4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

N.E. Morocco

Go down 
+9
landroversandwine
tuggy
glenn321
jellybenitez
sundowners
colley2.8
Tom Mc
roamingman
Tembo
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 7:25 pm

Okay, welcome to our current trip thread. After a year of planning we are all off tomorrow. Two vehicles have already left taking the long way down through France and the other three leave tomorrow by ferry. We are all meeting up at a campsite just outside Algeciras and then taking the ferry across. Hopefully we can update on our progress as we go.

All members of the trip are from this forum. Going along are:

Wideformat4x4
Silverfox
Roamingman +1
Colley2.8
Tembo

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyThu Oct 10, 2013 9:28 pm

Hi James good idea to move to ongoing, will be going acros to Spain tomorow, will be looking
For a wild camp for a few nights hopfully on s beach then onmto campsite for early morning
On the 14/10 also have a look at the ferry port, looking forward to see every body agin hope
all proplems sorted, for every body.clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 1:36 am

Glad to hear you two are going well. See you on the 14th in Tarifa!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 8:55 am

Gutted as I am chaps (and chapesses) not to be with you, it's probably the best decision I've made for ages. Why? Well as you know I have to maintain the momentum that ADVENTURE OVERLAND generated this year, and as to prove the point, I had two hastily arranged meetings today that will take AO`14 to another level.

In addition, I have also been contacted by a major player in the 4x4 industry. He too wants to meet up pronto, so as I said, although it would have been great to join you guys, swanning off to Morocco would have been detrimental to the show.

So, good luck one and all (I know you view it as bad luck your man losing your licence Steve, not to mention the long drag over to Swansea, but count your lucky stars you could get a replacement so quickly:cheers: ) I wish you Bon Voyage and remember - I'll be there in spirit!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 5:16 am

It appears that at 19:18 on a Friday evening, Yoda is online down in Spain - How's it going mate ?

EDITED AT 19:23 - Nope, missed him, probably gone for a paella, I know how much he & his better 'arf like spicy food ... not!!!
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 5:32 am

Well I did make a post it seems to have gone to another thred, so try again, we have a promlem with
the gearbox, macking a squeeling noise in high range so put it in low rage no noise so upset some
Spanish drivers today, 15 miles at 20mph to a town to find a garage, have to wait till morning
to see the problem, willreport has and when. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:48 am

Sawdust! Won't do the gearbox any good, but it'll certainly quieten it down. Being of a certain age you'll know that one already of course, 'cause unscrupulous motor dealers back in the day would 'doctor' whining transmissions in order to sell vehicles. Don't know if it would work on a "squealing" gearbox though?

Good luck with the verdict.
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 8:45 pm

That's bad news yoda. Hope you manage to get it sorted.
Me, John and James are currently on the ferry and will be in Santander at 16:30 today.
The weather is lovely and the sea is like a duck pond so it's been a pleasant journey so far.
Yoda if there is anything we can do e.g pick parts up etc on our way south though Spain, just let us know.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 12, 2013 11:47 pm

I was shown to a garage last night and told he would open at 5pm but it did not happen
was ready for opening at 8 9am but no one came guy came next door so askef him
what time he opened and was. Told a national holiday today not open till monday so
I checked the oil hoping it might be that but it was fulll, not sure what to do. I thought I had breakdown cover but the
the aa say no, trying to find out if I did it with motor insurance.clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 1:26 am

Haven't heard anything more from Yoda since Saturday about the state of his gearbox. Let's hope that "no news is good news".
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 am

Well, an update...

We have all successfully RV'd in Tarifa. Yoda discovered his problem was just low oil level in his transfer case and has it sorted. Gary dropped off the missus in Malaga and came on down. John, Steve and I crossed Spain in one marathon day of 14 hours driving. We all met up at the Tarifa campsite last night and had a few beers by the ocean staring across at the lights of Morocco.

Today we went down to Algeciras and found the port, got our tickets and resupplied from the supermarket. The rest of the day was spent on maintenance and tomorrow morning we will be taking an early ferry to get a good start on the day.

So, the adventure starts tomorrow. Yoda has the first leg and we are crossing the Atlas mountains headed for the Rekkam Plateau. Will update again when we have some wifi.

Tom, wish you were here but see that Fate has other plans for you...

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 6:38 am

Great news, you all made it! clapping 

"Crossing the Atlas Mountains" bawling 

Mustn't grumble though, as mentioned it was essential I was here show-wise, PLUS I had a great week because it was a case of 'the right place at the right time'.

Firstly, bought an off-road prepared 1999 3.9 V8 Disco on LPG for £900 with a starting problem. Cost me £60 to have fixed (immobiliser) now worth up to £2,500 depending on the market. thumbsup 

Then no sooner was that sorted, up pops this superb road-going 1997 300 Tdi with 12 months MOT on it. Got it for a song, potentially it could return £1,000 profit. thumbsup thumbsup 

Decisions decisions - do I keep one of the Discos or flog them both? Either way, at long last I can finally get around to resurrecting my Range Rover ambulance. It will turn into a camper as I've promised for the past 3+ years, looks if it will actually happen.

