4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Peej

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Empty
PostSubject: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 7:37 pm

after our first outing with peej I decided that cooking at ground level wasn't for me, "we need a shelf to cook on".....Brilliant! where can I find a GADGET to fit on the tailgate that will let me cook Standing up on our next trip, mmmmmmm?
after perusing the internet and seeing lots of expensive fold away aluminium jobbies, I came up with this!

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2312

The clothes airer from our caravan, hooks on the back door, mdf shelf with metal sheet on top, windbreak from our old camp kitchen. The whole thing folds down to 16" x 20" x 3/4" and slips under the false floor ( A KISS part Tuggy)

well not that simple really, putting it together is like wrestling a live set of bagpipes, it has to come off the door to close the door and really, barely adequate for the job but nevertheless it worked for our Skye road Trip in oct 2012 ( I'll post that in Completed trips)

Sadly the bug had bitten big time and a mark 2 version was required in time for our 2013 Road trip so remembering all that I didn't like about the mark 1 shelf this is what I came up with this time.......

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2910

Sturdy, more convenient size, folds away and the door will close with it fitted, cost £20

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2911

OK so good so far, after the Skye trip we also realised we needed better storage for essentials, tools (little did we know how essential these would be!), food, stove, water etc and we wanted to be able to leave the back seats in but still have the option to drive and wild camp when we got the urge. A new bed platform was required that would accommodate the different floor levels when the seat is folded down and when the seat is up would still leave the rear section in place with essentials still inside and so the Tardis floor was born...

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2912

Room for a 6 footer, additional items installed were elastic Cargo nets to stuff clothes behind, roof panels with foam for insulation and a 12v strip light wired independently of the ignition and standard interior lights disconnected.

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2913

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2914

The Essentials

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2915

There You have it, all prepared for the 2013 road trip (i'll post that in completed trips section)

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Imgp2916
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyWed Nov 27, 2013 8:27 pm

Well done,
You will find it will be a work in progres, has you find new ideas, after our trip to Morocco we have differant ideas so work over the winter. clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Peej

PostSubject: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two    DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 9:59 am

roamingman wrote:
Well done,
You will find it will be a work in progres, has you find new ideas, after our trip to Morocco we have differant ideas so work over the winter.  clinking teacups 
Spot on, for bigger trips we are going to need more storage so the seats will have to come out again and new supports for the front floor section. this will give us options for short trips (seats in) and long trips (seats out)!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyThu Nov 28, 2013 11:36 am

More storage for more whisky; like it!

Have the same problem with my Range Rover ambulance-come-camper. It have a back door similar your your Jeep. Okay, it may be four times higher, but basically it's the same as it is hinged one side.

I also intend to have the cooker attached to the back door, that way it with some kind of awning that can be erected beyond the rear of the vehicle, I too can stand up while cooking - plus be weatherproof at the same time! If on the other hand I turn up for the night and it is is cold, wet' n' windy, I can still cook inside the vehicle at a pinch without opening the back door. Makes sense to me.

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Landy_10
Back to top Go down
Peej
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4
Peej

PostSubject: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two    DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 3:48 am

Tom Mc wrote:
More storage for more whisky; like it!

Have the same problem with my Range Rover ambulance-come-camper. It have a back door similar your your Jeep. Okay, it may be four times higher, but basically it's the same as it is hinged one side.

I also intend to have the cooker attached to the back door, that way it with some kind of awning that can be erected beyond the rear of the vehicle, I too can stand up while cooking - plus be weatherproof at the same time! If on the other hand I turn up for the night and it is is cold, wet' n' windy, I can still cook inside the vehicle at a pinch without opening the back door. Makes sense to me.

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Landy_10

hi Tom
It's been a long time since I've seen one of those, look forward to seeing it finished. A roll out or a batwing awning that will cover the quadrant when the door is open may be the answer for you or maybe a car tent?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptyMon Dec 02, 2013 1:08 pm

Huh! Will it ever be finished, that's the question? Had it for 3 years so far and it's hardly changed. That's what happens when you're skint (pass round the hat chaps Very Happy ), the roof over one's head tends to take priority.

2014 will be the year it all happens with the camper, you see! clapping clapping clapping 
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two EmptySun Mar 09, 2014 2:32 pm

One possibility is to fit a caravan awning rail round the back of the vehicle and make an awning from tent canvas, fit a groundsheet which comes up from the floor to just above the bumper and you have it covered, or sealed as the case may be.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two   DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two Empty

Back to top Go down

DIY Camper Jeep? Part Two
Page 1 of 1