4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Return to NE Morocco 2015

Go down 
+2
Tembo
Tom Mc
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Return to NE Morocco 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 6:09 am

From Bounedib campsite...

Trip going very well for five of us. My son and I in Tembo, Steve (colley2.Cool, Gary (wideformat4x4) and John (silverfox), crossed into Morocco on 05 April. Kevin (Roamingman) had a clutch release bearing go in Tarifa and could not cross with us. Ian (mudplugger) decided to stay with Kevin.

In Morocco we set off through the Atlas's and arrived in Taza from where we resupplied and launched into the desert. Our crossing of the Rekkam plateau was a challenge with sandstorms, high winds and chilly nights at an altitude of 1400m. Lots of driving by compass bearing through wild desert terrain. After reaching Tendrara we resupplied again and went in search of Chott Tigri where the 300 French Foreign Legionnaires fought a one-sided battle with 6000 Berber tribesman and triumphed a long time ago. Lots of small sand dunes as well which we used to practice our technique ahead of crossing the erg's further south.

After a resupply in Bouarfa, we headed south to the old abandoned railway station set up to process WWII POWs. Hoping to camp there we found it was now a squatter camp and after a few quick photos, moved on. We travelled for couple of days west through the Korima pass to more closely examine the 'tomb' we spotted in 2013. It turned out to be a strange, but entirely natural feature. After camping in a dry wadi below the 'tomb' we headed west and south again to discover a very nice campsite in Bounedib, run by a pair of Frenchman. When we heard they had hot showers, cold beer and wifi we decided a rest day was in order. Steve has blown a rear shock and the campsite owners are helping find a pair of shocks that will fit a Vauxhall Frontera tomorrow.

Trip has been a challenge so far. Tough terrain, strong winds and baking desert. Once Steve has his new shocks we set off south for Erg Chebbi, Erg Chegaga and any other sand we can find before turning back north.

Our thoughts go with Kevin/Dilys and Ian/Jackie who have headed back to UK (assuming Kevin's Disco is repaired). Morocco will still be here whenever they are ready to try again.

Might try to load some pics tomorrow.

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 11:02 am

What? Poor ol' Yoda 'n' Dil, they really don't have much luck. Gutted too for Ian & Jackie, but fair play for keeping them company. Surprised they didn't have the clutch fixed and meet up with the rest of you en route, it's not a mammoth task after all. Guess we'll find out later why they didn't do that. Hopefully they can have some fun in Spain before they go back. Yoda knows how to get to the 'dust bowl' (email for directions if you've forgotten Kevin), they could have a bimble around there for a few days, Jackie and Ian would love it there too. Then again the resident vultures will be licking their lips at the prospect of a tasty snack heading their way, perhaps heading back to Blighty might be the better option after all. Wink

As for you five, it sounds great so far - thanks for the update. Still VERY jealous. Not too sure if having been to Morocco before makes it easier or harder, 'cause I know how great the country is, but if truth be known I'm content in the knowledge I'm doing the right thing by staying behind to concentrate on the shows. Still frustrating though!

Have fun y'all, keep on trucking. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 7:54 pm

Some pics...

Return to NE Morocco 2015 Smalle10

Return to NE Morocco 2015 Smalle11

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi all still in Terifia today is the third time they are going to take out gearbox,
will write a full report later
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 4:07 am

What a shame Tuggy's not in Algeciras any more. Only up the road from you, he would have sorted it quick smart! As you say, no doubt we'll hear the gruesome details later.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
What a shame Tuggy's not in Algeciras any more. Only up the road from you, he would have sorted it quick smart! As you say, no doubt we'll hear the gruesome details later.

yea sorry im not there i know of somebody who will do it but i have only just seen this post are they still there...."}
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 9:10 pm

yes still here tuggy, they have had to take out the gearbox 3 times, but because the third time
was their fault they are paying for their mistake, i think they put the oil seal in the wrong way,
so we have to phone at 4pm to see if it ready, I can not see way it takes them all day to put it back
together, they received the new part yesterday afternoon.
Back to top Go down
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
diesel_jim

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 2:25 am

I can think of worse places to be stranded than Tarifa though... nice bars and restaurants. lovely!