Thanks for the update Tembo ... as and when mate.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 6:49 am

Well we are in Morocco, had a few problems, at the border they would not let tembo though because it was green told him to paint it so did that and all was ok, now a nice shade of white/pink, John a a problem with gearbox now sorted, then James got a flat so changed that, met up with a young land named Will he had oil pressure problem, he now sorted and will tag along with us for a day or two. Setting of tomorrow 18\10 on our drive over the mountains.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 9:46 am

They sure don't like green 4x4's in Africa, understandable. Question you got to ask yourself, with what's going on in the world today, would you want to be sitting in a dark green Landy? I know I wouldn't, surprised Tembo would either.

Bet he loves that white/pink colour scheme, matches his eyes! Laughing
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi
Sooo glad yoda sorted his g/box problem so easily-----that was quite a worry---------

Looking forward to more posts of your progress---

Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
jellybenitez
Cleaner
Cleaner
jellybenitez

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptyFri Oct 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Good luck to you all, have a fab trip. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
glenn321
Rookie
Rookie

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: longshot    N.E. Morocco  EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi Guys,

Maybe a long shot but I will be in Morocco on Friday, I'm heading over alone and am currently sitting on the ferry awaiting to doc at Santander. Would you guys be up for meeting for a few days? maybe even a week?

I have a route planned but would be happy to tag along with you guys and meet some new faces in such a fantastic place.

Understand if you don't want a random newbie tagging along but if you don't ask you don't get hey haha.

Maybe see you all soon.

Regards,

Glenn
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 3:01 am

guys good to hear you all made it safe i was in gibraltar on 8th -13th and i was going to catch up with you at tarifa but i think i was a couple of days early....ok take it easy and enjoy ....remember plenty of pics.....thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 4:33 am

Figuig, Morocco!

Well, a bit behind schedule but finally arrived in Figuig. We are happily ensconced in the Hotel Figuig, sitting on the terrace using the free wifi and enjoying the shade of the date palms.

The trip so far has been amazing. Whoever thinks this part of Morocco is boring has been missing some great terrain. After getting John's gearbox sorted in Chefchouen we headed for Taza turning south shortly afterwards into the Middle Atlas. Spent four great days in high mountain tracks, deep ravines and hairy switchbacks. Found a little place hidden in the mountains we nicknamed Shangri-la as they had no name for it but a luscious green valley and really nice people, all hidden at the end of a long, winding track that dead ends in a gorge.

From there we backtracked to Guercif as we could not find a way through the mountains without using tar. By then Yoda's truck had lost its power steering and cracked a motor mount in the rough terrain. Got that welded up and the power steering temporarily fixed up and head up onto the Rekkam Plateau. That lead to several spectacular days either following rough tracks or just heading cross country on a compass bearing.

We pulled into Missour to resupply and Yoda's power steering blew out again, so tracked down a Land Rover mechanic and got that sorted out properly this time. After that it was south east into the desert and more days of wild camping and navigating through the sandy valleys on a compass bearing. We did Cris Scott's ME6 route and camped in the Koriba Pass last night before heading into Figuig today.

We are going to have a rest day tomorrow, do some laundry and vehicle maintenance and then start our legs back across Orientale province ending up back in Cueta.

So far we have found rock arches, a strange temple/tomb carved into the side of a mountain, herds of camels, painted nomads and some pretty amazing scenery.

N.E. Morocco  Img_0110
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 4:40 am

N.E. Morocco  Img_0111

N.E. Morocco  Img_0010
Back to top Go down
landroversandwine
Rookie
Rookie

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 6:10 am

Fantastic pics and thanks for the write up.

Excellent, cheers Mark
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 7:17 am

nice pics guys...and nice paint job tembo.....affraid 
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 11:37 am

Pretty in pink! laughing pound 
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySat Oct 26, 2013 5:38 pm

Well, I actually chose a pic where Tembo looks more white than pink. I have gotten used to it now and the locals think it is hilarious...I get lots of smiles and chuckles. [i] had planned on painting it before I left but was overseas pretty much for a month before the trip and just had no time. C'est la vie...

Have to say though...loving the open top in the desert...always a cool breeze and the dust just blows past rather than swirling around in a cab. Tembo is also working well as a camera vehicle. I have Gopro mounts all over and pretty much 360 degree views. Am getting some great footage for a video when we get back.
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 2:19 am

Hi
I just LOVE that ' hole in the wall' spot-------thanks for posting those pics----would we get there in our 8ft wide camper ???-----I'm sure I can see it in that pic near your camp Very Happy Smile
If all goes well, we should be down that way just after X-mas Smile Smile  
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

N.E. Morocco  Empty
PostSubject: Re: N.E. Morocco    N.E. Morocco  Empty

Back to top Go down

N.E. Morocco
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next