4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Safety/Security tips.

Go down 
+10
chally2
tuggy
DEF110
simonandsarah
rustyrhinos
landroverjack
Tom Mc
Assassin
roamingman
4x4overlander
14 posters
AuthorMessage
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

Safety/Security tips. Empty
PostSubject: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:23 am

Safety is important and if you travel widely you may land up in rather less safe places then normal.

Carry two wallets. Your main one which is concealed and a real 'dummy' wallet

'Dummy' wallet has all those out of date store cards in, a few thousand dong some rupees etc. If you are mugged give your dummy wallet out rather then risk being stabbed etc.

Car keys. Loose those and you could be in big trouble. Put one somewhere on outside of vehicle which is secure but easy to get at without complicated tools

Credit/debit cards have at least two, one for each major bank system. If the Visa system is down the mastero system might be working.

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:34 am

All sounds good,
my problem with keys, this Disco we just aquired has an imobliser and only on dongle to work it, so is it possable to get a spare does any one know, thanks in advance. adore cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:35 am

For a 300 TDi yes, so would imagine for a D1 as well.

Sometimes can be found on ebay.

You need to programme fob to vehicle which means that it is a garage job I believe.

Not main dealer but a good indie dealer should sort you out

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 pm

Some excellent advice, but i would suggest carrying a dummy set of keys instead of two sets which fit the vehicle, if they get a set which fit you could lose your vehicle or its contents before you return to it.

I would suggest also an in vehicle safe, these are mounted below the floor in an obscure area such as the load floor, a section is cut out and hinged, a steel box is welded in to house the safe, and the floor is dropped back to its normal position.

In addition i would suggest everything is screwed down with retaining clamps which can be locked, or something such as a high security chain is fitted to things which cannot be locked, the visible deterrent is usually enough to make thieves attack a less secure vehicle.

One system i use regularly for vehicle security is a very simple device, it is a fuel shut off valve, nothing more than a manually operated valve which protrudes through the vehicle floor at an appropriate point, when you just stop and close it, drop the carpet back on top and it is invisible, and thieves spend hours trying to start a vehicle with no fuel.

Windows are vulnerable so fitting a tinting film on the inside stops a lot of break in;s as many security films are available, they are also available in clear for front side windows and windscreens. I can attest to their strength as i has a windscreen hit by a brick thrown at high speed from a fast moving lorry, normally it would have gone straight through, but it hit the glass and trashed it completely, the film held and also prevented a face full of glass.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 8:08 pm

All good advice Assassin, especially the real 'dummy' wallet. Personally I never carry a wallet, but that is an excellent idea for 'iffy' situations in any part of the world - even in the UK on a Saturday night; simple and effective. Hand it over, they run off and leave you alone. Like it.

I made a lockable box under both the Range Rover's seats for my Dakar excursion. They were only simple hinged alloy flaps with a lock, but again effective.

A trick the locals play in Africa is for the kids to approach the front of your vehicle and start fiddling with the spot lights, grille or whatever. You see it and promptly get out and run around the front to see what they are up whilst telling them to censored . The result? Whoever was lurking around the back will dive into the open door and whatever isn't tied down gets swiped. Not so bad with four doors as usually they are confined just to the front dash, door pockets and cubby box, bad enough, but with the 2-door RR with their big long driver's door they could even gain access to whatever was on the floor behind the driver's seat or on the back seat.

Grrrr!!!! It's human reaction to jump out! So what's the alternative, let them unscrew your spotlight or fiddle with your winch? I hate tea-leaves. angry
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:05 pm

thanks Brendan will look into that clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
landroverjack
Rookie
Rookie
landroverjack

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:52 am

Tom Mc wrote:
All good advice Assassin, especially the real 'dummy' wallet. Personally I never carry a wallet, but that is an excellent idea for 'iffy' situations in any part of the world - even in the UK on a Saturday night; simple and effective. Hand it over, they run off and leave you alone. Like it.

I made a lockable box under both the Range Rover's seats for my Dakar excursion. They were only simple hinged alloy flaps with a lock, but again effective.

A trick the locals play in Africa is for the kids to approach the front of your vehicle and start fiddling with the spot lights, grille or whatever. You see it and promptly get out and run around the front to see what they are up whilst telling them to censored . The result? Whoever was lurking around the back will dive into the open door and whatever isn't tied down gets swiped. Not so bad with four doors as usually they are confined just to the front dash, door pockets and cubby box, bad enough, but with the 2-door RR with their big long driver's door they could even gain access to whatever was on the floor behind the driver's seat or on the back seat.