My parents were there last week.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptySun Apr 19, 2015 5:33 am

Trip update....
Five of us reached Merzouga/Erg Chebbi two days ago and had some fun playing in the sand. Yesterday morning, Steve and Gary turned and headed back to Cueta. Both were having mechanical problems. John, my son and I did a full loop around Erg Chebbi playing in the dues and then after a resupply in Merzouga, headed southwest along the border. Crossed some tough, rugged terrain and camped up in the lee of some dunes. Today however the weather closed in. High winds, sand flying and rain. We started off heading for Zagora/Erg Chegaga but the weather worsened, so turned north, found some tar and headed for a campsite just south of Erfoud. Having a relaxing evening in a chalet and will plan our next move once we have checked the weather for the next few days.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Blimey, then there were two. It sounds as if you found some lovely terrain, keep on trucking guys. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:48 pm

We got away Friday morning, Ian and Jackie wanted to get home so went to Bilbao to get ferry, bit to dear for us so have come up to Normandy to see friends, for a few days.
Back to top Go down
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 6:34 am

Got home today the ferry was ok no point in driving back when a nice cabin with real beds was on offer after sleeping in the 110 for 15 nights in Tarifia waiting for Kevin's Disco to be fixed (hope it makes it home without any more dramas).Hope to complete the trip some time soon.Hope the others are all ok and will catch up with them soon
Back to top Go down
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
diesel_jim

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 pm

Good news you're back OK. cheers1
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 5:42 am

John, my son and I now back in Tarifa. Our trip was great with one section crossing 7500 ft altitude and an argument about whether or not we were well inside Algeria for an hour or so. Great trip. All together now for beer and stories.
Back to top Go down
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 5:52 am

Good to hear you are back in Spain ok hope to catch up for some of the stories soon
Back to top Go down
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
diesel_jim

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 5:55 am

@ Tembo....slightly off topic... was browsing in the paper shop yesterday at one of the LR comics, I forget which one it was, and there were several pictures of your stripped down 110.

I think the article was regarding summer driving and soft top rovers... there was a rather tasty looking girl driving a 110 SW with canvas roof.

It was very nice..... 110 was OK. Wink
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 6:46 am

Hi glad to here you are know in Spain, hope to here all about the trip in September.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2015 10:20 pm

Yep, that was Tembo in an LRM shoot. They hired a model to pose with two trucks while my wife and I posed with ours. Haven't seen article yet so no idea what shots they used. Something to chase up when I am back.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 5:05 am

Pleased that all are safe 'n' sound ... eventually! Love the comment about "whether or not we were well inside Algeria for an hour or so. Opps! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyTue Apr 28, 2015 8:28 am

We are now back in the UK
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyThu Apr 30, 2015 5:46 pm

John, my son and I are on ferry from Bilboa today, so back to UK tomorrow. So ends the second trip...although Gary is still wandering around out here in Spain for a while yet. Full hot wash up in a few days. Some new lessons learned, tested some new kit and some thoughts about future trips. Videos and more pics to come.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 8:55 am

good to see your all back safe.......catchups at AO15...... thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Mudplugging
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyFri May 01, 2015 7:26 pm

glad to hear you are all back safe and sound hope your planing the next trip shame we missed out this time
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:52 am

Ditto, on your safe return and the fact I missed out too. That's life. Sad
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 3:38 am

We arrived home yesterday did loos my phone on the way from Dover to Blackpool.

We thank Ian and Jakie for staying with us in Terifa, for the 10 days it took the garage to sort the motor, unbelievable it took so long, they took the gearbox out 3 times, last time it was their fault so did not charge.

Glad to be back home, needed to gat firewood for the fire and order coal, next job when it stops raining is to check over the motor, maybe give it a service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Return to NE Morocco 2015   Return to NE Morocco 2015 Empty

Back to top Go down

Return to NE Morocco 2015
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next