4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Engine ovens

Go down 
+2
Assassin
Tom Mc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 pm

No, I've not gone completely mad, and it isn't April yet. Every so often the subject of 'engine ovens' crops up - that is a metal box near the manifold that will quite literally cook a stew on the move. Over a short period it'll easily heat up your pasties or sausage rolls.

Surely this is something that would be of great use to overlanders. Anyone encounter an 'engine oven' before?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 12:16 pm

Not seen a commercially manufactured one, but have built a few over the years for cooking, and other similar items for heating rear heaters, screen washer bottles, and even for site water showers.

The problem was always excess heat locally, it often meant something was burned on one side and not on the other,
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 1:55 am

thats because its soo easy to do and with every differant meal you have a differant set up, i quite often strap a tin of chilli to the under side of the turbo on my 200TDI put a small hole in the lid and drive for 2 hours,
ive seen a series 3 with a 200tdi fitted with a specially built drop tray in the bit of metal under the centre set with enough room to drop in two tins of what ever

i have wrapped a steak in tin foil and strapped it there, didn't go so well Laughing

important to check no exhaust leaks near your food Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
Gandalf
Rookie
Rookie

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 2:41 am

This from the Expedition Portal may interest you.

Seems to be a very popular thing in the US.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:49 am

Quote :
thats because its soo easy to do and with every different meal you have a different set up

prooved wrong Very Happy doh

it must be difficult to have "one fits all" as all are different

the most common one i hear about is using wire mesh to hold tin foil bags in place

i think the most ideal thing would be to convert to a steam engine then you could pour water from your engine into a cuppa tea clinking teacups
now that would be nice
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:18 am

A steam engine with cold water???
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 5:28 am

who puts cold water in to tea?
Back to top Go down
RichardAllen
Rookie
Rookie

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Stainless Vacuum Flask Idea   Engine ovens EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 2:48 am

My Defender 300TDi does not have much space for an oven and the exhaust manifold is under the inlet manifold so there is not much room anyway.

A while ago I toyed with the idea of modifying a large vacuum flask, by using the vacuum part as a hot wtaer jacket. This would be done by welding a couple of stub pipes to the outside which would go into the engine coolant system so that the coolant would circulate through the vacuum jacket and cook stew or soup or whatever was inside where hot/cold drinks normally go. The vacuum flask shape could also be fitted in the gap between engine and washer bottle. The only problem was how to get so snap dry fittings so that I could take it in and out without losing coolant each time. Never did solve that last one, so the idea never did get built.

Of course, if as soup/stew cooker could be buiilt from a vacuum flask, the same principal could be applied to a shallow flat container for heating pies, foil coocking chicken.fish etc.

I also note that although the coolant does not get that hot, 80 degC should be enough to cook a lot of different foods, temperatures like that or less are widely used in the latest "sous-vide" water bath techniques in some restaurants.
Back to top Go down
Mac
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Mac

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 am

I had a suzuki jimny and had an oven made for pasties and the likes whilst laning

here it is........
Engine ovens Te13

Someone then bought it from me and took it on the Mongol Rally.
Engine ovens Jimny2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine ovens Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine ovens   Engine ovens Empty

Back to top Go down

Engine ovens
Page 1 of 1