Grrrr!!!! It's human reaction to jump out! So what's the alternative, let them unscrew your spotlight or fiddle with your winch? I hate tea-leaves. angry

Fit a ferry horn and, well, you can guess the rest Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 1:50 pm

I never carry a wallet either, the reason is simply that it often leaves an outline in your pocket and people know you are carrying one, it makes you a target for pickpockets as well as muggers.
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 4:00 am

The problem with our Series landie is that they are not very difficult to break into. - just push a window pane in for example. I have done a few bits...I have a guard between the front and the back of the vehicle - yeah, it's bolted, but will stop the quick opportunist. I also bolt my waffle boards over the top of the side windows - so would take time to get into those.

I have an electric cut-off switch and my bonnet is bolted down - again all things that could be broken/figured out eventually, but the way I see it, every bit that is annoying for them is going to slow them down!

Also, anyone looking into my Series can see that there is nothing of any real value in it - so fairly pointless in breaking in for the contents. If they really want to steal some food and water, well, they probably need it more than I do!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 4:38 am

RR

Any vehicle can be easily broken into by most amateurs fairly quickly, just because you have poor security does not mean you have to suffer, often the best security measures are the simple bespoke measures which are not well known, and unique to an individual vehicle.

I had the opportunity, several years ago, to try to break into a security van which was supposedly the best at that time, i applied a little common sense and was into the vehicle within two minutes using normal commercially available equipment, for obvious reasons i will not disclose how it was done, merely they it was easily done. If nothing else it made the vehicle designers sit up and take notice of their pride and joy.

The basic premise of security it to make your vehicle harder and longer to break into than other vehicles, make it as noisy as possible, and ensure nothing of value can be seen, if a crook wants it they will have it, look at the French imported criminals gassing people in campers through the vents. It will depend on what type of criminal it is, and how far they are prepared to go.
Back to top Go down
simonandsarah
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: More tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 10:19 pm

Security is a big concern for us - all important documents are scanned on to USB's including colour photocopy of all bank cards, carnets, import docs. etc - one left with reliable contact in UK, one hidden in van as the stick is so small it would be almost impossible to find - we carry a cheap 3 in 1 printer/scanner copier that will run off our inverter and find it invaluable.

Also use the false wallet ruse with obsolete cards, phone card, variety of low value notes and false PIN numbers'hidden' in the wallet - like you are not supposed to but most people do!

We have a second obsolete findable laptop, have put internal padlocks on side and rear doors and have removed the front door lock release pins so even if a window is broken you can't easily open the door. All other windows are DIY secondary double glazed anyay with acryllic so hard to enter.
Generally we always take the limited valuables we have with us and spread them between us - what is left inside is easily replaced so why worry? Back up pics daily so if the camera goes the memories dont.

Have seen some people hang a meaty looking dog leash on the wing mirror to infer there is a mutt about!

We also have a stash of circa £100 in what seems to be a clever hiding place to 'reluctantly' hand over if need be.

Basic principles apply as well - look low key - limit decals, graphics etc. Park appropriately and heed local warnings, always lock up - we put a strong arm device over the steering wheel, close all curtains and leave a small battery operated radio on medium volume tuned to a local station that will last for hours - use rechargeables.

Recently secured a small personal attack alarm inside my wallet and hooked up to my belt loop so if it gets knicked the alarm will a)sound and b) help locate the missing item and perp!

Having said all the above the nearest yet we have come to a melt down was when I just dropped my wallet in a very popular tourist spot and found it had been handed in within 5 minutes to the tea counter - good old OZ.
www.sastt.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
DEF110
Rookie
Rookie
DEF110

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 am

Just echoing what Rustyrhino said really. Many, many years ago I had a XR3 (showing my age now!). doh

I put a separate electrical switch in the ignition line. This extra switch was flush mounted, placed in the roof of the glove box, which itself was also lockable. It was bit of a pain to fit with moving the plastic trim around the steering column to get to the wiring and then having to feed the wires through to the passenger side. But in the end well worth it for the piece of mind. Thankfully I never found out if this switched would have made the difference or not!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 am

[quote="DEF110"]Just echoing what Rustyrhino said really. Many, many years ago I had a XR3 (showing my age now!). doh

I put a separate electrical switch in the ignition line. This extra switch was flush mounted, placed in the roof of the glove box, which itself was also lockable. It was bit of a pain to fit with moving the plastic trim around the steering column to get to the wiring and then having to feed the wires through to the passenger side. But in the end well worth it for the piece of mind. Thankfully I never found out if this switched would have made the difference or not!

