4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

So where would you go if you had 6 months off?

Go down 
+8
Sprayman
Chris S
Assassin
TJ101
roamingman
Jas
Vixen
horacebat
12 posters
AuthorMessage
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

So where would you go if you had 6 months off? Empty
PostSubject: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Im having 6 months off ... Selling the house and putting my feet up for a bit ... Where would you go if you had 6 months? The wife suggests a few smaller trips rather than one large trip.

Answers on a post card please!
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:48 pm

horacebat wrote:
Im having 6 months off ... Selling the house and putting my feet up for a bit ... Where would you go if you had 6 months? The wife suggests a few smaller trips rather than one large trip.

Answers on a post card please!

Myself personally would possibly go to England (if I could afford it) but seeing as you are in England, then I'd suggest you come here to Australia Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 1:30 am

6 months off.

Drive: London to Moscow
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 6:52 am

Not sure if we could get to Bejing and back in 6 months, and relly enjoy the trip. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
TJ101
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 9:29 am

Drive the Bam road Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 1:34 pm

Just take off, no plans or directions, if you end up near the sea then cross it on a ferry and go to the nearest country and continue with the journey. You never know where you will end up, who you will meet, and what you will learn along the way.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 8:27 pm

Assassin wrote:
Just take off, no plans or directions, if you end up near the sea then cross it on a ferry and go to the nearest country and continue with the journey. You never know where you will end up, who you will meet, and what you will learn along the way.

I like that plan, no destination so if you you don't make it not disapionted. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 9:14 pm

I'd load the 90 into a container and send it off to Eastern Canada or US somewhere and work through US and up through canada eventually ending up in Alaska - no route planned other than that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Sprayman
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 1:43 am

I would drive down to Dover,ferry to tother side.
Lazily cruise down to Gibralter,via side roads.
Ferry to Morocco,steady away across the North African countries.
Plenty of sites to see,especially Leptus Magna in Libya.
Then reverse journey home.
Back to top Go down
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: thanks !!   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 11:54 pm

well some interesting ideas here!...

im going to Toronto to paddle the algonquin park in september, so may just stay for a bit longer and do a bit of a road trip with the mrs! i think 4000 miles down to San Fransciso could be quite fun for a month... not exactly overlanding i know but still quite an adventure!

I wont be a million miles (well about 5 !!) from Dover, so the thuoght of driving down to spain and across to morocco sounds like a good plan too ...

whats the BAM road??

Back to top Go down
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: ps   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 11:55 pm

Aus and NZ are also on the list for 2012 too!
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 am

horacebat wrote:
.. not exactly overlanding i know but still quite an adventure!

An interesting concept - why do you feel that a road based trip isn't overlanding? I'm not being critical, I'm interested to see what people think of when they think of "overlanding" thumbsup
Back to top Go down
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: So what's the difference between a Road Trip and Overlanding !   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 4:19 am

Hmmm ... got me thinking now Chris!, I guess most peoples view of Overlanding is Landrover/cruiser/Unimog/Iveco (or any other big truck with a snorkel!), heading off into the wilderness with very little support. Very dusty roads and minimal infrastructure!

Whereas a road trip is hire a car for a month, and travel across the country and stay on tarmac and god forbit using something that had 4wd!.

That said if you look at the term "Over" and "Land" it could be anything that you literarly do in a car!! (or on the road!)

What does anyone else think?

Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyMon Feb 14, 2011 4:39 am

horacebat wrote:
Hmmm ... got me thinking now Chris!, I guess most peoples view of Overlanding is Landrover/cruiser/Unimog/Iveco (or any other big truck with a snorkel!), heading off into the wilderness with very little support. Very dusty roads and minimal infrastructure!

Whereas a road trip is hire a car for a month, and travel across the country and stay on tarmac and god forbit using something that had 4wd!.

That said if you look at the term "Over" and "Land" it could be anything that you literarly do in a car!! (or on the road!)

What does anyone else think?

So as not to hi-jack you're thread I've started a fresh one on this - I think it'll be quite good thumbsup I do think a lot of people think that to be an "overlander" you need to be all blinged up - especially after having a wander round the show today cheers1
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySun Mar 13, 2011 10:41 pm

Assuming I had the money as well as time, I would go round the world.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Hillbilly Raider

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 6:45 am

Chris, you know my views on that Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptyMon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 pm

rustyrhinos wrote:
Assuming I had the money as well as time, I would go round the world.
Can't argue with that, it has to be the ultimate.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:11 am

We were perfectly happy where we went on our last six month trip. Oh for the money to go back

Southern Africa

mike
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So where would you go if you had 6 months off?   So where would you go if you had 6 months off? Empty

Back to top Go down

So where would you go if you had 6 months off?
Page 1 of 1