4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

North West Spain 2017

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tug Boat
Rookie
Rookie

North West Spain 2017 Empty
PostSubject: North West Spain 2017   North West Spain 2017 EmptyThu May 19, 2016 11:33 pm

Hi Guys
Want to plan a trip to the North West of Spain in 2017 September time.
Please has anybody been in the area, if so where?
Routes ideas of best areas to visit?
Camp sites?

Any advice welcome Smile

Cheers
Simon
AKA Tug Boat

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: North West Spain 2017   North West Spain 2017 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 2:31 am

You say NW Spain, so don't know if you'll be arriving via the Santander or Bilbao ferries or driving down through France. Assuming you'll be heading SE from Santander/Bilbao, or S via Bayonne for that matter, a great place to visit is an area I nicknamed ‘the dustbowl’ when we used to run Landy Rally (Alps and Spanish Pyrenees Charity Drive). The dustbowl is a national park in Navarra called “Parc Natural Bardenas Reales” located southeast of Pamplona, just north of Tudela; it’s truly amazing. Boasting designated off-road tracks though a semi-arid desert, it comes complete with vultures, eagles, etc. … the works! Switch to Earth in Google to see what I mean. There is a lake there which is worth investigating, plus the famous 'termite mound' - my nickname again! There is a photo of it at the bottom of the Google Maps Earth page. When you view it in the flesh, you'll see there are four layers of rock at it's peak ... this is the original level of the ground, the rest has eroded away over centuries to form this impressive pyramid.

The best entrance to the park is heading east from a town called Arguedas (approx. 12km north of Tudela on the NA 134), then as you hit the gravel keep heading east until you head north and complete an entire loop of the area.

Of course you can find info about the area via the internet, but the map you’ll need for “Parc Natural Bardenas Reales” (with off-road routes clearly marked) is Michelin Regional 574 Catalunya/Aragon/Andorra 1/400 000 1cm: 4km. Only £3.99 - £4.99 off the net - mapsman is where go, good price and reliable: www.mapsman.com

Wiki is as good a place as any to start researching it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales - the place is magical.

Also, depending how long you are there, an excellent campsite can be found in Ejea de los Caballeros – again east of Arguedas and Tudela:-

Camping Complejo Bolaso
c/o Rafael Avellana
Crta. Gallur-Sanguesa, km.46.1
CP. 50600 (Ejea de los Caballeros)
Zaragoza
Spain
Tel. 976 66 80 43
GPS N: 42º10’41’’ W: 1º11’05‘’
www.bolaso.es

Really helpful owner (Rafael) and his son who speaks very good English, plus a great restaurant. Say you know Tom McGuigan of Landy Rally, they always associate me with Landy Rally (in case you weren't aware, Landy Rally was a 4x4 charity drive though the Alps and Pyrenees held from 2007 - 20011).

The other place to visit if you have time is the tax-haven of Andorra, where a you can buy branded vodka/whisky for 29 euros – for a massive 4½ litre bottle (that was a few years ago, but still it's probably only 35 euros at today's prices). Of course, being off-roaders, the only way to enter/exit the country is via the “Smuggler’s Route”. Again very easy once you know. It’s a route we tend to keep to ourselves, so please don’t go broadcasting it on the net (as some idiots have done in the past). PM me for precise directions.
Back to top Go down
Tug Boat
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: North West Spain 2017   North West Spain 2017 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi Tom mc
Cheers for reply, I will look at all info suggested, all looks really helpful.
I am planning on ferry to Santander/ Bilbo then driving.
The dust bowl and camping connections are helpful and I will message you in due course re smugglers route sounds interesting.
I'll look up all on google and get suggested maps once looked I'll look you up,
Cheers again chat soon
Simon
AKA Tug Boat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North West Spain 2017   North West Spain 2017 Empty

Back to top Go down

North West Spain 2017
Page 1 of 1