I wasnt so lucky,,,i had my black sexy XR3 stolen years ago,,,,,,bbbaaa humbug,,,,,
and this week my mates mum was followed home and as she was going thru the front door this guy knocked her to the floor and ripped her gold necklace from her,,,she was very brused but she is ok very shaken,, mad mad censored ,so things down here arnt all rosie theres some scumbags down here we have to be very carefull and have our witts about us,,we were robbed on the road last year,,,now i never stop for anybody or anything,,,, mad

Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

PostSubject: soft tops   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 2:08 am

Has any one gone to Morocco with a soft top. I'm planning to go as a support vehicle in my 101 GS. It would be great if the back was empty but it's not going to be. I can't afford or don't want to change it to a hard top I thought about ply boarding up the sides. I already have a gate on the back.

It would be fuel etc above my lockable lockers

Safety/Security tips. Img_1716

Any other tips
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 11:28 am

Vehicle security is ALWAYS going to be an issue, whatever country you are in. There is no such thing as the perfectly secure vehcile, except in movies.
I worked in vehicle rental for many years and my drivers and customers were forever losing/misplacing/locking keys in the vehicles. I reckon I could have made a good living nicking cars if I had wanted to. Among the EASIEST to get into (admittedly a few years ago, but they haven't really changed much), were the Mondeo. Focus, BMW's - all of them, Range rover, Astra,Vectra,....get the picture. Interestingly, one of the hardest to get into WITHOUT damaging it, which is the key here, was the Mark3 Festa!

The main thing, as already said, is MAKE IT DIFFICULT.MAKE IT NOISY. MAKE IT TIME CONSUMING. They are unlikely to bother then, unless they want something specific - then you will never stop the buggers.
Back to top Go down
shubhrajoshi1
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Jan 03, 2012 7:54 pm

Hi,

Travel safety and security should be at the top of your packing listfor any international travel, whether a short vacation or business trip or an extended tour or assignment overseas.

The world is a beautiful place to explore, with so much to see and do that is different from your own culture. As many expatriates will tell you, living in a foreign country can be even more exciting and challenging because you become so immersed in the culture.
Back to top Go down
http://www.globehunters.com/Flights/Miami-Flights.htm
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 6:52 am

Thanks all for the valuable tips.

Another question - has anyone installed a tracking device in their vehicle? Any suggestions on manufacturer etc?

All information is valuable - even suggestions on what to avoid!

kind regards
African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
http://www.kapp2cape.net
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyTue Mar 27, 2012 7:42 am

A guy by the name of Tim Holway at www.3ARC.com supplied a tracker for my Landy Rally Euro 4x4 Charity Drive four years on the trot. Worked a treat every time, very helpful from start to finish, Say no more!

Tim can be contacted on tim@3arc.com, say Tom McGuigan of Landy Rally suggested you contact him. If nothing else, pick his brains, nice bloke!
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:11 am

Hi Tom

Thanks for the pointer. thumbsup I'll have a look and drop Tim a note.

rgds
African GirlChild

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 11:15 am

Many tracker companies exist, we have them in nearly all our company vehicles so we can track them in real time, and many variants of these systems exist for private individuals vehicles.
Back to top Go down
GirlChild
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
GirlChild

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 4:58 am

Assassin - any particular ones you use? I realise there are a few out there, so suggestions welcome.

African GirlChild
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 5:23 am

We switched the company trucks from Volvo to Scania a couple of years ago, as part of the package they threw in their satellite tracking facility free of charge to sweeten the deal, and also retro fitted the modules to a number of our vans also, therefore we use the worldwide Scania package as many of our vehicles may be anywhere in the world.
Back to top Go down
andy-lightweight
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andy-lightweight

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:16 am

we did morocco in a soft top lightweight, I put steel mesh on the inside of the canvas for added security,

totaly agree with all the hints and tips, we follow them all, be vigulant and be aware of your surroundings and who is around you or the rest of the party,

try leaving your keys in the house and breaking in to your vehicle or you house for that matter,

dont leave your vehicle unattended if poss,

if you are doing the dessert in a rag top, best piece or one of the best bits of kit was a canvs tarp, it covered every thing once on the go, the dust gets every where.

Safety/Security tips. Morroc14
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:49 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Safety/Security tips.   Safety/Security tips. Empty

Back to top Go down

Safety/Security tips.
Page 1 of 1