I wrong?

yes your correct i thought it was on the front, sorry diddnt pick up it was on the back ,,,,and again just keep checking make sure it dosent come loose,,,,, stupid
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 pm

I too was under the impression it was the front....
Back to top Go down
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 7:38 pm

I now realise that I did not say it was one of the rear calipers I was having problems with, sorry about that.

Quote :
Actually the bolt should screw in by hand as both the bolt and the hole have clean threads. The problem lies if the bolt is slack in the calliper and in the threads. There's really a huge difference between a 7/16 bolt diameter and 12mm.

Just looked at your sig. Is the rest of the axles imperial ?

That may very well be the reason the bolt feels loose in the threads, why can't they just use one type of bolt, instead of mixing metric and imperial Rolling Eyes

I will have to get some replacement bolts and replace them all, once I have figured out exactly what the bolts are.

I used a 5/8th socket (if I remember correctly), as it felt as if it had a better fit to the bolt head and I guess this is why I assumed it was an imperial size.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:04 pm

AFAIK
There's two rear callipers. I could be wrong.
One with the flatsprings and two split pins that hold the pads in place. Thse ones wear and allow a pad to fall out, also one of the splitpin holes in the calliper can break off !! These pads were fitted into the Original Range Rover

The other is the "square" pad with the holding pins through the pad.

Now again AFAIK the first is imperial and the second metric

Secondly. The metric bolts are 12mm x 1.25mm. These bolts have a 13mm 12point hex head and can only be undone with a 12 hex socket or spanner. The bolts are dealer only and when new have a locking compound on the threads. Then again AFAIK the imperial bolt will not fit into the metric calliper because of the head size.

So George. Which pads do you have fitted
Back to top Go down
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 8:21 pm

gemini wrote:
AFAIK

One with the flatsprings and two split pins that hold the pads in place. Thse ones wear and allow a pad to fall out, also one of the splitpin holes in the calliper can break off !! These pads were fitted into the Original Range Rover

Mine have the above, flatsprings with split pins above the brake pads.

The bolt is not a hex head, it is a "normal" bolt that fits snugly in a 5/8ths socket.

So, it would appear that the bolts are in fact the 7/16ths imperial bolt.

Having grown up in SA and schooled in metric, I am not knowledgeable in imperial thread sizes and types.

I have a set of taps and dies that my wife had in her things and found a tap with the following on it:

7/16 - 20NF

This is the one that I used to tap the hole.

Did I use the incorrect tap?

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 9:18 pm

Nope. You have Imperial fittings. Check the drive shaft bolts. I think you'll find them to be Imperial as well.

I don't know when the change was made from Imperial to metric. Is your other Discovery Imperiaql as well ?

mike
Back to top Go down
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt EmptyThu Jun 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Yep, it is a slightly later 93 model, bolts on the calipers are the same.

What is the difference between AF and NF?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt   Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt Empty

Back to top Go down

Snapped Brake Caliper Bolt
Page 1 of 1