4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Pumba build thread

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 5:27 pm

I will have a look at the wheel arch tanks...I remember them being relatively common when I lived in South Africa. Thanks for reminding me Tom. I do want to get some weight into the back end of the 90 as the ride is just too bouncy with the short wheel base and all weight forward.

Collected Pumba from Autoland in Houghton Regis yesterday. New front discs, brake pads all around and a new MOT! Time to dive back in on the long list of projects to get it ready for overlanding....
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Pumba build thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pumba build thread   Pumba build thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Well, I suppose it is time for another update....probably the biggest job done was to pull out the complete aftermarket suspension and replace it with a OE set up. I know this goes against the trend that most everyone normally signs up to...lifting, lowering, gas shocks, tubular shock mounts, dislocation cones....etc, etc...but it had to be done.

When I got Tembo six years ago and was getting it ready for certification (a Canadian version of an MOT) it needed new shocks. The shop owner had a full set of OE shocks he had swapped out for another customer and I snapped them up. Those shocks and original military springs has taken Tembo to three continents now and pretty comfortably across fields of head-sized boulders, sand, rock, mud and tar. For most things (except electrics) I always thought the engineers at LR who spent years testing everything, probably came up with an optimal general set up. Since Pumba is a daily driver as well as a future overland vehicle, it needs a general use suspension. Especially since it is not being loaded down with bolt on bits.

So Pumba sits about 1.5" lower now...back to OE ride height and feels much more comfortable on the road. It was a long day of work with lots of grinding, grunting, banged knuckles and a sore back...but worth it.
Back to top Go down

Pumba build thread
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2